Travis Ford is not a good coach

Bonner89

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU wasn't somehow the only team impacted by COVID over the last two years.

But we were undeniably the most affected by it in 2021. And we were one of if not hottest if not the very hottest team in the nation in 2020 when it first hit. It's okay to accept these things Brian

slufanskip and VeniceMenace like this

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Frank has what,2 hours to fill each day. He was talking SLU hoops with Rammer. You would prefer he didn’t discuss rumors on recruiting? 

Well I get your point but when it is reported here it seems to tend to put a bit more interest in a passing comment.   

16 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

But we were undeniably the most affected by it in 2021. And we were one of if not hottest if not the very hottest team in the nation in 2020 when it first hit. It's okay to accept these things Brian

Didn’t the Ivy League cancel their entire season. I’d say that is ahead of what happened to our Bills. 

23 hours ago, CBFan said:

I know that it’s already been said, but it seems Travis Ford recruits talent and tries to find 5 guys who play together well rather than recruiting athletes to complete and enhance a system, like Richmond and Davidson. As a result, he keeps running guys like Nesbit and Hargrove out there hoping they’ll do something to lead to victory rather fitting them into a system with parameters to set them up for success. Majerus was a master at this. That’s why Crews was successful his first year: he just plugged them back into the Majerus system, and they performed successfully.

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

You say that because we as fans are familiar with what happened to us.  We don't pay close attention to other teams COVID issues.

BilliesBy40 likes this

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You say that because we as fans are familiar with what happened to us.  We don't pay close attention to other teams COVID issues.

This is a good article about COVID pauses and how it impacted teams. Not surprising, the longer the break, the worse that teams bounced back: https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/2/17/22287894/college-basketball-covid-19-impact-points-per-game-win-loss-spread

UC Davis had the longest pause at 55 days. It seemed SLU had once of the longest pauses in the country at a little over a month.

7 hours ago, willie said:

If you want to be better than a mid major [Big East] those goals better be pretty damn high. 

I see all these laundry list of requirements and it's like talking to a bunch of corporate middle managers.  This is basketball.  Our team's primary goal should be competing for league titles.  Everything else is a byproduct of whether you're doing that or not. 

Other than the Majerus teams, we've never finished in the top 2 of a multi-bid league, no matter what league we've been in.  When I see how we lost games this year and how Perkins could have turned most of those losses into wins, I see a rare opportunity for us to compete for a league title.  

Even after Perkins and Okoro leave, there's the possibility of replacing them with similar pieces and and all your other key players returning.  Man, we are so close.  And I'm willing to have my heart broken to give Team Blue a chance to fulfill its promise.

DOC likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

We didn’t have the longest shut down. We didn’t have to move the team out of state for the season so they could practice and play games like other programs did.  We weren’t the hardest hit program by COVID, not even close.

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We didn’t have the longest shut down. We didn’t have to move the team out of state for the season so they could practice and play games like other programs did.  We weren’t the hardest hit program by COVID, not even close.

So what teams had a 30 day shut down and 11/13 players hit? Which of those made the tourney? 

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

No, but on a micro level there was a severely negative impact on French and Thatch. They were far from healthy last season and it impacted the game greatly.

Tired of the excuses, and the reason the teams before Majerus didn't finish in the top 2 is because, you guessed it, they didn't play at Chaifetz nor had the resources that came along with it. It's a miracle we landed Bonner, Spoonhour, and Hughes. How long are some in the fanbase going to use the past as an excuse to not get better ? I'm sorry Coach Stone's gone, but May thankfully sees the bigger picture. The clock is ticking on Ford.

On 3/17/2022 at 6:50 PM, Soderball said:

Personally, if we end up in the top 4 in conference play I am satisfied with the season. 

Tournaments and the like are one-off. Success for SLU is defined by three factors(in order of importance) ....

1. Top 4 in conference season play

2. Top 80 NET

3. NCAA Tournament appearance

If we do those, Ford is doing just fine. 

In Fords 6 years here we have twice finished top 4 of the conference and never top 3. So 2/6 on your scale

The NET hasn't been around all 6 year but let's look at kenpom as a comparable. Admittedly not exactly the same. We have done that 3/6

We have made 1 NCAA Tournament. 1/6

So we are 6/18 (33%) on your success scale. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for your lord and savior Travis Ford.

4 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

As Brian said, we were not particularly close to the most affected by it in 2021.

And one of the hottest teams in the country in 2020? That may be the biggest revisionist history I've ever read. We finished the year with 5 straight wins beating the 3rd, 5th, 8th, 13th, and 12th place teams in the conference. At a quick glance of 40 schools, 17 had a winning streak of at least 5 games including our own conference mate in Dayton who had won 20 straight including 2 over us. This board has completely rewritten history for that season. I'm surprised you guys haven't asked Chris May to hang a banner for that season yet.

This board points to a lot of excuses/reasons for Fords lack of success which is fine but eventually results matter. Some people have such low expectations that 1 NCAA Tournament in 6 years is acceptable so I can't help those who think 20 wins and no postseason wins is a success but i have my sights set on actual success. 

Just to save time, I prepared next year's excuses

1) Perkins came back but wasn't 100% but we revolved our offense around a 6th year senior coming off ACL surgery. Can't blame Ford for that

2) Perkins came back and was an All American but Ford started him slow to build him up and we lost early games. Can't blame Ford for that.

3) Perkins left and we didn't have a backup plan for a 6th year player. Can't blame Ford for that.

4) Jimerson. This board loves to blame Jimerson because he doesn't show emotion like Hargrove

5) Not enough depth. Can't blame Ford for that

6) The players Ford recruited aren't good enough. Can't blame Ford for that.

7) There was a pandemic 3 years ago. Not Ford's fault.

8 ) The refs don't like crossing the Mississippi River. Can't blame Ford for that.

9) The sun was in Ford's eyes

10) Winters are cold in St. Louis

I had taken a month long break from this board because of the stupidty, the conspiracy theories, and the Travis Ford cok sucking. Turns out it really needed to be a much longer break. See you guys in December.

brianstl, Bizziken and dlarry like this

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

After reading all these latest post I don’t know who is more delusional Missouri or SLU when it comes to expectations for the basketball program?

Is it delusional expectations to want to beat a top 25 team at some point? It has only been over nine years since we last did that.  Is it delusional to think the program should finish in the top three in the conference was in a while?

Bizziken likes this

52 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Baylor had ten positives and a 20 shutdown in February, won the Championship.

Good of you to acknowledge Baylor was not hit as hard as we were. 

I’m awaiting all the teams that make us not even close to the hardest hit by Covid. 

Bills By 40 likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Is it delusional expectations to want to beat a top 25 team at some point? It has only been over nine years since we last did that.  Is it delusional to think the program should finish in the top three in the conference was in a while?

People on this board talk about how delusional Missouri is thinking they can be a top basketball program. My point simply is Missouri fired a coach who had two   dance trips in wha 4 or 5 years and people here are saying fire Ford or give him one more year despite him winning 20 or more games in multiple years.  

No it is not bad to want to be a top 25 program but perspective must be kept in mind.  We have never been a consistent top 50 program.  I want what you want but honestly name a few coaches we could hire who would come here that can accomplish that goal. 

slufanskip likes this

28 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Good of you to acknowledge Baylor was not hit as hard as we were. 

I’m awaiting all the teams that make us not even close to the hardest hit by Covid. 

The Billikens weren’t shutdown for 30 days.  They were shutdown from December 30 to January 22 when they returned to practice.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

The Billikens weren’t shutdown for 30 days.  They were shutdown from December 30 to January 22 when they returned to practice.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

In Fords 6 years here we have twice finished top 4 of the conference and never top 3. So 2/6 on your scale

The NET hasn't been around all 6 year but let's look at kenpom as a comparable. Admittedly not exactly the same. We have done that 3/6

So we are 6/18 (33%) on your success scale. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for your lord and savior Travis Ford.

As Brian said, we were not particularly close to the most affected by it in 2021.

And one of the hottest teams in the country in 2020? That may be the biggest revisionist history I've ever read. We finished the year with 5 straight wins beating the 3rd, 5th, 8th, 13th, and 12th place teams in the conference. At a quick glance of 40 schools, 17 had a winning streak of at least 5 games including our own conference mate in Dayton who had won 20 straight including 2 over us. This board has completely rewritten history for that season. I'm surprised you guys haven't asked Chris May to hang a banner for that season yet.

This board points to a lot of excuses/reasons for Fords lack of success which is fine but eventually results matter. Some people have such low expectations that 1 NCAA Tournament in 6 years is acceptable so I can't help those who think 20 wins and no postseason wins is a success but i have my sights set on actual success. 

1) Perkins came back but wasn't 100% but we revolved our offense around a 6th year senior coming off ACL surgery. Can't blame Ford for that

2) Perkins came back and was an All American but Ford started him slow to build him up and we lost early games. Can't blame Ford for that.

3) Perkins left and we didn't have a backup plan for a 6th year player. Can't blame Ford for that.

4) Jimerson. This board loves to blame Jimerson because he doesn't show emotion like Hargrove

8 ) The refs don't like crossing the Mississippi River. Can't blame Ford for that.

I had taken a month long break from this board because of the stupidty, the conspiracy theories, and the Travis Ford cok sucking. Turns out it really needed to be a much longer break. See you guys in December.

So vulgarities are allowed as long as we misspell them?

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So 24 days and 33 days between games. 

Baylor played on Feb 2 and Feb 23 so I doubt they went 20 games between practices but even if they did it’s 20/21 as opposed to 24/33. 

Im still waiting for the teams that make us “not even close” to the hardest hit. 

And you’re comparing us to a team that was generally considered a top 3 team in the country. And then you’re not even correct 

Let's tear down the arena and go back to playing at WP and Enterprise since there's a good portion of the fanbase that think that getting blown out in consecutive games in the conference tournament and NIT is acceptable FOR THE HIGHEST PAID COACH IN THE ATLANTIC 10 WITH A BASKETBALL BUDGET THAT'S HIGHER THAN DEPAUL AND BUTLER.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

The excuses are getting really old.

Crap happens to every team and it happens every year.

Some teams rise up and face the adversity head on and some teams do not.

I’m worried we are beginning to see how this team handles adversity. 

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So 24 days and 33 days between games. 

Baylor played on Feb 2 and Feb 23 so I doubt they went 20 games between practices but even if they did it’s 20/21 as opposed to 24/33. 

Im still waiting for the teams that make us “not even close” to the hardest hit. 

And you’re comparing us to a team that was generally considered a top 3 team in the country. And then you’re not even correct 

You can move the goal post all you want. Baylor had a comparable number of players infected and a comparable pause in basketball activities. SLU was a top 20 in all the computer rankings when they want on pause. Baylor was a top 3.  SLU had an additional month to recover from their pause. 

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You can move the goal post all you want. Baylor had a comparable number of players infected and a comparable pause in basketball activities. SLU was a top 20 in all the computer rankings when they want on pause. Baylor was a top 3.  SLU had an additional month to recover from their pause. 

Lol. You’re ridiculous. I didn’t move the goal post at all you did. I said SLU was hit the hardest with a 30 day break.

You said the weren’t. They weren’t even close to being hit the hardest. Then you claim Baylor was, well in fact Baylor wasn’t. Not in practice pause or time between games. Now you are saying they were comparable pause in basketball activities. Who’s moving the goal post? I didn’t say no one else was comparable.

You said SLU wasn’t close to being hit the hardest. I’m still waiting for the list.