Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

Possible DeAndre Jones replacement?

Roby follows him on Twitter (both from Memphis, TN).  He played at Chaifetz SLU in Cancun this past season w ISU.  Assuming he'd need a waiver to be immediately eligible since this would be his 2nd transfer.  Seems like he could get one with ISU HC Dan Muller being fired.  I think he'd have 2 years of eligibility left.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Slowry said:

I think Yuri’s minutes might be cut back a bit.  

I doubt our recruiting pitch to keep him in St. Louis included cutting his minutes, and without another ball handler on the roster we're definitely not sitting Yuri any longer than absolutely necessary

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Possible DeAndre Jones replacement?

Roby follows him on Twitter (both from Memphis, TN).  He played at Chaifetz this past season w ISU.  Assuming he'd need a waiver to be immediately eligible since this would be his 2nd transfer.  Seems like he could get one with ISU HC Dan Muller being fired.  I think he'd have 2 years of eligibility left.

ISU game was in Cancun.

Might want to save a 2023 scholarship for Connor Turnbull.  Butler landed 6'10" C Bates through the portal.  With what they have returning and what Matta added through the portal, Turnbull is looking at 10th to 12th player in the rotation.  They have six 6'8" or taller players on the roster who can play either in the paint and/or drift out to the perimeter.  I have no idea how deep Matta will go, but minutes will be few for Turnbull.

Maybe it's not Bulter but the Big East.  Butler does have antiquated but historic Hinkle Fieldhouse for atmosphere and I beleive they draw better than us.  But going up against the competition of Villanova, Creighton, Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier and even St. John's and Georgetown is a hell of a lot better than St. Joes, La Salle, Duquesne and Fordham.  Plus the TV contract is better so your chances of being on national TV making a difference are huge.  If that matters to you.

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Might want to save a 2023 scholarship for Connor Turnbull.  Butler landed 6'10" C Bates through the portal.  With what they have returning and what Matta added through the portal, Turnbull is looking at 10th to 12th player in the rotation.  They have six 6'8" or taller players on the roster who can play either in the paint and/or drift out to the perimeter.  I have no idea how deep Matta will go, but minutes will be few for Turnbull.

This probably isn’t good for Turnbull either.

2 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This probably isn’t good for Turnbull either.

Yes, he is one of the six 6'8" players I counted.  The BE is tough on power players.  It will be an uphill journey for Conner.  I wish him well, but his seat will likely be on the bench. 

SLURadioBoy likes this

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, he is one of the six 6'8" players I counted.  The BE is tough on power players.  It will be an uphill journey for Conner.  I wish him well, but his seat will likely be on the bench. 

I bet he's thinking he made a mistake. 

12 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

That would be an interesting conversation, wouldn't it. 

Connor visited Butler this last time the same weekend Bates did, so he had to know Bates was a possible Bulldog.  6'8" Ali Ali had already transferred in from Akron and probably is penciled in as a starting F along with 6'6"Lithuanian Simas Lukosius, who can play four positions. He had been in the portal but Matta talked him back to Butler.  I think he was still in the portal at Connor's visit.  I'm not sure on the timeline for Thomas visits/commitment.  But he is probably the first big off the bench.

14 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I guess since the portal has closed he's stuck at Butler for the upcoming season, correct? Or could he still try and wiggle out because of the coaching change?

As far as our team is concerned, can someone PM me to let me know when I should start getting concerned that we have 3 open spots, only 1 big man, no imminent signs of signing anyone (which doesn't really mean much), and the few players we thought we had a realistic shot at landing moved on to other schools. Thank you kindly. 

bauman likes this

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I guess since the portal has closed he's stuck at Butler for the upcoming season, correct? 

As far as our team is concerned, can someone PM me and let me know when I should start getting concerned that we have 4 open spots, only 1 big man, no imminent signs of signing anyone (which doesn't really mean much), and the few players we thought we had a realistic shot at landing moved on to other schools. Thank you kindly. 

I think we have 3 open spots, correct?  We need one big who will play, a back-up point guard and a 3rd developmental big who probably won't play much. There are still a lot of players floating around out there. Give it another week-10 days before you start to worry.

Bizziken likes this

Just now, ACE said:

I think we have 3 open spots, correct?  We need one big who will play, a back-up point guard and a 3rd developmental big who probably won't play much. There are still a lot of players floating around out there. Give it another week-10 days before you start to worry.

Yeah I made that change in my original post. I forgot Yuri was the 4th. I'm going to hold you to that 7-10 days, Ace!

ACE likes this

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

no need to worry for awhile, late signees are not unusual, dont panic until late june

billiken_roy likes this

turnbull wants the bight lights and big cities of the big east.   let's move on.   

As skip would likely say, "I am pretty sure we quit recruiting him."

11 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

no need to worry for awhile, late signees are not unusual, dont panic until late june

Late signees are not unusual, sure, but how effective (typically) are late signees? Meaning, is it common to get an impact player in late June? A Carr/Haase-type player? I truly don't know but suspect some on here do.

well the fact spring semester is almost over and we have zero depth in place for our bigs is definitely approaching panic imo.   i guess we just hold our breath.   oh boy.  never a dull moment being a billiken fan. 

bauman likes this

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Maybe it's not Bulter but the Big East.  Butler does have antiquated but historic Hinkle Fieldhouse for atmosphere and I beleive they draw better than us.  But going up against the competition of Villanova, Creighton, Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier and even St. John's and Georgetown is a hell of a lot better than St. Joes, La Salle, Duquesne and Fordham.  Plus the TV contract is better so your chances of being on national TV making a difference are huge.  If that matters to you.

Not quite as much difference if you say than going against Dayton, VCU, Richmond, etc… 

30 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

16 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Late signees are not unusual, sure, but how effective (typically) are late signees? Meaning, is it common to get an impact player in late June? A Carr/Haase-type player? I truly don't know but suspect some on here do.

There are what, probably over 1000 players left over in the portal that haven't signed yet.  And how many decent HS players have been left out due to this extra covid year?  Every year Ford has a somewhat late signee or two. 

I'm looking at June 1 as the first benchmark for reviewing not only the Bills squad but all other A10 squads.  June 1 is the day NCAA players have to withdraw their names from the NBA draft in order to remain eligible.  Burton, Collins, Oduro are three that come to mind who are in the NBA evaluation program and would have significant impact on the A10.

51 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

As a point of comparison, Isabell signed with SLU in early June, so there is time to land an impact transfer.

In Travis I trust, but the longer it goes the pickings get smaller. According to the post above Turnbull is allowed to apply for a waiver. Bright lights, big name opponents, and national TV wouldn't seem all that attractive from the end of the bench. 

Questions. Crespin and Bradford still available? I think St. Mary's will appeal to Crespin; seaside campus, nice weather, nice tradition with foreign players. I'm not holding out too much hope. 

stmdragons likes this

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

In Travis I trust, but the longer it goes the pickings get smaller. According to the post above Turnbull is allowed to apply for a waiver. Bright lights, big name opponents, and national TV wouldn't seem all that attractive from the end of the bench. 

Questions. Crespin and Bradford still available? I think St. Mary's will appeal to Crespin; seaside campus, nice weather, nice tradition with foreign players. I'm not holding out too much hope. 

Bradford visiting Wake today. Has he scheduled anything with us?