Jump to content

O T 14 in a row!


almaman
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, dlarry said:

Yep.

You could listen to the Cardinals on KMOX in the DC area at one point. That’s a giant reach.

 

Each team is only allowed a certain amount of “ESPN games.” 
The Cardinals had the max number from 2010-2018. They were one short of the max in 2019. I couldn’t find the numbers after that. 
I don’t like ESPN but it’s hard to argue with their Cardinals coverage.
 

 

I know it's 100% true but is this the 2nd biggest cliché behind BFIB, when it comes to the St. Louis Cardinals? People LOVE to pull this fun fact out when talking about the span of the Cardinals footprint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I know it's 100% true but is this the 2nd biggest cliché behind BFIB, when it comes to the St. Louis Cardinals? People LOVE to pull this fun fact out when talking about the span of the Cardinals footprint.

Definitely, but for this conversation that comes in to play. 

The reach of KMOX is the a big part of the reason the Cardinals are a National brand. 

Satellite radio, streaming, and cable has changed the game but professional sports fandom is usually passed down from generation to generation so the ground work has been set. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

Definitely, but for this conversation that comes in to play. 

The reach of KMOX is the a big part of the reason the Cardinals are a National brand. 

Satellite radio, streaming, and cable has changed the game but professional sports fandom is usually passed down from generation to generation so the ground work has been set. 

until the giants and dodgers moved there were no mlb teams south or west of st louis and st louis had the most farm teams. this was a large part of the widespread cardinal fandom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have the numbers and am too lazy to try and look them up but I think the Cardinals have been on national TV a lot. I know in some years they have maxed out the number of games they can play on Sunday Night Baseball. There is a limit. By the way teams and players hate that Sunday night game especially if they have to travel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dlarry said:

Definitely, but for this conversation that comes in to play. 

The reach of KMOX is the a big part of the reason the Cardinals are a National brand. 

Satellite radio, streaming, and cable has changed the game but professional sports fandom is usually passed down from generation to generation so the ground work has been set. 

This is so true. Not to change the subject, but TBS had the same effect for the Braves. There are Cardinals and Braves fans in every corner of America because they were actually accessible on a nightly basis before streaming and MLB.tv existed. It also helps that while KMOX was delivering nightly Jack Buck Cardinals broadcasts to millions, they were winning 11 World Championships and when TBS had exclusive rights to bringing Braves broadcasts to millions, they were running a future Hall of Famer out to the mound 3 nights a week and winning 14 straight division titles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, willie said:

I don't have the numbers and am too lazy to try and look them up but I think the Cardinals have been on national TV a lot. I know in some years they have maxed out the number of games they can play on Sunday Night Baseball. There is a limit. By the way teams and players hate that Sunday night game especially if they have to travel. 

They maxed out from 2010-2018 and one short of max in 2019. Not sure about this year or last.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, almaman said:

WGN Harry & the Cubs too

When I was a kid there would be a Cubs game on a lot of the afternoons.  They had done fun players to watch even though the team wasn’t that good.  The you could watch the Braves on TBS start an hour before the Cardinals started their games.  There was easy access to watch those 3 teams living in STL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, dennis_w said:

until the giants and dodgers moved there were no mlb teams south or west of st louis and st louis had the most farm teams. this was a large part of the widespread cardinal fandom

 

It’s interesting to note that the Cardinals and the Pirates are the last of the NL Central teams to spring in Florida. I always speculated the Dodgers left Vero because they didn’t see any divisional pitching in spring when it would be good to get a bit of a glimpse at what the Padres, Giants, Rockies and Diamondbacks will throw at you during those 76 combined regular season games you play against them. Florida spring training is also becoming a logistical hassle as it is so spread out in the Grapefruit League, where as the Phoenix metro area is home to 15 teams all within a fairly easy bus ride. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for tonight, I’m hijacking this thread, so me and @billiken_roycan celebrate 4 straight NL East titles for the Braves. But in all honesty, I’ll be rooting for the Cards in the WC/NLDS  and hoping for a Cards/Braves NLCS. 

4F06C1B3-CDB6-439D-BB4A-86B67E85029A.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Just for tonight, I’m hijacking this thread, so me and @billiken_roycan celebrate 4 straight NL East titles for the Braves. But in all honesty, I’ll be rooting for the Cards in the WC/NLDS  and hoping for a Cards/Braves NLCS. 

4F06C1B3-CDB6-439D-BB4A-86B67E85029A.png

finally smith actually looked like a closer last night.   best he has thrown in a long long time.  and all the new guys the braves got at the trade deadline continue to contribute big time.   soler imo looks like a young dave parker right now.  and my gosh, how the braves ever let duvall get away after last year is beyond me.  we are lucky he signed with the marlins who dump stars all the time and was able to get back to being a brave.   

i agree, i am braves first, cardinals second.   i am particularly looking forward to the one game with the cardinals vs likely the dodgers.  the dodgers are so arrogant.   i know russell has said scherzer is starting, but i think the whole dodgers organization is so arrogant they will overlook the cardinals and save scherzer and buehler for the giants and give the cardinals kershaw.   the only problem is kershaw is not the same kershaw from 10 years ago.   kershaw is where wainwright was 3 years ago and hasnt seen the light that wainwright found.   

both Cepeda jerseys are ready to go next week for me.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys. 

Remember that one time the Braves somehow lost a playoff game to the Cardinals when they had a 1st ballot HOF all-time great pitcher starting the game and the Cardinals started a rookie who imploded and threw 5 wild pitches?

Or that other time the Braves blew a massive September lead in the Wild Card race and lost the last game of the season to allow the Cardinals into the playoffs and then the Cardinals won the World Series after coming from 2 runs behind when down the their final strike twice in a must in game?

Or that other time when the Braves lost the first ever Wild Card game to the Cardinals when they started a red hot starting pitcher, the umps made a controversial infield fly rule call, and the the awful Braves fans littered the field with trash?

Good times.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Hey guys. 

Remember that one time the Braves somehow lost a playoff game to the Cardinals when they had a 1st ballot HOF all-time great pitcher starting the game and the Cardinals started a rookie who imploded and threw 5 wild pitches?

Or that other time the Braves blew a massive September lead in the Wild Card race and lost the last game of the season to allow the Cardinals into the playoffs and then the Cardinals won the World Series after coming from 2 runs behind when down the their final strike twice in a must in game?

#3 Or that other time when the Braves lost the first ever Wild Card game to the Cardinals when they started a red hot starting pitcher, the umps made a controversial infield fly rule call, and the the awful Braves fans littered the field with trash?

Good times.

 

the cheat of #3 still bothers me.   i almost threw away all cardinal stuff after that, but when i cooled down i realized inept cheating umpires arent the cardinals fault.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Hey guys. 

Remember that one time the Braves somehow lost a playoff game to the Cardinals when they had a 1st ballot HOF all-time great pitcher starting the game and the Cardinals started a rookie who imploded and threw 5 wild pitches?

Or that other time the Braves blew a massive September lead in the Wild Card race and lost the last game of the season to allow the Cardinals into the playoffs and then the Cardinals won the World Series after coming from 2 runs behind when down the their final strike twice in a must in game?

Or that other time when the Braves lost the first ever Wild Card game to the Cardinals when they started a red hot starting pitcher, the umps made a controversial infield fly rule call, and the the awful Braves fans littered the field with trash?

Good times.

 

Yup. I also remember 1996, when the Cardinals had a 3-1 lead and then the Braves won the next 3 games 14-1, 2-0 and 15-1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Yup. I also remember 1996, when the Cardinals had a 3-1 lead and then the Braves won the next 3 games 14-1, 2-0 and 15-1

And trust me, I’ve run into PLENTY of the so-called “best fans in baseball” who are complete POSes too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

And trust me, I’ve run into PLENTY of the so-called “best fans in baseball” who are complete POSes too. 

Cards fans are spoiled and think any year they aren't at least in the WS is a failure and if they don't get to the WS for 3-4 years their GM should be fired, the owner should sell to someone who really cares, etc ... 

I want to win WS, but want I really want is to be excited and enjoy baseball all season long and the Cards give me that. Plus, there is a reality to the Cards situation, they can't spend with the top franchises dollar for dollar. We have great attendance but StL TV money will never match that of NY, LA, Chicago, Atl, etc... According to fangraphs the Cards had the 13th highest yearly TV package. 

It's Oct and I'm still enjoying baseball and excited for the playoffs. IMO a good season. If we lose the WC game it'll still be a good season. I'm hoping for great though. Ready for the playoffs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Hey guys. 

Remember that one time the Braves somehow lost a playoff game to the Cardinals when they had a 1st ballot HOF all-time great pitcher starting the game and the Cardinals started a rookie who imploded and threw 5 wild pitches?

Or that other time the Braves blew a massive September lead in the Wild Card race and lost the last game of the season to allow the Cardinals into the playoffs and then the Cardinals won the World Series after coming from 2 runs behind when down the their final strike twice in a must in game?

Or that other time when the Braves lost the first ever Wild Card game to the Cardinals when they started a red hot starting pitcher, the umps made a controversial infield fly rule call, and the the awful Braves fans littered the field with trash?

Good times.

 

one more thing ru, i am putting my cardinal cepeda jersey away after your memory of the infield fly cheat game.  thanks a lot.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Cards fans are spoiled and think any year they aren't at least in the WS is a failure and if they don't get to the WS for 3-4 years their GM should be fired, the owner should sell to someone who really cares, etc ... 

I want to win WS, but want I really want is to be excited and enjoy baseball all season long and the Cards give me that. Plus, there is a reality to the Cards situation, they can't spend with the top franchises dollar for dollar. We have great attendance but StL TV money will never match that of NY, LA, Chicago, Atl, etc... According to fangraphs the Cards had the 13th highest yearly TV package. 

It's Oct and I'm still enjoying baseball and excited for the playoffs. IMO a good season. If we lose the WC game it'll still be a good season. I'm hoping for great though. Ready for the playoffs

I can understand the being spoiled to an extent. They’ve won the 2nd most World Series and haven’t been the worst team in the NL in over 100 years. What irritates me is the whole “best fans in baseball” narrative that gets shoved down everyone’s throat simply because they show up (the Cardinals are usually good, I wonder how many fans would show up if the Cards started rebuilding and playing like the Pirates or Orioles), and are moderately polite to other teams’ players. They’re not any more loyal than any other team’s fans. It just gets under my skin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

And trust me, I’ve run into PLENTY of the so-called “best fans in baseball” who are complete POSes too. 

I'm just having a little fun, but yeah.  Every fan base has POS in it.  Depending upon how you define fanbase, you're talking about millions of people.  The POSes tend to be loudest too, so they stand out.  The BFIB thing has jumped the shark in my opinion.

If you go back far enough (or not that far if you pick the right team - Giants or Red Sox), you can make a list similar to mine involving most other teams doling out similar soul crushing Cardinals defeats / disappointments.  That's what makes sports fun, right?  As Skip said, the Cardinals usually perform above their paygrade.  I'm glad to be excited about them.  I'd be ecstatic if they made an NLCS appearance vs the Braves and then irrationally devastated if they lost.  You noted the 1996 NLCS which the Cardinals really had no business being in much less up 3-1 if you go back and look at their roster, but that didn't make the losses any less painful for me as a kid.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this morning on sportscenter they said that the braves have won more divisional titles than any major league team since baseball went to a divisional format.  yeah that's not world championships, but it is something to cling to.   particularly since the braves were really bad in the 70's and 80's.   my formative fan years.  at one stretch they won the division 14 straight years.  that may never be equaled.  maddux, glavine and smoltz has to be among the best starting staff big three in history.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...