Billiken Victory Fund

SluSignGuy

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I really don't feel like donating to this as long as Ford is couch.  He's demonstrated that no matter what talent he has he doesn't get results.  If I thought it would make a difference I'd be on board.

You're right, people are just lounging all over him.  Propping their feet up on him.  Just no respect

rgbilliken and thetorch like this

19 hours ago, BC1764 said:

No matter the money or the players they decide to pay, their pool of players is just not going to be the same as a program like Mizzou. SLU is a middling team in a low mid-major, a one bid conference. A conference where they are treated like a red-headed step child, a conference that has either the worst officiating EVER or officiating that is acting out a conference directive as to who wins. I think it is a combination of both. SLU is what it is and I can't figure out why they remain in the A-10. There must be a buyout or a contractual obligation they have to fulfill before leaving. They would do better to get together with other teams of their ilk, like Memphis, and Cincinnati , who are located in the midwest and forming a conference grouping in an already established conference, much like the team in the current Big East did when they changed the membership so drastically. SLU has come a long way from the West Pine Gym and Kiel era. Back then it was a revelation when Rich Grawer re-lit the fire for SLU basketball. He did it with the help of some local kids who wanted to play. Times have changed. I just wish SLU would get into a conference where some rivalries and regional competition could be reborn. The A-10 could not be a more BLAH home for the Bills.

Going in chronological order:

Mizzou is having some success this season with many players who played in the Horizon League, MVC, etc...

Big East? The first place team is having success with several players that were not super highly ranked. And, their point guard came from the A10.

Memphis (Mid South not Midwest) and Cincinnati, are football schools. UC is joining the Big 12 while Memphis plays in the AAC. Memphis is getting a $200 million renovation of its football stadium. Cincinnati was getting close to $10 million annually before joining tje Big 12 which has been paying roughly $43 million annually per school.

Rivalries are formed based on repeated competitive play over time, not geography. Geography can enhance a rivalry, but, it isn't necessary.

The A10 was in part hurt with the departure of a few previously very good programs. And the bottom tier of the large conference, doesn't have a strong enough commitment to athletics.

SLU can help itself by getting higher level results consistently over time. 

JMM28 likes this

17 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

You're right, people are just lounging all over him.  Propping their feet up on him.  Just no respect

Dude had a sleeper sweet 16 team at the start of the season.  Now we're just left with a pain in the rear.

3 minutes ago, courtside said:

I admittedly, don't read many posts or threads. But I did come across this post.

Going in chronological order:

Mizzou is having some success this season with many players who played in the Horizon League, MVC, etc...

Big East? The first place team is having success with several players that were not super highly rankes. And, their point guard came from the A10.

Memphis (Mid South not Midwest) and Cincinnati, are football schools. UC is joining the Big 12 while Memphis plays in the AAC. Memphis is getting a $200 million renovation of its football stadium. Cincinnati was getting close to $10 million annually before joining tje Big 12 which has been paying roughly $43 million annually per school.

Rivalries are formed based on repeated competitive play over time, not geography. Geography can enhance a rivalry, but, it isn't necessary.

The A10 was in part hurt with the departure of a few previously very good programs. And the bottom tier of the large conference, doesn't have a strong enough commitment to athletics.

SLU can help itself by getting higher level results consistently over time. 

Name a non-geographic rivalry?  ND vs USC in football? What else?

Neither my wife nor I give money to UT's NIL. Once I saw what they gave the top QB ( he's on campus now) a ton of money I figured the amount we would give wasn't need at UT.

As for SLU and being an Alum I'd consider it, but frankly that decision would be tied into what the Powers at SLU decide to do with Travis Ford's future at SLU after this season is over.

26 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Name a non-geographic rivalry?  ND vs USC in football? What else?

Don't you live in Texas?

The Dallas Cowboys have multiple "rivals" over the years in their Division, with teams from the Northeast. It's because they had repeated competitive play over time.

The St. Louis Cardinals football and baseball both played in a predominantly Northeast Division where rivals were based on repeated competitive play over time vs geography. The Cardinals of course had tons more success than the Cubs, but all time record head to head is very close. That has more to do with the rivalry than geography. As stated, geography can enhance a rivalry. But it doesn't make a rivalry by itself. St. Louis and KC were not NFL rivals because they didn't play each other often. Preseason game only.

The hockey rivals of the St. Louis Blues have evolved past Chicago. For a while Detroit was one. And it of course has changed some again with realignment and expansion and teams thst wouldn't have beeb considered past rivals.

Syrcause and Georgetown had repeated competitive play over time and were rivals. They played this year but they of course play less often and it isn't the same.

Pittsburgh even had rivals when it was in the Big East and good. Creighton has developed some now that they didn't have before and so on.

i am not contributing to something that i believe is fundamentally corrupt, is an effort in futility as the big schools will blow our likely pittance out of the water, and will likely lead to the ncaa splitting division one into D1 and D1a due to the wide gap in competition i believe this pos program will lead to.  

i understand there is a belief we have to try to compete in it, but count me out.  my money will be much better served contributing to Shriner's Children Hospital general fund. 

On 2/15/2023 at 11:16 AM, Bilzz said:

Yep. I wonder if this is also geared towards getting Jimerson, Hargrove, and/or Yuri to stick around another year (or two in Gibby's case).

The interesting aspect to this is that if Ford wants to keep Yuri, but Troy doesn’t, then he’s gone. The committee is in charge of recruiting and retention. 

someoneelse likes this

10 minutes ago, DOC said:

The interesting aspect to this is that if Ford wants to keep Yuri, but Troy doesn’t, then he’s gone. The committee is in charge of recruiting and retention. 

One of the many delightful aspects of the new NIL world that everyone has to deal with…

14 minutes ago, DOC said:

that is assuming the only nil revenue stream is controlled by troy, yuri is already being paid by someone, appears chaifetz has paid him with this pickle ball deal. there are likely others

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

that is assuming the only nil revenue stream is controlled by troy, yuri is already being paid by someone, appears chaifetz has paid him with this pickle ball deal. there are likely others

Possible. My guess is Doc will support the fund. Either way it’s not the coach’s call anymore. I find that crazy.