Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

NIL changes this.  Cian and Vice may stick around because the NIL is bigger than they would get else where. 

vice is a tenn. mr basketball finalist and is 6'11" he will have plenty of offers, cian is blowing up he will have plenty of offers. bruce is 7'1" not many of those around he will have offers, maybe they all stay not likely imo but who knows. i will take an;yones bet that ford will be the coach next year barring retirement. lets start a pool and see how many takers we get

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

vice is a tenn. mr basketball finalist and is 6'11" he will have plenty of offers, cian is blowing up he will have plenty of offers. bruce is 7'1" not many of those around he will have offers, maybe they all stay not likely imo but who knows. i will take an;yones bet that ford will be the coach next year barring retirement. lets start a pool and see how many takers we get

Maybe, but maybe not. I wouldn’t want to be a high school recruit looking for a home in the spring with the transfer portal about to open up.

Honest question, are a lot of folks arguing they think Ford will be fired? I’ll bet you that you don’t know d!ck either way, how much you in for?

5 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I'll throw a ton of money in that he will be here next year. 

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Maybe, but maybe not. I wouldn’t want to be a high school recruit looking for a home in the spring with the transfer portal about to open up.

Honest question, are a lot of folks arguing they think Ford will be fired? I’ll bet you that you don’t know d!ck either way, how much you in for?

yes many think his seat is hot, like all gamblers you play the odds, odds are strongly in favor of ford coaching next year. ho much are you in for? i might match you

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

What are you saying it changes? Increases or decreases the likelihood of guys sticking to their original commitment which in recent years had been quite high despite what some have been posting? A lot of posters on this site post so definitively about NIL when so few have any clue what the actual experience is.

Im saying having a financial interest in a school likely keeps a recruit committed more often than pre NIL. Before NIL, it didnt make much sense for a recruit to stick when a coaching change happened, now a player may say well, Im still gonna make a good amount, I'll stay and wait to see who the new coach is or etc.

TheChosenOne likes this

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I haven't heard very many who think he will be, just hope he will be.

TheChosenOne likes this

44 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im saying having a financial interest in a school likely keeps a recruit committed more often than pre NIL. Before NIL, it didnt make much sense for a recruit to stick when a coaching change happened, now a player may say well, Im still gonna make a good amount, I'll stay and wait to see who the new coach is or etc.

By the same token, if they are offered the same or more NIL money at a different school, why would they stay?

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

By the same token, if they are offered the same or more NIL money at a different school, why would they stay?

Not saying they wouldn't stay. But hopefully by that point they are comfortable with SLU from visits, and have already built a connection with teammates. This is also why its very important we as fans help donate money to NIL.  

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

people are delusional if they think they will retain any of these recruits if Ford is fired.....

why do we need incoming freshmen if we are going to participate in the buying frenzy of the portal with nil money.    we would only break those freshmen in and teach them college level basketball and then they will leave through the portal for bigger and better paycheck.  

no siree except for the near cant miss blue chippers all freshmen will hereforward have to go to low D1 to establish themselves than get bought in later years by the real college team. 

probably should have used some shade of blue font.

19 minutes ago, DOC said:

Robertson taking on this critical position is another dagger in the fire Ford crowd. 

Are you implying the coach should be spearheading these NIL fundraising groups? I would rather the institution run the show. The possibility of the coach having too much power is quite the poison pill for regime change.

I don't know if Troy is the right person to lead but it makes sense to have a Chaifetz School of Business graduate at the helm. Along with being a former player and current broadcaster he makes sense for the initial leader. They may find a better beurocrat in the future but he seems a solid pick to get the baby birthed and on the ground.

Just now, stmdragons said:

Robertson has been very vocal in his support of Travis at multiple points this year. I personally don’t think it matters much, but who knows. 

Ya I just don't see how TROB/NIL plays any part in Fords job security. Those are two separate things. Honestly, If we have more money for players, and Ford keeps falling short, wouldn't that make those higher up move on quicker?

Just now, stmdragons said:

Robertson has been very vocal in his support of Travis at multiple points this year. I personally don’t think it matters much, but who knows. 

As a broadcaster I'd expect that and I'd expect that from the AD too even if he was sharpening a dagger to kill him.....

43 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

why do we need incoming freshmen if we are going to participate in the buying frenzy of the portal with nil money.    we would only break those freshmen in and teach them college level basketball and then they will leave through the portal for bigger and better paycheck.  

no siree except for the near cant miss blue chippers all freshmen will hereforward have to go to low D1 to establish themselves than get bought in later years by the real college team. 

probably should have used some shade of blue font.

Actually, that may very well be how things shake out in the future. I’m not saying it will, but who can tell?  It will probably take incoming a highly regarded incoming freshman or two to get big NIL money and tank at a big name school for this to happen, but I could see it becoming a reality.  It happens today all the time, just because someone is a 5 star recruit doesn’t always mean they can make the transition to college ball.  Makes financial sense anyway.

38 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Are you implying the coach should be spearheading these NIL fundraising groups? I would rather the institution run the show. The possibility of the coach having too much power is quite the poison pill for regime change.

I don't know if Troy is the right person to lead but it makes sense to have a Chaifetz School of Business graduate at the helm. Along with being a former player and current broadcaster he makes sense for the initial leader. They may find a better beurocrat in the future but he seems a solid pick to get the baby birthed and on the ground.

Im not sure who should be handing out the money.  I really like Troy heading it up it and I believe they will carry a lot of weight on what goes on, especially if they raise the kind if money Troy has alluded to. As of right now he’s a big supporter of Ford and to think that doesn’t matter is silly. May will not fire Ford on his own. It will take influential people to push him to fire his friend. Robertson is setting himself up to be one of those guys. 

1 minute ago, DOC said:

Im not sure who should be handing out the money.  I really like Troy heading it up it and I believe they will carry a lot of weight on what goes on, especially if they raise the kind if money Troy has alluded to. As of right now he’s a big supporter of Ford and to think that doesn’t matter is silly. May will not fire Ford on his own. It will take influential people to push him to fire his friend. Robertson is setting himself up to be one of those guys. 

What Troy thinks about the coaching situation matters zero.  Troy can’t withhold money because he doesn’t like the fact a coach was retained or if a coach was fired.  The money the collective raises has to be spent exactly on what the money was raised for outside of reasonable expenses.  That means the money has to be spent on Billiken basketball players performing charitable acts no matter who the coach is.

The people who have an opinion that matters are the people funding the athletic department.  The people whose donations go into paying May’s salary, the coaches salaries and the rest of the athletic department’s salaries.

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What Troy thinks about the coaching situation matters zero.  Troy can’t withhold money because he doesn’t like the fact a coach was retained or if a coach was fired.  The money the collective raises has to be spent exactly on what the money was raised for outside of reasonable expenses.  That means the money has to be spent on Billiken basketball players performing charitable acts no matter who the coach is.

The people who have an opinion that matters are the people funding the athletic department.  The people whose donations go into paying May’s salary, the coaches salaries and the rest of the athletic department’s salaries.

The collective can, in theory, give money to whatever Billiken athlete they want, or not give money to whatever player they want to. I agree they will probably go along with whatever seems in sync with the Athletic Department and Coach agree on, but legally they don’t have to.

40 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The collective can, in theory, give money to whatever Billiken athlete they want, or not give money to whatever player they want to. I agree they will probably go along with whatever seems in sync with the Athletic Department and Coach agree on, but legally they don’t have to.

I wonder if funds would be considered to lure in a superstar soccer player that is an elite gamechanger to make a run at a another soccer championship. Or maybe that would cause resentment in the clubhouse that one player was making seriously more coin than everyone else.

42 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Okay, you are a member of the BVL.  I'm giving you $250,000 to divide up for the 2023-24 Men's Team.  What do you give each player.  The team already does some charitable events, so assume those continue to make this all "legal" whatever that means.

You have Collins, Jimerson, Hargrove, Parker, Hughes, Thames, Cisse, Kramer, and Rivera as players interested in what you will provide.  And add Medley, Vice and Zhang.  Better save some of that quarter million for portal adds.  Which players are gonna be pissedoff because they didn't get their 'fair share'?

33 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I wonder if funds would be considered to lure in a superstar soccer player that is an elite gamechanger to make a run at a another soccer championship. Or maybe that would cause resentment in the clubhouse that one player was making seriously more coin than everyone else.

BVF is a 501c3 correct? If that is correct, that means donors can restrict how the money is spent.  If donors are restricting their donation to be spent on charitable activities of basketball players in 2023, the BVF can’t spend that money on a different sport’s charitable activities in 2023 or for basketball charitable activities in a different year.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The collective will be a huge piece in funding the athletic department going forward. The money needed to compete will be substantial and the person running it will be as influential as any booster outside of Chaifetz.