Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I wonder if there are even a thousand Billiken basketball fans on twitter?  I suspect there are more Billiken basketball fans reading this message board than there are on twitter.  A lot more.

Twitter is a cesspool, so I can see that as well.

17 hours ago, dlarry said:

As big of a cesspool that Twitter is it can actually be a good source of Sports/news information.

It is one of the first things I check every morning. I have a total of 0 tweets but it’s a great way to get information quickly.  You just need to avoid all the nonsense. 

agree.   it is a lot to wade through, but the truth is among all the weeds you have to sort through.  and now that musk has taken over i suspect even less censorship.   i dont trust any of the old traditional news sources any longer so i rarely read or watch anything to do with the likes of the old tv network news sources and what they report.   

sports rarely take any censorship hits, so you can pretty much believe you are getting all the info on the likes of the billikens.  

i intially only got on twitter for the billikens, but now i read through just about everything there and i am addicted to twitter.   

11 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

FWIW Gibson Jimerson and Christian Nunez now follow Felipe Haase on Twitter along with Forte.

Jimerson was also the only player to follow Carr. I think the staff involves him heavily in recruiting - maybe he's got the personality and selling skills to help them out. Maybe it means something maybe it doesn't. 

Landing Haase would indicate a huge investment in this year's team. All in on Okoro, Pickett, Haase, and Perkins, likely others as well. A big move is coming, that's for sure.

13 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Jimerson was also the only player to follow Carr. I think the staff involves him heavily in recruiting - maybe he's got the personality and selling skills to help them out. Maybe it means something maybe it doesn't. 

Landing Haase would indicate a huge investment in this year's team. All in on Okoro, Pickett, Haase, and Perkins, likely others as well. A big move is coming, that's for sure.

I just don't understand how we could get Haase unless one of two things happens. 1) he's ok with being a backup. 2) Ford practically guarantees minutes and plays him alongside Okoro at times. 

Haase is ranked the 7th best Portal player, higher than KJ Williams, Kenny Lofton, and a few other big names. He's way too good to take a spot backing up, we would have to play 2 centers at once for a decent amount every game, and Ford hasn't shown that he likes that.

So a little smoke building on Twitter around Haase, a player who we recruited out of HS (like 3star said) so there is some familiarity. We didn't make his final 5 back then - he chose South Carolina over Mizzou, Pitt, Purdue, and Louisville. But hey, never stop recruiting, right?

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I just don't understand how we could get Haase unless one of two things happens. 1) he's ok with being a backup. 2) Ford practically guarantees minutes and plays him alongside Okoro at times. 

Haase is ranked the 7th best Portal player, higher than KJ Williams, Kenny Lofton, and a few other big names. He's way too good to take a spot backing up, we would have to play 2 centers at once for a decent amount every game, and Ford hasn't shown that he likes that.

Give each 20MPG at the 5 and play them together for 20 minutes a game, leaving 20 minutes at the 4 open and each getting 10 there for 30MPG. That's a scenario I see them being okay with, right? 

If we do that^ I think we have to rely on one or two of our existing wings to handle backup point guard opportunities and run four out to keep the wing guys happy with their PT. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He did spend some time playing the 4 last year. 10 mpg at the 4 in their last five games per https://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Mercer

4 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Give each 20MPG at the 5 and play them together for 20 minutes a game, leaving 20 minutes at the 4 open and each getting 10 there for 30MPG. That's a scenario I see them being okay with, right? 

If we do that^ I think we have to rely on one or two of our existing wings to handle backup point guard opportunities and run four out to keep the wing guys happy with their PT. 

Sure, but like you and I are saying he would have to be guaranteed minutes. Would Ford do that?

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So a little smoke building on Twitter around Haase, a player who we recruited out of HS (like 3star said) so there is some familiarity. We didn't make his final 5 back then - he chose South Carolina over Mizzou, Pitt, Purdue, and Louisville. But hey, never stop recruiting, right?

speaking of twitter, he only has 193 followers, seems like a good time for us twitter folks to start following him now. 

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

To someone of his level, yes

I mean, I agree. But some coaches just may not do that knowing how much talent is already on this team.

First Ford has to get Hasse on campus then I can start hoping.

I have already been disappointed with Turnbull and Carr and wish Crespin would have committed during his 2 day visit so I am tempering my enthusiasm for once as a Billiken fan.

bauman likes this

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you don't think Isabell was guaranteed minutes, I've got a bridge to sell you.  He was mediocre for 2/3 of the season and still logged heavy minutes.

True, but we had the minutes available since Ford wanted Goodwin at CG more than PG. 

I don’t think you have to guarantee him minutes. Our situation along with his talent level guarantee him minutes. I’m sure he’s confident in his own abilities. Ford just needs to assure him he’s open to playing him alongside Okoro

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I mean, I agree. But some coaches just may not do that knowing how much talent is already on this team.

I mean at some point the only way to raise the ceiling is to get guys like this. Haase simultaneously raises this team's ceiling, and solves the depth problem at big man

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Ford just needs to assure him he’s open to playing him alongside Okoro

Right. While he has played two bigs at once(French- Freeman and Bell-French) it seems like Ford isnt big on doing it. 

For those that have watched Haase play, is he a good enough passer to play with Okoro? Giving 30 mins to Haase or another new big does make the minutes difficult. You have 200 minutes to allocate a game. 30 minutes to the big does squeeze Gibby/Thatch/Pickett a bit.

My best guess to make that work:

Yuri: 35

Pickett: 20

Gibby: 25

Okoro: 30

Perkins: 30

Thatch: 20

Hargrove: 5

Haase/Big: 30

Back-up PG: 5

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Right. While he has played two bigs at once(French- Freeman and Bell-French) it seems like Ford isnt big on doing it. 

The difference is, those big combinations did not have a perimeter threat.  Haase would bring that skill, making it a lot easier to play alongside another big.

Littlebill likes this