2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

How the F did SLU not get Blake as a player??

That was funny!

By the way, if I recall correctly, it's correct Romar showed interest....then Sodaberger showed little interest, most likely because Ahearn was primarily an offense guy. Sodaberger saw then Clarke score 40-plus points in one game and that was that.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

Cheeseman, I think you are mis-remembering the timeline on Harrelson. Brad didn't show enough interest in him when he was in high school, or told him we'd like to see how senior year went. Either way, Harrelson was under recruited by SLU. He went on a visit to Western Illinois and committed to Derek Thomas. He then had a huge senior year and decided he didn't want to go to Western Illinois. Ended up doing one year at SWIC because Western Illinois wouldn't release him from his LOI.

By that time Majerus was the head coach at SLU. When he was eventually released by Western Illinois his recruitment blew up and it was indeed between SLU and Kentucky. The glitz and glamor of UK won out.  

I am pretty sure that is what I said - Brad told him to wait until the Spring and the kid did not.  Not sure what I said is different then what you posted.

3 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

That was funny!

By the way, if I recall correctly, it's correct Romar showed interest....then Sodaberger showed little interest, most likely because Ahearn was primarily an offense guy. Sodaberger saw then Clarke score 40-plus points in one game and that was that.

In addition to Ahearn and Harrellson, Mat Shaw with Methdale was another one who reportedly wanted to play for SLU and didn't get an offer. That was Sodie's undoing. Every coach misses on some recruits, but you can't miss the opportunity to land that many quality recruits who actually want to play for your school, but you don't offer because you don't think they're good enough. 

44 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am pretty sure that is what I said - Brad told him to wait until the Spring and the kid did not.  Not sure what I said is different then what you posted.

Admittedly, I mis-read the last part of your post, but it definitely made it sound like Brad was involved when he made the decision to go to Kentucky. In truth, that was all under Majerus' time. Agreed, that Brad's mistake was not offering him in the fall before his high school season and hoping he could grab him in the spring.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

In addition to Ahearn and Harrellson, Mat Shaw with Methdale was another one who reportedly wanted to play for SLU and didn't get an offer. That was Sodie's undoing. Every coach misses on some recruits, but you can't miss the opportunity to land that many quality recruits who actually want to play for your school, but you don't offer because you don't think they're good enough. 

Agreed, SIUC thumped Uncle Sodaberger in recruiting area players, Shaw and others. He was a beast.

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

Admittedly, I mis-read the last part of your post, but it definitely made it sound like Brad was involved when he made the decision to go to Kentucky. In truth, that was all under Majerus' time. Agreed, that Brad's mistake was not offering him in the fall before his high school season and hoping he could grab him in the spring.

Brad was involved.  He was expecting Josh to come back from the trip to KY and sign with us the next day.  This was all after he signed with W IL and then wanted out but could not get released.  He then went to a JUCO and when he was ready to sign with another D1 school Brad was reinvolved and thought he had him.  Brad supposedly felt somewhat betrayed.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Brad was involved.  He was expecting Josh to come back from the trip to KY and sign with us the next day.  This was all after he signed with W IL and then wanted out but could not get released.  He then went to a JUCO and when he was ready to sign with another D1 school Brad was reinvolved and thought he had him.  Brad supposedly felt somewhat betrayed.

Brad was fired in March of 2007. Josh committed to Kentucky in March of 2008. 

From Wikipedia:

In March 2008, Western Illinois fired coach Derek Thomas, and Harrellson was released from his Letter of Intent in April of that year.[3] Harrellson first expressed interest in transferring to the University of Missouri, but the school had no basketball scholarships available.[10] He considered scholarship offers from Iowa, Iowa State, St. Louis, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky.[10]His final decision was between St. Louis and Kentucky.[10] Despite his desire to stay close to home, in part because of his parents' recent divorce, Harrellson chose Kentucky because of the chance for better exposure, which would lead to an opportunity to play professional basketball.

8 hours ago, kshoe said:

Brad was fired in March of 2007. Josh committed to Kentucky in March of 2008. 

From Wikipedia:

In March 2008, Western Illinois fired coach Derek Thomas, and Harrellson was released from his Letter of Intent in April of that year.[3] Harrellson first expressed interest in transferring to the University of Missouri, but the school had no basketball scholarships available.[10] He considered scholarship offers from Iowa, Iowa State, St. Louis, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky.[10]His final decision was between St. Louis and Kentucky.[10] Despite his desire to stay close to home, in part because of his parents' recent divorce, Harrellson chose Kentucky because of the chance for better exposure, which would lead to an opportunity to play professional basketball.

OK

17 hours ago, ACE said:

WE WERE GONNA GET KALEN GRIMES

17 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Time for another special edition podcast!

It would be good - considering that a bit of rewriting of the Sodie era has happened on the board over the last month or two - fanciful recollections of near at-large tourney misses and such.

5 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

All in all…. Josh made the right decision by a loooooooooong shot

He was lucky Crazy Billy Gillispie was fired and Calipari was hired. He actually blossomed his senior with him. Also he got couple good years in the NBA. 

He might done all right with Majerus.

Its ABC eve/day and all we're talking about is where players went 20 years ago to play. We're down BAD.

Also Josh's wiki pic looks like the one kids older brother who would buy everyone booze 

47 minutes ago, Soderball said:

it's not really SLU basketball until you do a full 2.5-hour special solely focused on Blake Ahearn

If he were to ever become SLU's head coach, it would be as if you had told AI to generate a SLU headline based on information solely from this message board. I assume Billikens.com would self destruct in this scenario.

NextYearBill and TheA_Bomb like this

I thought the point of this thread was to discuss a list of coaches that our conservative BOT would actually sign off on?

Meanwhile back in reality, the coaches at Ohio St and Michigan are fighting for their jobs.  Since they are not officially on the market yet I guess an Ahearn subreddit is the best we can do.

7 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

All in all…. Josh made the right decision by a loooooooooong shot

No doubt KY had all the advantages, however, he could have played for Rick. No telling now how much Rick could have improved his game.