GDT: SLU v. Louisiana Tech

SluSignGuy

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Just curious, if it’s not called a play, what would a better thing to call it be?

a waste of time.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dr Bird said:

I would classify the weave as a variation or component of a motion offense, where a decision is made based on what the defense is giving you.

if they ran curls and used the oncomingdefenders as self screens, or faked a hand off and went to the basket.   hey might be a play.  but they dont.   more times than not 4 or 5 handoffs then they set up a half court offense.  imo it is worthless waste of time.  

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Seemed like it was a huge win. A career defining moment. A season saver.  Just wondering if ya' stormed the court? Seems like the kinda thing you do in that situation. You didn't answer. Thanks to HoosierPal for sharing a video. It revealed that sadly no one stormed the court. I guess those in attendance didn't realize the ramifications of the game like you.

But I'll take your word for it. I'm pumped big-time win over Karl Malone and LA TECH!!!!!  That team is legit they were in the NIT 2 years ago. #GOTEAMBLUE

#FORD=Napoleon of Roundball

I hope the B-East Commissioner was watching that'll be on VHS tape we send over for why we should get in. 

CBI here we come!  I'm making hotel reservations don't want the Knights Inn to sell out. When the Billikens roll into town with dozens of fans.

I didn’t mean to trigger you. You ok? Enjoy cheering against the Billikens to fail so you can put on repeat how right you were. 

billikenbill and ACE like this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

if they ran curls and used the oncomingdefenders as self screens, or faked a hand off and went to the basket.   hey might be a play.  but they dont.   more times than not 4 or 5 handoffs then they set up a half court offense.  imo it is worthless waste of time.  

The weave can be effective against a man defense but I agree we rarely use any of the options presented by the weave.  it's strange. 

5 hours ago, Basketbill said:

It is amazing how in a recent game he had 5 assists while never passing 🤔

You’re joking right? He has 5 assists TOTAL in the other 11 games he’s played, while averaging 26+ minutes.  I know it’s the cool thing right now on this board to tell other people how wrong they are, but I’m not wrong on this one.  I have never seen a player in a Billiken uniform pass less, and we just witnessed the Okoro years. 

thetorch likes this

26 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t know how much college basketball you watch besides the Billikens but I see it almost every night including the top teams. It is an effective way of getting people moving instead of just standing. 

If the 69 UCLA bruins used the weave the way the Billikens do, id tell you it was stupid.

The weave is good for alleviating pressure and creating opportunities on an extended defense.  The way we run it (not well), it works a couple of times with teams/coaches we don’t play very often.  After that, it’s kinda waste of time/energy.  I guess it beats having dudes stand in the corners though.

i watch a lot of college basketball.  I’ve never seen a team run it as much as CTF teams do.

brianstl likes this

5 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

The weave is good for alleviating pressure and creating opportunities on an extended defense.  The way we run it (not well), it works a couple of times with teams/coaches we don’t play very often.  After that, it’s kinda waste of time/energy.  I guess it beats having dudes stand in the corners though.

i watch a lot of college basketball.  I’ve never seen a team run it as much as CTF teams do.

we stand a lot in the corners as well.   is that a play?  "what's the play coach?"    reply, "go stand in the corner."   team, "got it."

15 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Seemed like it was a huge win. A career defining moment. A season saver.  Just wondering if ya' stormed the court? Seems like the kinda thing you do in that situation. You didn't answer. Thanks to HoosierPal for sharing a video. It revealed that sadly no one stormed the court. I guess those in attendance didn't realize the ramifications of the game like you.

But I'll take your word for it. I'm pumped big-time win over Karl Malone and LA TECH!!!!!  That team is legit they were in the NIT 2 years ago. #GOTEAMBLUE

#FORD=Napoleon of Roundball

I hope the B-East Commissioner was watching that'll be on VHS tape we send over for why we should get in. 

CBI here we come!  I'm making hotel reservations don't want the Knights Inn to sell out. When the Billikens roll into town with dozens of fans.

Where do I apply to receive the minute of my life back spent reading that drivel?

34 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Where do I apply to receive the minute of my life back spent reading that drivel?

Same place you get 7 wasted seasons back. 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Same place you get 7 wasted seasons back. 

Now I have to apply for the 3 seconds back spent on even more drivel. TheA_Bomb seems to have one skill in life, the drivel-drive.

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

well if the weave is a "play", it is most unsuccessful play ever.   imo it only serves to run clock so we can hoist up a bad shot with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.   if you call that a play, well....................

It is actually several plays.  Depends on the particular play they call.  The point of the weave is to be able to start a set play, called by the sidelines, without everyone standing still.  If you watch, you will notice that when the weave finishes, one guy has the ball (obviously) and the other four guys have moved into the position they are supposed to be in for the start of the play that was called.  They then run through several progressions which are intended to get a good shot.  If they don't get a quality look out of the first several options, they ball goes back to the point and, if there's time, they will run another set.  If not, someone will have to try to get their own shot or drive and kick to someone for a shot.

You can say you don't like the results, but you cannot complain that set, pre-planned plays are not called.  There is a plan on just about every offensive possession, and that plan, like with many very successful college teams, starts with a weave.

CenHudDude likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

It is actually several plays.  Depends on the particular play they call.  The point of the weave is to be able to start a set play, called by the sidelines, without everyone standing still.  If you watch, you will notice that when the weave finishes, one guy has the ball (obviously) and the other four guys have moved into the position they are supposed to be in for the start of the play that was called.  They then run through several progressions which are intended to get a good shot.  If they don't get a quality look out of the first several options, they ball goes back to the point and, if there's time, they will run another set.  If not, someone will have to try to get their own shot or drive and kick to someone for a shot.

You can say you don't like the results, but you cannot complain that set, pre-planned plays are not called.  There is a plan on just about every offensive possession, and that plan, like with many very successful college teams, starts with a weave.

Good explanation and one that is easy for the uninitiated to understand. They'll keep complaining because there are those who like their alternative facts.

17 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

You’re joking right? He has 5 assists TOTAL in the other 11 games he’s played, while averaging 26+ minutes.  I know it’s the cool thing right now on this board to tell other people how wrong they are, but I’m not wrong on this one.  I have never seen a player in a Billiken uniform pass less, and we just witnessed the Okoro years. 

Come on lighten up. You used “never”.   yes a tongue in cheek nudge.  He actually had a pretty good game that Saturday. I agree he ought to make the extra pass and he was doing it that game. Underneath the basket in the first half getting OR he should have passed out rather than get stuffed twice . 

On 12/18/2023 at 4:27 PM, gobillsgo said:

I also think we are going to regret not playing Curcic more. I get that minutes are limited, but that kid can play.  I guess we were out of other options, but pretty crazy to put him in for the first time in a close game with 45 seconds or whatever left. 

Out of options and he can shoot threes if it came to it.

On 12/18/2023 at 3:27 PM, gobillsgo said:

I also think we are going to regret not playing Curcic more. I get that minutes are limited, but that kid can play.  I guess we were out of other options, but pretty crazy to put him in for the first time in a close game with 45 seconds or whatever left. 

The kid can shoot, 39% on 13 3pt attempts, that's why he was out there to close the game when we were down 6 late. He is a liability handling the ball at this point, clearly looks uncomfortable under pressure and doesn't have great court vision. 

25 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

The kid can shoot, 39% on 13 3pt attempts, that's why he was out there to close the game when we were down 6 late. He is a liability handling the ball at this point, clearly looks uncomfortable under pressure and doesn't have great court vision. 

Well he’s been asked to bring up the ball which isn’t really his game. Don’t know if I’ve seen enough to comment on his court vision.  Wheat I have seen is a player who works hard and doesn’t look out of place, and seems to have potential as a multi level scorer.  Probably our Jimerson heir-  would be a shame to lose him because we didn’t play him in a lost season. 

SLU_Lax likes this

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Well he’s been asked to bring up the ball which isn’t really his game. Don’t know if I’ve seen enough to comment on his court vision.  Wheat I have seen is a player who works hard and doesn’t look out of place, and seems to have potential as a multi level scorer.  Probably our Jimerson heir-  would be a shame to lose him because we didn’t play him in a lost season. 

You'd also hate to play him a lot; showcase his skills, and have another team outbid for him.

This is the NIL era, dude. You need to grow out of this 1990s and early 2000s player development mindset. There are no "lost seasons" either.. your coach either succeeded in putting together a tournament roster or failed and did not. There's no rebuilding. There's no development. There's only money and the results at the end of the year. Want more success? win and get more NIL donations. Money, money, money, money money money money.

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Agree, I hate seeing him bring the ball up, he looks very uncomfortable, that will hopefully change with time and experience. With Meadows, Hughes and Parker injuries, thats was the opportunity he was given. He can shoot though, that's obvious to me at this point, but as guys get healthy he will see fewer minutes.

21 minutes ago, Soderball said:

You'd also hate to play him a lot; showcase his skills, and have another team outbid for him.

This is the NIL era, dude. You need to grow out of this 1990s and early 2000s player development mindset. There are no "lost seasons" either.. your coach either succeeded in putting together a tournament roster or failed and did not. There's no rebuilding. There's no development. There's only money and the results at the end of the year. Want more success? win and get more NIL donations. Money, money, money, money money money money.

i agree with all but "win and get more NIL donations."  i doubt in Saint Louis University booster case, that is true.   we really dont have an abundance of overly generous boosters.   typically it appears to me that it takes a number of seasons of success before they even think about coming out big beyond the two or three big whales.  

19 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

13 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Interesting couple of comments on Curcic.  I, and maybe I am alone, put a 50/50 probability on any of our players returning next season.  If Ford isn't here, I'd lower the return prob.  If Ford is here, I'd raise it.  What is for certain, there will be players jumping into the portal.  In Ford's time at SLU, we have averaged 3.5 transfers after each season.  Curcic could be a starter for us and still jump ship.  I'm not going to worry about it in December.

I don't think Curcic is engaged in NIL activities at SLU.  At least he isn't in the Billiken Exchange.  There is no $ sign by his name.  The rules on foreign players receiving NIL $ are strange, but there have been some figure out ways around them.  Apparently the student visa is the issue. Last year, being on a student visa, a player cannot appear in an promotional content.  Last season players could only license their name, image and likeness.  Last season several foreign players signed deals when they were off shore.  Oscar Tshiebwe signed a large NIL deal early last season when KU was in the Bahamas.

If anyone knows of Curcic's student visa situation, please advise. I'd be interested to know what that all means.