GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

Just now, Schasz said:

Neither I nor my wife who is the UT Alum send ANY of our money to Knoxville. How can a goof like you even write something asinine like that about anyone that you don't personally know. Yes, I do root for my wife's alma mater just as she did when she attended Billiken games both home and away games when we lived in St. Louis. I don't see any reason why I should not root for the Vols. Their sports teams have been very successful and fun to root for.

Maybe....but even bandwagon jumpers aren't usually condescending a-holes to their alma mater

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Neither I nor my wife who is the UT Alum send ANY of our money to Knoxville. How can a goof like you even write something asinine like that about anyone that you don't personally know. Yes, I do root for my wife's alma mater just as she did when she attended Billiken games both home and away games when we lived in St. Louis. I don't see any reason why I should not root for the Vols. Their sports teams have been very successful and fun to root for.

-root for Tennessee all you want but after what you posted about SLU last year on the UT message board it is real easy to question any allegiance you have for the Billikens

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

@Billiken Bobthank you for posting this.  If you aren’t the most informed poster here, you are tied for first.  Do you have any idea when the collective might roll out?

Thank you for the compliment Brian.  I do not know for sure about the NIL roll out, but I think we can rest assured that the same athletic director that finally got chartered flights approved and raises the funds for them, raised $1 million for new locker rooms, is currently building the O'Laughlin Center, has built the new soccer locker rooms and  is now working trying to get another big project off the ground  is on top of the NIL situation.  To agree with my long time friend, Willie, Chris May is the best athletic director at SLU since the 1960's when he and I were in school.  Chris will find a way to get the NIL up and started and make it work for us.  Unfortunately that means raising more money and you can only go to the same people so many times.

Billiken Rich and dlarry like this

9 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-root for Tennessee all you want but after what you posted about SLU last year on the UT message board it is real easy to question any allegiance you have for the Billikens

Since you don't know me personally I guess you get your jollies writing stupid stuff about me. That's fine and dandy. Now I don't EVER have to read your asinine comments anymore. It will give me more time to read comments from knowledgeable Billiken fans!!!

billikenbill likes this

18 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

He roots for the Bills like people in STL root for the Gateway Grizzlies. "Aw, the little guys won! It doesn't matter, but good for them!"

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i've been saying that about Ford since day one.   and in the big picture, if i have to pick one needed trait of a coach, it is recruiting.   if you dont have the talent you are always going to be limited to how far you can realistically go.  however, talent that overachieves can take a team a lot further.   

as to bringing in even better players, i think that limit is based on results first.   a player isnt going to attend a bottom feeder school if he or she is a top 50 player.   so to move the talent needle even higher, we have to win.  second, we dont know yet how much this horrible NiL thing is going to affect getting players, but it only makes sense that the program with the biggest open pocketbook is going to win most of the time. 

i do not have confidence our BoT is going to allow the buying of players big time.  thus, i probably am going to grit my teeth and hope and pray that ford's talent is enough.   i too am getting restless that we see the same fails year after year.   However, i truly think this stretch we have seen in the last few weeks seems to show some changes with this roster in the way they are playing and the way they are being used.   i say let's play out the season at least and see what happens.  i just dont want to start over again.  total rebuilds, which a new coach is always going to bring, are painful and too long for us long time fans.   i dont know if i have the strength to endure another.  

for those of you thinking we are going to bring in another HoF coach like rickma, do you really think saint louis university will do that?   I dont.  

Roy...don't think Billiken fans can do anymore than see where the season turns out. Good to see some recent wins but the games left do create some nail biting to say the least. I know it can be hard to start over with a new HC, and agree we won't find another HOF HC like Majerus to beef up the hoops program.

I laughed when our neighbors to the west chose their new HC, but guess what I'm not laughing anymore. Dennis Gates looks to be a very good hire from Cleveland State. Guess their lady AD may have found herself a diamond in the rough. Not predicting Mizzou will get to the Big Dance as they have a tough road in the SEC to get a bid, but with a couple good recruiting classes I hate to say it but their chances look better than ours right now IMHO.

1 minute ago, Schasz said:

Roy...don't think Billiken fans can do anymore than see where the season turns out. Good to see some recent wins but the games left do create some nail biting to say the least. I know it can be hard to start over with a new HC, and agree we won't find another HOF HC like Majerus to beef up the hoops program.

I laughed when our neighbors to the west chose their new HC, but guess what I'm not laughing anymore. Dennis Gates looks to be a very good hire from Cleveland State. Guess their lady AD may have found herself a diamond in the rough. Not predicting Mizzou will get to the Big Dance as they have a tough road in the SEC to get a bid, but with a couple good recruiting classes I hate to say it but their chances look better than ours right now IMHO.

if missouri wins nine conference games they likely are in the dance , no .500 a-10 team will ever get in. so yes their chances are better, i have said many times, if the dance is the only goal a-10 fans will be disappointed most years the big boys have the deck stacked in their favor

34 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

if missouri wins nine conference games they likely are in the dance , no .500 a-10 team will ever get in. so yes their chances are better, i have said many times, if the dance is the only goal a-10 fans will be disappointed most years the big boys have the deck stacked in their favor

i believe Mi$$ouri right now is in the high 50's NET rankings.   while that might be a bubble possibility, it will probably depend on  the number of one bid leagues 68 total bids.   i always like to think 40 is a pretty safe number for a team without an auto spot.   so after all those at 40 or below that do not win their autobid are given their spot.   then add the conferences that have an autobid but dont have the 40 or below rank.   that will tell you how many more bubble teams can get in.  in about 3 more weeks, i will go through the conferences and try to predict the cutoff assuming no upsets in their respective tourney's by worse than 40 ranked teams.   but i am thinking 58 isnt going to do it for the tiger$

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe Mi$$ouri right now is in the high 50's NET rankings.   while that might be a bubble possibility, it will probably depend on  the number of one bid leagues 68 total bids.   i always like to think 40 is a pretty safe number for a team without an auto spot.   so after all those at 40 or below that do not win their autobid are given their spot.   then add the conferences that have an autobid but dont have the 40 or below rank.   that will tell you how many more bubble teams can get in.  in about 3 more weeks, i will go through the conferences and try to predict the cutoff assuming no upsets in their respective tourney's by worse than 40 ranked teams.   but i am thinking 58 isnt going to do it for the tiger$

Since the Vols NET is No 2 now I've got nothing to sweat about the other hoops team I root for...only if they can get a No. 1 seed!

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

It’s way easier… 

It's way easier if you think that the circumstances are the same. Every coach in the BE is better than Ford. Almost every school has deeper pockets, longer tradition, more dedicated fans, etc... Sure, it would be great to be the 5th best team in the BE. They're all way better programs except St. Johns. 

13 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

It's way easier if you think that the circumstances are the same. Every coach in the BE is better than Ford. Almost every school has deeper pockets, longer tradition, more dedicated fans, etc... Sure, it would be great to be the 5th best team in the BE. They're all way better programs except St. Johns. 

Ford Derangement Syndrome?🤔

I wonder how many potential recruits and their families look at this board during the recruiting process? Reviews are pretty important to a lot of individuals who are looking to make important decisions. Fortunately for them there are no shortage of “objective” SLU fans who will gladly let them know to avoid this university at all costs until they rid theirselves of their incompetent coach. 

50 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

DePaul is not a better program than SLU, in fact, SLU has a slightly bigger budget than them and Butler.

47 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I wonder how many potential recruits and their families look at this board during the recruiting process? Reviews are pretty important to a lot of individuals who are looking to make important decisions. Fortunately for them there are no shortage of “objective” SLU fans who will gladly let them know to avoid this university at all costs until they rid theirselves of their incompetent coach. 

Ive said it before and I'll say it again.  This is among the tamest and most supportive message boards in the nation.  That may be sad but it is true........

TheA_Bomb likes this

9 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Ive said it before and I'll say it again.  This is among the tamest and most supportive message boards in the nation.  That may be sad but it is 

Hmmm...not sure about that any more. Pretty hard for any board to top old guy's stunt.🙄