Billiken Victory Fund

SluSignGuy

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

To those saying they would donate, but have no confidence in Ford or won't donate until Ford is fired:

Sure Ford benefits from the NIL collective while he is the SLU coach, but this NIL collective has very little to do with Ford.  Whoever is the coach will likely have some input (off the record) about how NIL collective funds are used, but they have no direct control over it.  A robust NIL collective would actually help attract in a good new coach who understands where the train is headed with regards to recruiting.  If you care about SLU basketball, but don't like Ford then donating to an NIL collective is about the best way to support the program without supporting Ford.

Yep.  Coaches will be asking how much will they be paid, and how much NIL money is there when interviewing. 

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'd say 75% of college basketball players are not getting paid anything, or at least more than 5/10k. 

but the 60-80 bcs schools are going to pay substantially more particularly to their stars.   thus the inbalance.   they will get most if not all of the top players simply because they can pay more.  

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but the 60-80 bcs schools are going to pay substantially more particularly to their stars.   thus the inbalance.   they will get most if not all of the top players simply because they can pay more.  

Roy, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but they've been doing this for years. At least its not hidden and we know how much $$ it is to compare and perhaps compete. 

NoCoBillsFan and RUBillsFan like this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

they get most of the stars now, they have been paying players for years, not sure it will change the distribution of talent all that much, i agree with you roy, dont really like it

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Roy, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but they've been doing this for years. At least its not hidden and we know how much $$ it is to compare and perhaps compete. 

That’s very true, in one sense they only thing that’s changed is the big money schools no longer have to pay players via some sketchy guy putting an unmarked envelope full of cash in their hands. SLU has been competing against this for years.

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

That’s very true, in one sense they only thing that’s changed is the big money schools no longer have to pay players via some sketchy guy putting an unmarked envelope full of cash in their hands. SLU has been competing against this for years.

i worked with some former mizzou athletes who told me about the basketball players picking up their envelopes back in the ricky clemons days

Thinking a few years ahead, and knowing nothing about labor law--Could basketball develop a transfer market similar to European soccer, where the 'original' school/collective gets a cut of future NIL monies to the player if player takes a job elsewhere?  You probably couldn't 'sell' a player, but maybe get some of their NIL money.  

Non-competes are illegal in CA and, I believe, other places.  So that would help CA schools recruit players as it helped tech get started as employees could be easily, if expensively, poached.  

31 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

i worked with some former mizzou athletes who told me about the basketball players picking up their envelopes back in the ricky clemons days

46 minutes ago, wgstl said:

i know the big boys have been "taking care of" their stars.   but now that it is out in the open i see this being used to greater depths and greater amounts.   i would think to successfully hide it as in before it was "legal" they had to be selective and careful on how they did it.  it was never a matter of getting enough money it was a matter of keeping it going and paying the right players.   now their payrolls will expand since they no longer will have the compliance spotlight on them as much as before.

after hearing some of the football dollar figures being thrown about now that it is out in the open, the thought that we can compete is absurb in my opinion.   if i am wrong and we win the national championship in a couple of years due to our big boosters coming in and packing the war chest would be great.   i think you all are naive.  

MB73 likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i know the big boys have been "taking care of" their stars.   but now that it is out in the open i see this being used to greater depths and greater amounts.   i would think to successfully hide it as in before it was "legal" they had to be selective and careful on how they did it.  it was never a matter of getting enough money it was a matter of keeping it going and paying the right players.   now their payrolls will expand since they no longer will have the compliance spotlight on them as much as before.

after hearing some of the football dollar figures being thrown about now that it is out in the open, the thought that we can compete is absurb in my opinion.   if i am wrong and we win the national championship in a couple of years due to our big boosters coming in and packing the war chest would be great.   i think you all are naive.  

Yeah, it’s like the big schools were spraying money at kids through a garden hose before, but only on the sly. Now they are shooting them money out of a firehose in the open.

21 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Yeah but the Yankees don't win the World Series every year.....

21 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t only the “big schools” paying players pre NIL.

I agree with both of these statements. The amount of money going to students looks like it has accelerated dramatically under NIL.

NIL is misnamed.  It’s a pure smokescreen.  What this is is PFP ——play for pay.  Because the NCAA puckered tighter than a first nighter in prison, they abdicated all responsibility and left a void filled quickly by those who wanted it filled a certain way.  These kids are young mercenaries, looking for easy cash.  Likely run by removed entourages or family members.  This has absolutely NOTHING to do with name, image and likeness.

That is the horror you accept with accepting NIL.  A monthly stipend should have sufficed.  But schools didn’t want to have to pay it.  So they left it open to booster groups and ‘independent’ entities.  And that always works out well.

Now, because some run quicker and faster than the majority, the majority are forced to play catch up or face failure.  Open market on athletes folks.  Live with it.

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

NIL is misnamed.  It’s a pure smokescreen.  What this is is PFP ——play for pay.  Because the NCAA puckered tighter than a first nighter in prison, they abdicated all responsibility and left a void filled quickly by those who wanted it filled a certain way.  These kids are young mercenaries, looking for easy cash.  Likely run by removed entourages or family members.  This has absolutely NOTHING to do with name, image and likeness.

That is the horror you accept with accepting NIL.  A monthly stipend should have sufficed.  But schools didn’t want to have to pay it.  So they left it open to booster groups and ‘independent’ entities.  And that always works out well.

Now, because some run quicker and faster than the majority, the majority are forced to play catch up or face failure.  Open market on athletes folks.  Live with it.

While I agree the schools didn't want to pay a stipend that is not the reason for the NIL. The NIL is the result of former players objecting to the use of their image and not being paid for it. They sued and it opened up the can of worms. 

What will happen to the lower tier Power 6 schools - do you really think a Northwestern will be able to compete and even stay in the Big 10.  They already are a 4 year program - every 4 years they have a good season because the team is mostly  seniors and then they start the process all over again.  Since schools do not seem to be open to using the revenue earned to pay NILs then we are going to see some interesting things happen to some schools that we never would have expected.

I am still conflicted on the issue and what I plan to do - I still think any money that goes to the NIL may well have gone to the school but now they will be short it.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

and this is exactly why you Ford bashers, who want him fired, are delusional when you think we can immediately recruit a better roster through the portal with a new coach...

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

and this is exactly why you Ford bashers, who want him fired, are delusional when you think we can immediately recruit a better roster through the portal with a new coach...

If anything, it makes it easier to do exactly that.  No one, or at least me, has questioned his recruiting, just his coaching.  More NIL $ means the next coach can get quality players too, but likely coach them better. 

14 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Gates did it. He proved it is not impossible. And I am not advocating it.