Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Anyone who WANTS Jimerson to leave is being silly.  I think many of us are just being realistic about it, though.  It seems pretty clear that Yuri was convinced to come back for “one last ride” on what everyone thought would be a very good team along with Jimerson, Thatch, and Perkins.  Unfortunately that ride has been steered directly off a cliff.  

I haven't concluded yet that ...... "Unfortunately that ride has been steered directly off a cliff".  If two players step up to be become consistent scorers and defenders out of Parker, Perkins & Hughes, then this can still be a special season IMO.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I haven't concluded yet that ...... "Unfortunately that ride has been steered directly off a cliff".  If two players step up to be become consistent scorers and defenders out of Parker, Perkins & Hughes, then this can still be a special season IMO.

At this point it is not going to be the season any of us thought.  I think even the most conservative projections had us heavily in the mix for an at-large bid.  If we are able to show any semblance of consistency, we could make a run in Brooklyn and then who knows what could happen after that. But barring a deep run where we actually look like the team we thought we were, I think it’s safe to call this season a failure. 

14 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

At this point it is not going to be the season any of us thought.  I think even the most conservative projections had us heavily in the mix for an at-large bid.  If we are able to show any semblance of consistency, we could make a run in Brooklyn and then who knows what could happen after that. But barring a deep run where we actually look like the team we thought we were, I think it’s safe to call this season a failure. 

I have long theorized that the A10 has at least 2 allocated slots. I still believe SLU/Dayton finish 1 and 2. If that happens and Dayton or SLU win the A10 Tournament, the other will get an at-large.

Llet the season play out, have some fun the rest of the way before we call it a failure. Am I heavily disappointed so far? Of course I am. But if we're not at least trying to have fun with the games remaining, what are we doing here. HAHA

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

All I know is I see him repeatedly targeted, and subsequently torched, by the other team on a regular basis, often to the point where he has to be removed from the game.  As does Perkins. 

Posters are saying we're soft.  How do you spend 4 years in a D1 program and not look even a little like Fred Thatch? 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@BLIKNS--- didn't Miles Reynolds play with a couple of big time recruits at his Chicago high school?  That turned out well, eh?  Are you saying Husak, Manning, Loe, Vouyoukous, Gillmann and some others (some an inch short of the magic seven feet) were not legitimate? How do you define "legitimate?"  

@dennis_w --- I think the Jimerson family would love to see Gibson finish in the Richmond area.  A sentiment I've heard  expressed by his grandmother and uncle.  He has his degree.  Or the Wharton School at Penn is a lot closer as well.  Uva.  VaTech.  UMd.  VCU.  Georgetown.  Lots of mid-Atlantic options.  With a degree in hand, I think he's gone.  

Perkins, Thatch, Okoro, Forrester, Pickett are all gone.  I've thrown in Collins and Jimerson in other half-empty posts.  That's a lot of unknowns and freshmen we will be depending on next year.

I keep saying this. PORTAL. 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

For that run to happen we need GJim, Okoro, and Perkins or someone stepping up to at least get close to what we thought Perkins would be giving us. We will not make a run with a 6.3 ppg Okoro and 13 ppg GJim with 35% from 3 and 40% from the field

@willie--- I hear you loud and clear.  We will have to see just how attractive and what is attractive about guys wanting to come to Saint Louis University.  Playing time will likely be available.  Moving over to get to the Dance isn't really an option based on past performance.  If all the players (especially Collins) move on or graduate, you're not playing with anyone of any stature (Justin Love signed to play with Larry Hughes as an example) that might be of influence.  Playing for Travis Ford?  Coming home?  We shall have to play the wait-n-see game.  As everyone does.

11 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@willie--- I hear you loud and clear.  We will have to see just how attractive and what is attractive about guys wanting to come to Saint Louis University.  Playing time will likely be available.  Moving over to get to the Dance isn't really an option based on past performance.  If all the players (especially Collins) move on or graduate, you're not playing with anyone of any stature (Justin Love signed to play with Larry Hughes as an example) that might be of influence.  Playing for Travis Ford?  Coming home?  We shall have to play the wait-n-see game.  As everyone does.

I have no idea how successful we will be in the NIL game but I do know there will be plenty of opportunity for playing time.  As we all know the grass us always greener on the other side. All you have to do is look what Gates has been able to do at Missouri thru the Portal. My guess is their big nil money is going to football. You sell opportunity. 

6 hours ago, dennis_w said:

If Gibson chooses to play another year college basketball at a place other than st louis he will have lots of options, if he wants to play another year in st louis he will be welcomed

He could probably get a mini payday at a large school and get the kellen Grady treatment “stand in the corner and shoot when I tell you to..”

6 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

He could probably get a mini payday at a large school and get the kellen Grady treatment “stand in the corner and shoot when I tell you to..”

That’s all he would do.  If UVA, Georgetown, Va Tech, etc. have watched him at all this year I doubt he’s their first call.  13 PPG, 35% from 3, and little to no definitive ability is basically a dime a dozen at P5 schools

35 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Do you think Jimerson is seeking a career as a professional basketball player or in finance? Do you think he may want to be closer to his family? He has a degree in international finance. Why not get what he wants plus additional basketball play and transfer to UVA or Duke. These are the IVYs of the South. A degree from Duke of UVA would be more prestigious than SLU's, probably resulting in a better position in finance. He would be closer to his family and he would be playing basketball in the ACC which is a Power 5 conference (both UVA and Duke). He might even get NILs in either school. What is so bad about such a transfer, particularly if he does not want to go into professional basketball as a career?

IF.. and I mean this is a big IF this team somehow turns it around and makes a run in the A10 tourney and Ford keeps his job, I would expect an ‘All systems go!’ On the transfer portal by Ford and company and that’s exactly what I’d do too.  

these recruits and young guys seem nice, but other than Larry jr showing he can play a little, we have zero evidence that these guys can come in and win. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

IF.. and I mean this is a big IF this team somehow turns it around and makes a run in the A10 tourney and Ford keeps his job, I would expect an ‘All systems go!’ On the transfer portal by Ford and company and that’s exactly what I’d do too.  

these recruits and young guys seem nice, but other than Larry jr showing he can play a little, we have zero evidence that these guys can come in and win. 

I hope we can see a little of what Thames can do during the rest of the season. And hopefully Parker has turned a mini corner.   If Ford stays, supplementing Hargrove, Parker, LHJ, Thames, Cisse, Kramer, and the incoming freshmen with a few good transfers, we could at least have a competitive team next year.  Obviously forward is where we will really be hurting.  A couple transfers in that department will definitely be needed, unless staff thinks Vice or Zhang (if on campus) is ready for starter’s minutes. 

Dr. Holly Hills says that we have no evidence these guys can play.  Bills by 40 already has a starting lineup in mind.  That's the typical widest spectrum possible.  Hope always springs eternal.  

13 hours ago, Fraz said:

That’s all he would do.  If UVA, Georgetown, Va Tech, etc. have watched him at all this year I doubt he’s their first call.  13 PPG, 35% from 3, and little to no definitive ability is basically a dime a dozen at P5 schools

He would be welcomed on the roster of pretty much every D1 program in the country. 

A dude that is a career 40% 3 point shooter who historically has been neutral on D. Everyone would take him. Cmon. 

brianstl likes this

Just now, JMM28 said:

He would be welcomed on the roster of pretty much every D1 program in the country. 

A dude that is a career 40% 3 point shooter who historically has been neutral on D. Everyone would take him. Cmon. 

This.  

Also I'm willing to bet money he finishes higher than the 35% he's at. 

20 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Good Luck and godspeed to him!  I just do not see him in the Big 10, the ACC, or Big East without an extra 30 lbs of muscle.  Of course it would ensure a massive career high score if he transferred to VCU and played against the Billikens.....   

Have you heard of Gradey Dick? He's 3" taller than Jimerson and weighs the exact same. 

cgeldmacher likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Dr. Holly Hills says that we have no evidence these guys can play.  Bills by 40 already has a starting lineup in mind.  That's the typical widest spectrum possible.  Hope always springs eternal.  

I do not believe that will be the lineup we roll out onto the court, it's just what I would start out of what we have on the roster as of now. The portal is obviously going to play a big role in next year's roster construction. 

4 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Have you heard of Gradey Dick? He's 3" taller than Jimerson and weighs the exact same. 

I had not in fact heard of Mr. Dick.  I'm guessing he doesn't get whacked every time he touches the ball or run around at full speed like a headless chicken.  Is it possible for a 6'7" beanpole to play for Kansas?  Obviously it is.  

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

I had not in fact heard of Mr. Dick.  I'm guessing he doesn't get whacked every time he touches the ball or run around at full speed like a headless chicken.  Is it possible for a 6'7" beanpole to play for Kansas?  Obviously it is.  

So you're not a college basketball fan, you're a SLU fan. That's okay by all means but Gradey Dick is one of the best freshmen in the country. Averaging 14P/5R/2A/1.5S on 46% shooting from the field, 47% from 3, 82% from the line. He's a stud. And he stands 6'8" 205lbs to Jimerson's 6'5" 205lbs. 

The difference is in their surroundings.   

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

So you're not a college basketball fan, you're a SLU fan. That's okay by all means but Gradey Dick is one of the best freshmen in the country. Averaging 14P/5R/2A/1.5S on 46% shooting from the field, 47% from 3, 82% from the line. He's a stud. And he stands 6'8" 205lbs to Jimerson's 6'5" 205lbs. 

The difference is in their surroundings.   

Guessing there are other differences as well....lol

52 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

When Dick gets whacked, the Jayhawks usually end up with a mess on their hands.