Loyola GDT - What’s the difference between Basketball players and Soccer players?

billikenbill

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we blew out a bad team. Hurrah! Now comes the real tests. Can we beat VCU at their place or do we get blown out? And can we finally take down the Flyers at the Fetz. If we can win both, well, maybe we are at least decent. If we go 1-1 not bad. If we go 0-2 we’re not even CBI quality. 

50 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yes, we blew out a bad team. Hurrah! Now comes the real tests. Can we beat VCU at their place or do we get blown out? And can we finally take down the Flyers at the Fetz. If we can win both, well, maybe we are at least decent. If we go 1-1 not bad. If we go 0-2 we’re not even CBI quality.

Getting two games against Loyola was a gift. The Loyola 'blers are one of the worst teams I've ever seen enter the 'fetz. They are pretty close to umsl or Harris Stowe.

But now the bills have to put up or shut up. Dayton at home is critical. VCU on the road is the toughest matchup in the A10. Both remaining games are against legitimate opposition.

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

All in on that CBI bid. Reminds me of three-time NIT winning coach Dave Odom’s quote about preparing his teams for the NIT, “It’s not THE National Championship, but it’s a National Championship.” Let’s get a trophy!!

19 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

That’s why grades are given out at the end of the semester, and bball grades at the end of the season.

Very true he’s been the best player on the team for weeks now! 
But these boards are for discussion and when guys aren’t playing well it is going to be discussed. 

17 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Very true he’s been the best player on the team for weeks now! 
But these boards are for discussion and when guys aren’t playing well it is going to be discussed. 

Yep.  He was in a slump for awhile.  I think most MBMs now recognize his value to the team now though.

dlarry likes this

10 hours ago, dlarry said:

He’s not stinking the place up anymore. That probably has a lot to do with it. 

This could be the best he’s ever looked.  He’s a legit scorer, not just a shooter.  His D has improved, and he’s getting assists.  Praying he wants to stay and set some records here at SLU.

Good to see a relaxing GDT thread.

As far as the 'Blers go, they are indeed bad.  Alston excelled at the D2 level.  And he is their best player.  Norris is serviceable and I'd take him in a heartbeat.  The rest do nothing for me.  Loyola has a fine history, even dating back to MCC days but their cachet over going to a Final Four is gone.  Cases in point:  Butler to two final fours.  Mason to a final four.  La Salle to a Sweet Sixteen.  Schweiger reminds me a lot of Domask at SIU --- a decent role player but not a team carrier.  

The constant complaints o n the refs are well-deserved.  Hughes was boxing out, not committing a Flagarant 1.  This team certainly goes as Jimerson goes.  Six rebounds and four assists cannot be overlooked.  We outrebounded them by 10.  Realized 19 assists to 16.  Outstole them 10 to 3.  Won the TO battle 14 to 9.  Didn't have any schmucks come off the canvas to rain threes on us outside of 3 (out of six) by Norris.   Our bench whacked their 33 to 20 and 11 of those came late to Welch.

Hiughes Jr. was much better.  Five points but five rebounds and again decent defense.  The only thing that didn't happen was blowing the lead.  Nice ...finally.  

Since I've been informed that VCU does their senior night on the last Saturday home game I like that idea.  Having it last night ijstead of the Dayton game would have been nice for all concerned.  There will be enough pressure on us next Friday. I think it would have been nice to place the emotion of departing seniors on this game moreso than that one.  

1 hour ago, BANGheGOTit said:

This could be the best he’s ever looked.  He’s a legit scorer, not just a shooter.  His D has improved, and he’s getting assists.  Praying he wants to stay and set some records here at SLU.

That’s my fear too. Now that he’s, seemingly, reaching his potential…he’ll want to go somewhere else.

Two notes on the game:

• The reason to fire Ford encapsulated in the decision to bury Parker in the 2nd half. He was fine in the first half, but didn't play at all. Why? Because Ford just likes seeing certain guys out there. The lead was 15 at half. The 5 who played most of the 2nd half weren't doing anything well; they were trading baskets with a sub-200 team on their own floor. But still Ford buries Parker. Because... . he forgot about him? Parker is a guy who's part of your future. 
  • The bigs can do nice things, but two plays just summarize everything. One is the play in the first half when a Loyola player was saving the ball. Okoro was about 5 feet off the baseline. The ball hit him in the ankles and rolled out of bounds. Loyola ball. The lack of "basketball instinct" was so apparent. The other was the Forrester play. Just a total lack of awareness, robbing a teammate of a basket and lowering his FG% in a came still in contention. Our bigs aren't winning players the way that Goodwin, Bess, Jordair, Conklin, and co. were winning players. I don't just mean good, I mean guys who know what to do and not do to win. It's not just effort. It's effort + IQ. There's no way that combination at the 5 can play well three games in a row in Brooklyn. We lose, at best, in the semis. 

18 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Two notes on the game:

• The reason to fire Ford encapsulated in the decision to bury Parker in the 2nd half. He was fine in the first half, but didn't play at all. Why? Because Ford just likes seeing certain guys out there. The lead was 15 at half. The 5 who played most of the 2nd half weren't doing anything well; they were trading baskets with a sub-200 team on their own floor. But still Ford buries Parker. Because... . he forgot about him? Parker is a guy who's part of your future. 
  • The bigs can do nice things, but two plays just summarize everything. One is the play in the first half when a Loyola player was saving the ball. Okoro was about 5 feet off the baseline. The ball hit him in the ankles and rolled out of bounds. Loyola ball. The lack of "basketball instinct" was so apparent. The other was the Forrester play. Just a total lack of awareness, robbing a teammate of a basket and lowering his FG% in a came still in contention. Our bigs aren't winning players the way that Goodwin, Bess, Jordair, Conklin, and co. were winning players. I don't just mean good, I mean guys who know what to do and not do to win. It's not just effort. It's effort + IQ. There's no way that combination at the 5 can play well three games in a row in Brooklyn. We lose, at best, in the semis. 

<<Goodwin, Bess, Jordair, Conklin>>

3 guards & a hunk cited when dissing our bigs? I b confused by that?

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

Two notes on the game:

Yuri’s shot attempt was wiped out by Forrester’s turnover so no missed FG credited to Yuri. Did cost him the points though. Not sure what he was thinking there.

I can’t be too hard on the guy though as I once did something equally ridiculous in a game. Of course it happened a few feet below the rim as I’ve yet to make acquaintance with the rim when jumping to try to touch it.

Forrester swoops in on most shot attempts with his hands up for tip ins.  This particular one, he arrived at the wrong time.  While I was dumbfounded too, it was an act of commission.  Against a Loyola I can let that slide.

3 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Two notes on the game:

It’s baffling how Parker can spark the offense in the first half and not see PT after that. Hargrove PT is also baffling…take out Foreester/Okoro and go with a fast break lineup of Yuri, Jimmer, Perk, Parker and Hargrove. They can fly AND shoot the three (over 40%) a la Loyola Marymount. But no, we must walk the ball up the court and lose double-digit leads.

9 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Two notes on the game:

IMO Ford’s best coaching jobs have come at times when we have little to no depth at all.  He’s forced to play 5 to 7 guys and no one else is really available.

He really struggles with substitutions.  Pulls certain guys after mistakes.  Fouls out his own players at the remotest sign of trouble.  Kills rallys by inexplicably subbing out key players when a lineup is rolling.  Buries random guys on the bench after they seemingly ad great runs earlier in the game.  On the flip side, seemingly forgets to give guys a breather once in a while & leaves them in almost the entire game (IMO he ran Jimerson ragged earlier in the year).

If Fords around, NIL crew would be wise to spend on 5-7 players & let the rest of the roster be practice fodder.