Interesting Take onm the Future of the A10

Taj79

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

No offense, Taj Mahal 79, but I wished I hadn’t read those articles. They only increased my level of depression about SLU’s future prospects. UD goes Beast and we stay mired in a sinking A10. And we get a C for off season moves while teams like Fordham and Duquesne get A’s . 
I respect telling it like it is, but when it comes to SLU hoops in ‘23-24 I’d like to go full ostrich. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No offense, Taj Mahal 79, but I wished I hadn’t read those articles. They only increased my level of depression about SLU’s future prospects. UD goes Beast and we stay mired in a sinking A10. And we get a C for off season moves while teams like Fordham and Duquesne get A’s . 
I respect telling it like it is, but when it comes to SLU hoops in ‘23-24 I’d like to go full ostrich. 

Can’t blame anyone going full ostrich. What is most concerning is the trend line of SLU’s numerical ranking of defense getting worse every year…up in the 40s early in Ford’s tenure to 150ish last season, if I recall correctly.

brianstl likes this

I don't think UCONN is going anywhere as B12 was their likely destination. It seems AZ wants to go to B12 but wants ASU and UU to go with them. As reported by Josh Pate "Late Kick".

However if Clemson, FSU, Miami were to move to SEC then I could see UCONN to ACC. There is no solid talk about that now from what I've heard/read.

I'm not up on the Monmouth program but maybe Iona or Manhattan (Jaspers) are ab better option.  

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm not up on the Monmouth program but maybe Iona or Manhattan (Jaspers) are ab better option.  

i dont think i ever envisioned anything positive about being in a conference with Monmouth.   i admit i know nothing about Monmouth.  but that's the point.   the conference continues to become more and more nothing to get excited about. 

thanks bernie.   you have fulfilled your wish to be worthless and bring the conference down to your level.

AGB91 likes this

I still would like to see the league do a full court press on Wichita State.  You are the only non football program in the conference and football is driving the bus... Come to the A-10 , where we are basketball driven... think about a Westerm pod with Dayton, Loyola and Saint Louis

Young Charles likes this

37 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

I still would like to see the league do a full court press on Wichita State.  You are the only non football program in the conference and football is driving the bus... Come to the A-10 , where we are basketball driven... think about a Westerm pod with Dayton, Loyola and Saint Louis

WSU is closer to a handful of AAC schools than they are to us.  I would love to have them, but can see why they would stay put- for now. 

Yeah WSU would be good but here's the test,  what is their TV deal payout? Is it more than the A10s?  Yes? OK is the conference on shaky ground about to crumble (see P12)? Yes, it's a possibility.   No, they're staying put.

When is A10 TV deal? I think the consolidation of big name teams in bigger conferences will lead to a depression in TV contract $ to conferences like the A10.  Hell, P12 can't get a good one.  I'm hearing $20mil/school and it'll mostly be streaming AppleTV.  They got out maneuvered by the B12's Yormark.

Texas and OU announced they're leaving.  P12 could've pounced and scooped up competitive B12 teams.  Texas Tech fans wanted to go they thought it was the end. Yormark comes in raids P12.  USC, UCLA bounce to B10. P12 still doesn't have a TV deal.  UC bounces. 

Conference leadership and vision matters.  Be the hunter or the hunted.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah WSU would be good but here's the test,  what is their TV deal payout? Is it more than the A10s?  Yes? OK is the conference on shaky ground about to crumble (see P12)? Yes, it's a possibility.   No, they're staying put.

Considering the A10 is basically nothing, I am assuming their American deal is significantly more money. 

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I would just like to see some action (not just talk) from the A10 that the conference realizes they need to do something to improve.

Bernadette seems content with the state of things 🙃

34 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Bernadette seems content with the state of things 🙃

i agree as the college basketball world passes us by.    are the billikens headed to buy team status?   

-someone from the outside considers us part of the "golden standard" of the A10, this is bball focused and I'll take the compliment

-FU has significant campus upgrades that will beef up athletics, interesting to see how Rose Hill is impacted

-Monmouth? oh my- expanding for the sake of expanding is not the answer

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree as the college basketball world passes us by.    are the billikens headed to buy team status?   

So much fatalism on the board these days. The last time SLU got passed by (or passed over really) was Butler and Xavier going to the Big East a decade ago.

• Pac12 (currently 9 and dropping) is facing an existential crisis.
  • CUSA has been completely gutted.
  • WCC is down from losing BYU and not replacing them.
  • The American has dropped with the loss of Cincy, Houston, UCF, and UConn.
  • ACC's last change was losing Maryland in 2014 and replacing them with Louisville who has been a basketball dumpster fire and PR embarrassment.
  • Mountain West hasn't made any changes in the last decade.
  • Big 12 could be considered flat to slightly improved (in terms of basketball) by replacing Texas and Oklahoma with BYU, Cincy, Houston, and UCF.
  • Big East improved with the addition of UConn in 2020.
  • Big Ten improved with the addition of USC and UCLA.
  • SEC improved with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma.

Meanwhile the A10 treads water. I'm not saying there isn't more that could have been done over the last decade to increase to conference's profile or prestige. But, saying the college basketball world is passing us by is off the mark. Conferences are rising (SEC, Big Ten, Big East) and falling (Pac12, CUSA, WCC, American). We're in the middle (MWC)

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

WHY DO YOU HATE MONMOUTH

dont necessarily hate monmouth.   just know nothing about them and i consider myself an above average college basketball nut.   so how good can they be?   how does a relatively unknown college basketball team that has only won one game in their history in the ncaa tourney make the A10 better?   

imo to make the A-10 better we need to go the other way instead of expansion.   delete some of the lesser programs that are doing nothing to make their program better.   go down to 10 teams that can be argued are the 10 best programs instead of expanding.

1 hour ago, Compton said:

So much fatalism on the board these days. The last time SLU got passed by (or passed over really) was Butler and Xavier going to the Big East a decade ago.

• Pac12 (currently 9 and dropping) is facing an existential crisis.
  • CUSA has been completely gutted.
  • WCC is down from losing BYU and not replacing them.
  • The American has dropped with the loss of Cincy, Houston, UCF, and UConn.
  • ACC's last change was losing Maryland in 2014 and replacing them with Louisville who has been a basketball dumpster fire and PR embarrassment.
  • Mountain West hasn't made any changes in the last decade.
  • Big 12 could be considered flat to slightly improved (in terms of basketball) by replacing Texas and Oklahoma with BYU, Cincy, Houston, and UCF.
  • Big East improved with the addition of UConn in 2020.
  • Big Ten improved with the addition of USC and UCLA.
  • SEC improved with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma.

Meanwhile the A10 treads water. I'm not saying there isn't more that could have been done over the last decade to increase to conference's profile or prestige. But, saying the college basketball world is passing us by is off the mark. Conferences are rising (SEC, Big Ten, Big East) and falling (Pac12, CUSA, WCC, American). We're in the middle (MWC)

that's an optimistic cheery viewpoint.   

Removing programs usually doesn't happen.  Hard for Presidents to kick out other schools.  Setting minimum commitment standards and having repercussions if they're not met could be a way to achieve this goal. 

I'll agree that the A10 has been steady and decent for SLU.  But it is also slipping lately in quality.  Interesting that despite a weaker schedule the conference still underperformed.