Cian Medley article by Stu

What are Ford's biggest claims to fame?  Marcus Smart.   Jordan Goodwin.  Yuri Collins.  Makes complete sense for a guard to enlist with Ford's camp.  

What are Ford's biggest failures?  Pretty much anybody over 6'7" or 6'8".

16 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Good article. Appears to be a team-first point guard rather than solely pass-first.

Agree. That is one of the reasons I do have some excitement about this year's team versus the past few seasons. Will we be better? Not sure. But we will be different and different is definitely needed

53 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

What are Ford's biggest claims to fame?  Marcus Smart.   Jordan Goodwin.  Yuri Collins.  Makes complete sense for a guard to enlist with Ford's camp.  

From a coaching standpoint, this is it. But he's probably best known for being the starting PG on the 1993 Kentucky Final Four team. Since all of Michigan's wins were vacated did Travis lead his team to the NCAA Championship without actually getting to play the game? I think the official records would suggest it. Weird.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

dont forget Javon Bess.   i would take Bess over both Goodwin and Collins.   

but your point is that he doesnt develop bigs is a good point.   one has to wonder why he has a coaching staff that doesnt appear to have an inside player guru.  and sure enough he hired another guard coach.   ive been told Tate is the inside guy coach.   as much as i love tate as a recruiter, i question his development ability since i agree with Taj and we really havent had an inside big success with Travis Ford as our head coach.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

but your point is that he doesnt develop bigs is a good point.   one has to wonder why he has a coaching staff that doesnt appear to have an inside player guru.  and sure enough he hired another guard coach.   ive been told Tate is the inside guy coach.   as much as i love tate as a recruiter, i question his development ability since i agree with Taj and we really havent had an inside big success with Travis Ford as our head coach.

If a big  is either successful or unsuccessful, Hasahn French goes into my successful column. 

slu72, CenHudDude and BLIKNS like this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I would argue Bess developed himself. Guy was a workaholic. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

If a big  is either successful or unsuccessful, Hasahn French goes into my successful column. 

He was a natural inside tough guy. I doubt Ford advanced him much. Look at Conk v French. Rick pushed Conk to get better. Ford pushed Hassan to stay the same. 

billiken_roy likes this

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He was a natural inside tough guy. I doubt Ford advanced him much. Look at Conk v French. Rick pushed Conk to get better. Ford pushed Hassan to stay the same. 

Why do you doubt it?  Curious. What do you know behind the scenes?  Please elaborate on Ford telling French not to improve. Was that on one of his coach’s show?

French never lifted a weight, he said, until he got here. Is weight lifting optional on the team?  

I do admit your narrative is kind of funny. I’m looking for the blue font or the smiley face. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Why do you doubt it?  Curious. What do you know behind the scenes?  Please elaborate on Ford telling French not to improve. Was that on one of his coach’s show?

French never lifted a weight, he said, until he got here. Is weight lifting optional on the team?  

I do admit your narrative is kind of funny. I’m looking for the blue font or the smiley face. 

Did Hassan ever develop a shot from more than 3’ out? Did his FT shooting ever improve? Did his passing from inside out ever improve? I loved what he brought to the Bills, but if you’re saying his game developed much from his FR to SR year, you’re dreaming. He was a great strong athlete but as for BB skills not what I’d call great. 

MB73 and billiken_roy like this

Hasahn French was the same guy when he got here and then as he left four years later.  He was a bruising defender and rebounder .... but couldn't  shoot a lick outside five feet and was a pitiful free throw shooter. I don't think that Ford told him to stay the same but you have to admit his offensive game never moved the needle an inch. The point remains the same ford has not developed anyone over 6 foot seven inches in his tenure here. Blue font is certainly not needed.

10 hours ago, Matty Light said:

From a coaching standpoint, this is it. But he's probably best known for being the starting PG on the 1993 Kentucky Final Four team. Since all of Michigan's wins were vacated did Travis lead his team to the NCAA Championship without actually getting to play the game? I think the official records would suggest it. Weird.

Michigan lost credit to claim a W. Kentucky does not get a win though. Sometimes the game flips to a No Contest, but most often the losing team still keeps the L. Vacating their victories means only that. They lose credit for the W, but nothing else changes. 

almaman likes this