Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

thetorch

11 hours ago, ACE said:

Goodwin increased his ppg by 5 and his rebound per game by 3 from his sophomore to his junior season, while also improving his shooting percentage. And Yuri more than doubled his ppg from his sophomore to his junior season and increased his apg by 2 per game while leading the country in assists. He also significantly improved his ft% during his career. Other than that, your take is spot on.

Funny how Goodwin's numbers went down his sr year?  Or that his best 3 point shooting of his career was actually done in the last part of his freshman year.  After he started off 1-33 he shot lights out.  Then reverted back to 27%-30% later on.

Or that Yuri as well did his best shooting his freshman year from deep.  Yuri also started very poorly from the line his first few games, shooting in the 20s.  Once he lost his jitters he was much better and then got worse overall his sophomore year.  He also peaked defensively in his sophomore year.

Plus Goodwin was an elite rebounder and bucket getter coming in to college.  Yuri was an elite passer coming into college.  Did they dvelop any other skils while they were here to not even an elite level but to an above average level?  Not really.

Other than all the holes in these examples, your take is spot on.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/1/2023 at 8:44 PM, thetorch said:

Funny how Goodwin's numbers went down his sr year?  Or that his best 3 point shooting of his career was actually done in the last part of his freshman year.  After he started off 1-33 he shot lights out.  Then reverted back to 27%-30% later on.

Or that Yuri as well did his best shooting his freshman year from deep.  Yuri also started very poorly from the line his first few games, shooting in the 20s.  Once he lost his jitters he was much better and then got worse overall his sophomore year.  He also peaked defensively in his sophomore year.

Plus Goodwin was an elite rebounder and bucket getter coming in to college.  Yuri was an elite passer coming into college.  Did they dvelop any other skils while they were here to not even an elite level but to an above average level?  Not really.

Other than all the holes in these examples, your take is spot on.

I found it interesting that Garnett was quoted as saying that he and Beal were talking about how Goodwin was one of the most fundamentally sound players in the NBA. Having watched him play in high school I can tell you for a fact that he didn't come to SLU that way. And he didn't get fundamentals from the Eagles and you can't credit his 5 minutes in the pro's for it. According to you it can't be the work of the staff so I'm guessing you would say he woke up one day that way.

ACE likes this

7 minutes ago, DOC said:

I found it interesting that Garnett was quoted as saying that he and Beal were talking about how Goodwin was one of the most fundamentally sound players in the NBA. Having watched him play in high school I can tell you for a fact that he didn't come to SLU that way. And he didn't get fundamentals from the Eagles and you can't credit his 5 minutes in the pro's for it. According to you it can't be the work of the staff so I'm guessing you would say he woke up one day that way.

not saying this is the answer to your query, but Jordan's dad played in college with Jordan's high school coach.   i.e. jordan has some very knowledgeable basketball people around him a lot.   it was always very subtle but during the billiken games, many times i would catch jordan stealing looks at his father and dad would give him a nod or a shake of the head.   unspoken but obviously understood.

i also disagree a lot as to his lack of fundamentals in high school.   the worst i can say about him as a high school player is he was so agressive, once in awhile he would be out of position on defense due to taking chances.   but imo he was the most rebounding savvy high schooler i have ever seen.  and his techniques playing man to man denial defense was always textbook.

almaman likes this

47 minutes ago, DOC said:

How many times did you see him in HS? Once, twice?

How many times did you watch him on the Eagles? I'm betting not once as outside of coaches and parents fans are sparse and you are lucky if you know where they are playing. 

We need Goodwin and the Suns to stop playing Wemby and the Spurs. The latter broke out in a big way last night at the Suns' expense. Goodwin was -13 in 10 minutes. 3 points, 3 assists, and a steal.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

We need Goodwin and the Suns to stop playing Wemby and the Spurs. The latter broke out in a big way last night at the Suns' expense. Goodwin was -13 in 10 minutes. 3 points, 3 assists, and a steal.

Maybe if Useless Frank knew what he was doing, they'd stop losing to the 2nd worst team in the NBA last year. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

it sure appears wemby is the real deal.   

If this is "the worst" that Wemby will be in his career, it is down right scary to think how good he's going to be!

He had no fear whatsoever at going at Durant. A few times he took Booker completely out of the game and got a couple easy baskets out of it.

19 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

If this is "the worst" that Wemby will be in his career, it is down right scary to think how good he's going to be!

He had no fear whatsoever at going at Durant. A few times he took Booker completely out of the game and got a couple easy baskets out of it.

we watched his becoming a pro coming out party those 2 JG games. Wonder if they're in same node in the NBA tournament ?:)

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Goodwin's 10 mins all came in the 1st half when the Spurs couldn't miss/Devin Vassell was going off & no one outside of KD on the Suns could hit anything.  Spurs cooled slightly/Vassell got hurt, but dominated the boards and the Suns turned the ball over a ton.  Why you wouldn't put the closest thing to a true PG on your roster who also happens to be an excellent rebounder when you are getting worked on the glass & coughing the ball up repeatedly, beats me.

KD & Booker put up 28 & 31 respectively on great efficiency.  Suns need some defense, rebounding, & ball control to win games NOT additional guys who can score.  But by all means Frank Vogel, keep throwing Grayson Allen out there to get cooked on D.

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Goodwin's 10 mins all came in the 1st half when the Spurs couldn't miss/Devin Vassell was going off & no one outside of KD on the Suns could hit anything.  Spurs cooled slightly/Vassell got hurt, but dominated the boards and the Suns turned the ball over a ton.  Why you wouldn't put the closest thing to a true PG on your roster who also happens to be an excellent rebounder when you are getting worked on the glass & coughing the ball up repeatedly, beats me.

KD & Booker put up 28 & 31 respectively on great efficiency.  Suns need some defense, rebounding, & ball control to win games NOT additional guys who can score.  But by all means Frank Vogel, keep throwing Grayson Allen out there to get cooked on D.

I fu**ing HATE Grayson Allen.

crymdg2 and RUBillsFan like this

1 hour ago, crymdg2 said:

The Spurs have pretty amazing timing when it comes to getting the No. 1 pick.

crymdg2 likes this

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

not saying this is the answer to your query, but Jordan's dad played in college with Jordan's high school coach.   i.e. jordan has some very knowledgeable basketball people around him a lot.   it was always very subtle but during the billiken games, many times i would catch jordan stealing looks at his father and dad would give him a nod or a shake of the head.   unspoken but obviously understood.

i also disagree a lot as to his lack of fundamentals in high school.   the worst i can say about him as a high school player is he was so agressive, once in awhile he would be out of position on defense due to taking chances.   but imo he was the most rebounding savvy high schooler i have ever seen.  and his techniques playing man to man denial defense was always textbook.

I will give you that his high IQ comes from his pops as well as his God given talent and perhaps his high motor. That’s what led to his innate ability to rebound. Not fundamentals.  His shot was horrible, he dribbled too high and turned the ball over too much in high school. And he was still a great player. Maybe we just disagree on what fundamentals are.  

6 hours ago, DOC said:

You can't have an honest debate with someone who refuses to at least admit that Goodwin improved from his sophomore to junior season.

FG% increased from .403 to .473; 2P % improved from .45 to .51; 3% from .263 to .282; RPG improved from 7.5 to 10.4; PPG improved from 10.5 to 15.5.

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

How many times did you see him in HS? Once, twice?

How many times did you watch him on the Eagles? I'm betting not once as outside of coaches and parents fans are sparse and you are lucky if you know where they are playing. 

15-20 times. No comment on Garnett and Beal's conversation? and most of the games he played in for the Eagles were streamed. You have no idea what you are talking about most of the time, but at least you're consistent. 

It’s funny how if a player doesn’t improve enough it’s the coaches fault, not the players. Except if we don’t like the player, then of course it’s his/her fault. 

There’s nothing about basketball fundamentals that is rocket science. It’s not about the teacher, it’s about the work. You can get a video of how to shoot and a video camera to record yourself if you really wanted to. 

Jordan Goidwin became my favorite Billiken ever but his failure to become a much better 3 pt shooter in college was on him not the coaching staff

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

It’s funny how if a player doesn’t improve enough it’s the coaches fault, not the players. Except if we don’t like the player, then of course it’s his/her fault. 

There’s nothing about basketball fundamentals that is rocket science. It’s not about the teacher, it’s about the work. You can get a video of how to shoot and a video camera to record yourself if you really wanted to. 

Jordan Goodwin became my favorite Billiken ever but his failure to become a much better 3 pt shooter in college was on him not the coaching staff

This is an excellent post and one I agree with.  Message boards are loaded with opinions.  Many of them are simply to support personal agendas.    (I do draw the line with the Ignore button on those that have vicious, self prompting agendas.)

Here is a question for you, nothing that I will challenge. His freshman year, Goodwin shot 23.5% from the arc.  His senior year was 31.4%.  For my 2 cents, an 8% increase is significant.  But my question for you, what would you consider 'a much better 3 pt. shooter in college?'

Just BTW, Goodwin is at 31.3% in his 69 game NBA career.  I'm not seeing Goodwin becoming an elite long range shooter (40% is my benchmark) in his NBA future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, RUBillsFan said:

There were so many reasons to hate him before this season.  Now that is essentially robbing the only Billiken in the NBA of minutes, it is personal.

Is it any shocker that the most hated man in the NBA has a slight resemblance to the most hated man in the US Senate, Ted Cruz?

billikenbill and laker119 like this

• 2 weeks later...