Midtown Madness: S4E18 Ford Calls Out Negative Fans After 39pt Loss and 18pt Second Half Collapse

Podcast

Season 4 of the Midtown Madness Podcast is brought to you by Two Men and a Garden! That’s right they are fueling this podcast with not only delicious pickles, but salsas and most recently Harissa sauce. They are the real deal! Their products are delicious and more importantly local to St. Louis. You can pick up their many products at any local grocery stores or online where they ship nationwide!

💻https://twomenandagarden.com/

🐦https://twitter.com/2mensalsa

📸https://www.instagram.com/2mensalsa

On This Episode

• Ford calls out negative fans, says they “have nothing better to do”

• Billikens build 18 point lead, collapse in second half @ Drake

• Billikens rebound at home vs Hofstra

• Around the A10

• WBB falls short vs SIUC

• On campus field hockey facility announced

🐦 https://twitter.com/MidtownMadPod

📸https://www.instagram.com/midtownmadpod/

View the full article

Pistol and TheChosenOne like this

After hearing your podcast, I looked up the cheerleader incident.

The cheerleader's 2-handed shove to Jimerson is with 3:57 remaining in the game.  You can see it on the ESPN+ on demand play-back.

I don't think it was technical-worthy, but definitely a strange sequence. 

Jimerson seemed to get whacked by Enright on the drive, but no call. 

TheChosenOne likes this

All the Ford whining on the podcast has made it unbearable to listen to. 05 needs to grow up and Peter, clearly the adult in the room, needs to hold the poor boy’s hand through it so he’ll stop sounding like a whiny ass.

Do better, guys.

Hey thanks for listening to the show. Without listeners there’s no show. Bummer to hear you feel that way. Unfortunately Ford is the biggest topic going in our show’s world and he happened to take issue with fans, if we didn’t spend time covering it and/or filtered our thoughts on the matter it just wouldn’t be the show we both agreed to make. 

Soderball and TheChosenOne like this

54 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

After hearing your podcast, I looked up the cheerleader incident.

The cheerleader's 2-handed shove to Jimerson is with 3:57 remaining in the game.  You can see it on the ESPN+ on demand play-back.

I don't think it was technical-worthy, but definitely a strange sequence. 

Jimerson seemed to get whacked by Enright on the drive, but no call. 

I’m curious to know if the attitude towards the shove would be different among a lot of people if it was a male cheerleader. It’s obviously a humorous sight for a 115 lb cheerleader to push a large basketball player, I am not sure if it’s the same if it’s a dude. 

59 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

All the Ford whining on the podcast has made it unbearable to listen to. 05 needs to grow up and Peter, clearly the adult in the room, needs to hold the poor boy’s hand through it so he’ll stop sounding like a whiny ass.

Do better, guys.

Dayum Billikenbill more like BillikenRichard

AD May has a podcast, "From the Stands." I think he did a new one about 3 months ago. You can almost hear the person he's interviewing in the pod. Really good stuff. Might be more your speed.

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

AD May has a podcast, "From the Stands." I think he did a new one about 3 months ago. You can almost hear the person he's interviewing in the pod. Really good stuff. Might be more your speed.

LOL. 😂 

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

-I understand your passion but name calling doesn't help 

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Do better, guys.

Let me preface this by saying I think SLU should fire Travis Ford (and Chris May) absent some kind of incredible run the rest of the season.  I'm not privy to the financial aspects of it and, while disappointing, I could see how that may change what actually happens.

That being said, I'm in agreement that whining about Ford here, on a Podcast, on Twitter, etc. has become tedious.  It has sucked some joy out of just watching Billiken basketball & Billiken victories.

I'd really hate to think that because MMP did good numbers after the SIUC debacle, they've decided to chase listeners by continuing to bash Ford.  I don't think that's the case / I hope that's not the case.  I've just seen so often the sports media playing to the lowest common denominator for ratings that I worry.

I also don't have an issue with Ford said / didn't really think he was calling out fans by talking about the negative comments.  I'd get it if he specifically came out and said "The Midtown Madness guys are just full of negative comments & have nothing better to do".  He's just using a perceived negative bogeyman / internet troll type to motivate the players.  Basically telling them to ignore the noise & go prove "the haters" wrong.  He is not calling out fans specifically & we (including myself here) all think he should be fired regardless of what he says or whether the team beats Hofstra at home.  Trying to turn it into something more is just piling on Ford when it isn't necessary or it is having "main character" syndrome thinking Ford is talking about you specifically because you've made negative comments online about him.

Sensationalism rules- never mind that the healthy guys on the team are working hard and show up- not a podcast worthy of participating if you can’t recognize development is harder if daddy doesn’t start you out with a pile of money and seasoned employees. No TF did not start thus year but you won’t find a coach more behind his players.

@RUBillsFan it's the complaining that sucked the joy of watching or the results? These guys talk about SLU sports for 2 hours, they cover women's soccer sets pieces and field hockey. That's in depth SLU only coverage. So yeah they're going to deep dive into every aspect of Billikens sports. Right now there's not much positive. It's another unforced error by SLU. Dude has 27 years D1 coaching experience he should know better. The SLU fanbase is really forgiving compared to what many other coaches deal with. Perhaps you're misplacing your frustrations. 

@GOSLU68 I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. But I think you're saying Ford is more supportive of his players than any other coach?!  Is that why we never have anyone transfer out? Wait we do. If anything's sensational it's Ford's comments. Will you admonish him?

As for "Band of Brothers"everyone should watch it, the interviews with the actual Soldiers in the beginning are great. The stories are real. Simply amazing what they endured. You can enjoy watching it even if you're a dirty nasty leg.

2 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

Sensationalism rules- never mind that the healthy guys on the team are working hard and show up- not a podcast worthy of participating if you can’t recognize development is harder if daddy doesn’t start you out with a pile of money and seasoned employees. No TF did not start thus year but you won’t find a coach more behind his players.

The talk about injuries is extremely repetitive and tiring. Those of us who want to criticize Travis Ford are tired of constantly hearing about how players are hurt, nothing is CTF's fault, and if you criticize the coach you aren't a "real fan"

gobillsgo likes this

I think there may be something in between what everyone is saying and agreeing on. It’s a single episode, mainly talking about what FORD said. This isn’t a weekly show in which it’s just let’s bash ford. Fords remarks were this week, they addressed it, this week. They’re not going out of the way to do so. 

I appreciate all the feedback on the show, positive and negative. Truly.

I think the headlines/graphics we use for the show every week have an element of tabloid newspaper cover to them for sure. Zac has always taken an approach of having some fun with them, trying to catch your attention in a sort of gonzo aesthetic that has become specific to our show, and I fully support it. It's fun and different, not pretending to be anything overly professional.

If you listen to our conversations, though, I think you'll find more nuance. And while we might hit certain things several weeks in a row and sometimes get fired up about a particular thing, there's an effort to break a topic down rather than just rant repetitively.

We aren't chasing listeners, either. Of course we want to do better every week in terms of more people streaming the show, but by far the number one way for that to happen is for men's basketball to win. If last season went the way we all thought and hoped it could, our numbers would far exceed where we are now. We don't want it to be this way.

Others have said as much in other threads today, but two points regarding the current subject of the day:

1. A steady drumbeat gets attention. We don't know a lot specifically about where the people in power are at on this, but sooner or later they're going to notice that people aren't happy. If we just stay quiet, it will take longer to become something they need to address.

2. There's more than one way to be a fan. There's room in the tent for all of us.

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think the headlines/graphics we use for the show every week have an element of tabloid newspaper cover to them for sure. Zac has always taken an approach of having some fun with them, trying to catch your attention in a sort of gonzo aesthetic that has become specific to our show, and I fully support it. It's fun and different, not pretending to be anything overly professional.

If you listen to our conversations, though, I think you'll find more nuance. And while we might hit certain things several weeks in a row and sometimes get fired up about a particular thing, there's an effort to break a topic down rather than just rant repetitively.

We aren't chasing listeners, either. Of course we want to do better every week in terms of more people streaming the show, but by far the number one way for that to happen is for men's basketball to win. If last season went the way we all thought and hoped it could, our numbers would far exceed where we are now. We don't want it to be this way.

Others have said as much in other threads today, but two points regarding the current subject of the day:

1. A steady drumbeat gets attention. We don't know a lot specifically about where the people in power are at on this, but sooner or later they're going to notice that people aren't happy. If we just stay quiet, it will take longer to become something they need to address.

2. There's more than one way to be a fan. There's room in the tent for all of us.

We’ll put, good show.

Pistol likes this

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

I think the show was just fine. You would think that people running SLU would recognize that there are issues that fans aren’t happy with, but the secrecy that surrounds the program really doesn’t let that show through. While there has been a lot of speculation about how much money it would take to buy out Travis Ford’s contract, let’s face it, it’s all just speculation, no one really knows except the AD, and they’re not saying. However, that overlooks one obvious point: Travis Ford knows and can calculate it to the dollar. He is acting like he knows that there is no group of people who want him gone badly enough to pay that money. Is he right or wrong? Unclear. But certainly his pushing back on the negative fans does not show he thinks that likely. 

I'm going to wash down a bunch of 2 Men and a Garden Pickles with some Haterade.

I'm getting my $9 flat shipping rates worth on this order.

Those smoked Pastachios are easily giftable in the office.

Plus Anthony at Antonino's is a friend of a friend. So I'm getting that marinara.

Pistol likes this

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm going to wash down a bunch of 2 Men and a Garden Pickles with some Haterade.

I'm getting my $9 flat shipping rates worth on this order.

Those smoked Pastachios are easily giftable in the office.

Plus Anthony at Antonino's is a friend of a friend. So I'm getting that marinara.

Thanks for writing my next mid-episode ad read.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Was that a haiku? 

No, but I'll make it a limerick, which is probably more of @TheA_Bomb's speed:

I've got me some pickles on order.
These products have made me a hoarder.

Marinara sauce - nice!
Pistachios - twice!

And the best salsa north of the border.

Box and Won and CenHudDude like this

16 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Let me preface this by saying I think SLU should fire Travis Ford (and Chris May) absent some kind of incredible run the rest of the season.  I'm not privy to the financial aspects of it and, while disappointing, I could see how that may change what actually happens.

That being said, I'm in agreement that whining about Ford here, on a Podcast, on Twitter, etc. has become tedious.  It has sucked some joy out of just watching Billiken basketball & Billiken victories.

I'd really hate to think that because MMP did good numbers after the SIUC debacle, they've decided to chase listeners by continuing to bash Ford.  I don't think that's the case / I hope that's not the case.  I've just seen so often the sports media playing to the lowest common denominator for ratings that I worry.

I also don't have an issue with Ford said / didn't really think he was calling out fans by talking about the negative comments.  I'd get it if he specifically came out and said "The Midtown Madness guys are just full of negative comments & have nothing better to do".  He's just using a perceived negative bogeyman / internet troll type to motivate the players.  Basically telling them to ignore the noise & go prove "the haters" wrong.  He is not calling out fans specifically & we (including myself here) all think he should be fired regardless of what he says or whether the team beats Hofstra at home.  Trying to turn it into something more is just piling on Ford when it isn't necessary or it is having "main character" syndrome thinking Ford is talking about you specifically because you've made negative comments online about him.

What SLU fans have said pale in friggin comparison to what Okie state and UMass have said about his coaching (lack thereof) over the years. He should consider himself lucky.

And A-Bomb’s right regarding unforced errors by SLU. They’re proving each year that they no longer belong at the D1 level. If any of you want to catch feelings for what I said, then tough, because you know it’s true.