Coaching Carousel

BLIKNS

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is that these doormat programs that are the guaranteed "W" for everyone in the league, have these administations that arent concerned with wins because they know at the end of the year they will get their cut of the ncaa (and some of the bigger leagues also share TV money) money and they are more than satisfied with that rather than make the needed investments to upgrade facilities of the revenue sports and pay for the better coaching staffs.   they think they are winning.  

i still think that making number of sports, facility minimums and overall program budget minimums is the key to bringing the standards of the A-10 up.   those programs like LaSalle that wouldnt want to buck up can go play in the patriot league and we can go after the up and coming programs like a murray state or like we did with loyola.  next thing we know our league is back near the top of the conferences again.   there is no reason we arent at least the 6th best conference in college basketball every year.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

there is no reason we arent at least the 6th best conference in college basketball every year.  

Leapfrogging the Big East or a P5 conference seems like a stretch, given that one is the model the A10 is emulating and the others get the benefit of football money. But 7th best is there for the taking.

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I think this is a really good hire for GW.  Caputo is familiar with recruiting the DMV area and internationally.  He was a big part of building Larranaga's programs both at Mason and Miami.  This is the kind of coach GW needs,

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think this is a really good hire for GW.  Caputo is familiar with recruiting the DMV area and internationally.  He was a big part of building Larranaga's programs both at Mason and Miami.  This is the kind of coach GW needs,

I agree.  This looks like a winner.  My jaded glasses says that if he is mildly successful at GW, he will bolt back to the U when Larranaga retires.

As you said he has had exposure to the A10.  He was on the staff of the GM Final Four team. 

https://www.a10talk.com/chris-caputo-named-george-washington-mens-basketball-head-coach/

I don’t think the A10 can top the Beast but a top 7 conference is not out of reach. The AAC is going to be scrambling for programs, and other than Houston what do they have? Messphis most likely has shot itself in the foot and will be sanctioned for a few years. SMU? Football rules. The A10 has six or seven top programs with varying degrees of name recognition and tradition; Dayton, VCU, Davidson, SLU, St B’s, Loyola, Richmond. 4 sleeping giants in UMass, URI, and Fordham (don’t laugh they could be good if they get their head out of their arse), and St Joe’s. Also, GMU and GW are making coaching moves that could help. I’d think we could lose La Salle and Duquesne to the benefit of all. We missed the boat on not pitching Belmont. 
The 12 team conference would have a strong big market base of metro areas, mostly good facilities, and mostly common  academic profiles. Also, schools that have been down, ie UM, URI, GW, GMU, and Fordham have made good coaching moves. Those teams should get stronger. I already think in the top tier teams we’re stronger than the MWC and WCC. It’s the bottom half that has dragged us down, but some are now making moves to get stronger. 

Dr Bird likes this

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Collier better replace Jordan within the next couple of weeks or the Butler situation will become a dumpster fire.

I'm guessing there was some high level booster in fighting/pressure in how this went down so late.  That's why AD's need to have a secret short-list of possible coaches.  I never understood paying a search firm unless it's just a way to circumvent contacting certain coaches.  Coaching searches intrigue me so much.  I need to start my own search firm, how does one get into such things?  Hire an ex-AD?

49 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don’t think the A10 can top the Beast but a top 7 conference is not out of reach. The AAC is going to be scrambling for programs, and other than Houston what do they have? Messphis most likely has shot itself in the foot and will be sanctioned for a few years. SMU? Football rules. The A10 has six or seven top programs with varying degrees of name recognition and tradition; Dayton, VCU, Davidson, SLU, St B’s, Loyola, Richmond. 4 sleeping giants in UMass, URI, and Fordham (don’t laugh they could be good if they get their head out of their arse), and St Joe’s. Also, GMU and GW are making coaching moves that could help. I’d think we could lose La Salle and Duquesne to the benefit of all. We missed the boat on not pitching Belmont. 
The 12 team conference would have a strong big market base of metro areas, mostly good facilities, and mostly common  academic profiles. Also, schools that have been down, ie UM, URI, GW, GMU, and Fordham have made good coaching moves. Those teams should get stronger. I already think in the top tier teams we’re stronger than the MWC and WCC. It’s the bottom half that has dragged us down, but some are now making moves to get stronger. 

Houston is out of the AAC as of next summer.

Also, if Fordham is a "sleeping giant" they've been sleeping for at least 30 years. They have two winning A10 seasons since joining the conference in 1995 and their last winning A10 season was 15 years ago.

I think they're losing three of their top players in Daye, Ohams, and Quisenberry. It will be tough to back-fill that production. More than a single season, where they saw a small bump from the basement to an 8-10 record, is needed to remove the bottom feeder label.

48 minutes ago, Compton said:

Houston is out of the AAC as of next summer.

Also, if Fordham is a "sleeping giant" they've been sleeping for at least 30 years. They have two winning A10 seasons since joining the conference in 1995 and their last winning A10 season was 15 years ago.

I think they're losing three of their top players in Daye, Ohams, and Quisenberry. It will be tough to back-fill that production. More than a single season, where they saw a small bump from the basement to an 8-10 record, is needed to remove the bottom feeder label.

Neptune comes from Nova. I’m gonna be surprised if he doesn’t/can’t get them back from doormat status. Granted they have a facility problem, but assume for a moment they’d hired Pitino two years ago. He’d have had them back by now. My point about them is they’re in recruiting heaven, and the right coach can improve them greatly. Is Neptune the guy? Given his Nova pedigree he just might be the guy to do it. 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm guessing there was some high level booster in fighting/pressure in how this went down so late.  That's why AD's need to have a secret short-list of possible coaches.  I never understood paying a search firm unless it's just a way to circumvent contacting certain coaches.  Coaching searches intrigue me so much.  I need to start my own search firm, how does one get into such things?  Hire an ex-AD?

My guess would be they are looking at Mack. I am surprised he hasn’t been picked up by now. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

My guess would be they are looking at Mack. I am surprised he hasn’t been picked up by now. 

My guess is they were waiting for a clean bill of health on Thad Matta.  If not that, probably Terry Johnson.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2022/04/01/butler-basketball-fires-lavall-jordan-what-means-bulldogs/7121524001/

Butler beat writer Dave Woods isn't too kind to the Butler AD.  Why wait until Jordan's buyout goes down?

“We love the Big East but can’t really afford it.  Butler fiddled while the college basketball world burned. Ultimate responsibility lands in the laps of the president, James Danko, and athletic director, Barry Collier."

Butler has historically followed 'the Butler Way' with new hires.  Three 'Butler Way' candidates mentioned are Ronald Nored, Thad Matta and John Groce, who was an assistant under Matta at Ohio State.  Jeff Boals from Ohio U is another candidate.  Chris Mack and Dane Fife are two others mentioned, primarily as they wouldn't require Butler to pay a buy out.

Bryce Golden entered the portal a few weeks ago, and about one hour after this announcement, 6'6" Lithuanian combo guard Simas Lukosius entered the portal.  This kid has a future.

Another quote from IndyStar writer Gregg Doyel.  "Because Butler doesn’t have the resources, the cutthroat mentality, to do what it takes – whatever it takes – to compete in the Big East."

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2022/04/01/butler-basketball-fires-lavall-jordan-what-means-bulldogs/7121524001/

Butler beat writer Dave Woods isn't too kind to the Butler AD.  Why wait until Jordan's buyout goes down?

“We love the Big East but can’t really afford it.  Butler fiddled while the college basketball world burned. Ultimate responsibility lands in the laps of the president, James Danko, and athletic director, Barry Collier."

Butler has historically followed 'the Butler Way' with new hires.  Three 'Butler Way' candidates mentioned are Ronald Nored, Thad Matta and John Groce, who was an assistant under Matta at Ohio State.  Jeff Boals from Ohio U is another candidate.  Chris Mack and Dane Fife are two others mentioned, primarily as they wouldn't require Butler to pay a buy out.

Bryce Golden entered the portal a few weeks ago, and about one hour after this announcement, 6'6" Lithuanian combo guard Simas Lukosius entered the portal.  This kid has a future.

Another quote from IndyStar writer Gregg Doyel.  "Because Butler doesn’t have the resources, the cutthroat mentality, to do what it takes – whatever it takes – to compete in the Big East."

-I realize this ship looks to be out to sea, but would we?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Fine, drop out, we’d be happy to switch places. 

11 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It’s pretty simple. ADs figured out a way to offload culpability for potential mistakes related to their number one responsibility. It’s similar to what many Corporate execs do, but much more effective.