2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Yep, I heard Travis a week ago state (I’m paraphrasing a bit) “we are going to press, press and press some more.  Press and trap.  Almost every time the opponent has the ball.  And TJ will play a large amount of time at the 5. Will be an heck of a match up problem for opponents bigs. Our strengths are the 1, 2 and 3…Meadows is an amazing player, will be the primary 1.”  

Travis had a UMass team that played this way.  Beat a bunch of blue bloods.  Made the semi-finals of the NIT I believe.

TJ at the 5 👀

brianstl likes this

7 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Hey I'm down to watch some up tempo fun but I've heard that before. 

i second this.  i have been preaching up tempo, particularly on defense since rickma left.   i will believe it when i see it in a conference game (weve all seen the worthless non conference games where we play more uptempo, only to come january we are back to walking the ball down the floor and running back to halfline immediately upon the ball going back to the opponent.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

So Ezewiro's waiver status is still in question and they are seeking a new Assistant AD for Compliance? Hmmm.

By the time they hire someone and they get up to speed Ez will be a PhD candidate. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I surely hope that an appeal to NCAA does not become like a court appeal which can take a very long time and result in some decision that will then be appealed again at a higher level.

There was a wide receiver from NC that was denied a waiver. He appealed and maybe a month or so later it was overturned. He did miss several games but is now on the field. 

15 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i second this.  i have been preaching up tempo, particularly on defense since rickma left.   i will believe it when i see it in a conference game (weve all seen the worthless non conference games where we play more uptempo, only to come january we are back to walking the ball down the floor and running back to halfline immediately upon the ball going back to the opponent.

I third this. Every year, "we're gonna run". And? Every year, walk it down, burn the clock, throw up a shot. I'll believe it when I see it.

billiken_roy likes this

20 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I third this. Every year, "we're gonna run". And? Every year, walk it down, burn the clock, throw up a shot. I'll believe it when I see it.

I do think if Hargrove is having to play the 5 that Ford might not have any choice. Might not be the worst thing. Having to play that way essentially by default.

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

There was a wide receiver from NC that was denied a waiver. He appealed and maybe a month or so later it was overturned. He did miss several games but is now on the field. 

That was a ridiculous denial though. I’m as big an anti-UNC fan as there is, but the kid was totally shafted by the denial as he transferred to UNC 5 days before the NCAA released the info saying they were going to restrict 2nd time transfers. 

My question is how are we in 2023 and SLU is just now hiring a director of compliance? 😳 Thought that was standard operating procedure for all athletic departments and had been for years.

28 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

That was a ridiculous denial though. I’m as big an anti-UNC fan as there is, but the kid was totally shafted by the denial as he transferred to UNC 5 days before the NCAA released the info saying they were going to restrict 2nd time transfers. 

My question is how are we in 2023 and SLU is just now hiring a director of compliance? 😳 Thought that was standard operating procedure for all athletic departments and had been for years.

They have always had one. In fact Janet Oberle was outstanding in the role for many years until being promoted. The real question is why is the position open all of a sudden in October of 2023 with at least one NCAA decision pending regarding this years roster. Makes you think….

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

They have always had one. In fact Janet Oberle was outstanding in the role for many years until being promoted. The real question is why is the position open all of a sudden in October of 2023 with at least one NCAA decision pending regarding this years roster. Makes you think….

Mercer is still listed in the athletics department directory.  It could be a case where she just gave notice and is taking a position somewhere else.  I believe she has had the position for almost a decade.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Mercer is still listed in the athletics department directory.  It could be a case where she just gave notice and is taking a position somewhere else.  I believe she has had the position for almost a decade.

That sounds like the more likely reason, Mercer moving on and the position opening up

It would be crazy timing for that position to open up in October, with fall sports in midseason, basketball and other winter sports just starting practice, and a very important waiver yet to be determined, not to mention several new international players on the roster. This is the kind of job that would open up in late spring or early summer - Not all that different from other college coaching, athletic department, or academic jobs in general.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

I know nothing more than you do, but from written reports, UNC didn't initially disclose all the necessary information on this case in their waiver request.  True or not, I don't know, but it is always good to listen/read both sides of the story.

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I know nothing more than you do, but from written reports, UNC didn't initially disclose all the necessary information on this case in their waiver request.  True or not, I don't know, but it is always good to listen/read both sides of the story.

A key thing for these waiver decisions is having things filed early, and filed in a complete fashion. Stories about denials that get reversed in appeals usually involve information being incomplete, like in UNC’s case. Additionally, the NCAA has a deadline for waiver applications by sport. If you file after that deadline, it’s usually an automatic decline. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Weird because he was denied, UNC appealed and was denied again, then a month later, he’s approved. Doesn’t make sense that they could’ve made an error like that, which wasn’t picked up on the first two tries.

Seemed to me that with the way Mack Brown and the athletic dept. whined about it along with how UNC strong-armed the NCAA over the academic cheating scandal, the NCAA was trying to exact some revenge on the Tar Heels.