O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

59 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

This gets more interesting the more I look into it, I’m not sure it impacts any other school, or if it means the MVC is looking for a new member or not. 
There are actually two Missouri Valley Conferences, the MVC for all sports except football, and the Missouri Valley Football Conference, which is a FCS football only conference. Missouri State was a member of both, and left both conferences to join the C-USA. No Summit League team or Horizon League team is likely to join, both those conferences are non-football. (Matter of fact, the Missouri Valley Football conference already has North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, and South Dakota state from the Summit League and Youngstown State from the Horizon League as full members). The OVC is more interesting, because they are already a FBS conference, so moving to the MVFC would mean a step down to FCS football.

Most likely outcome is the MVC adds a non-football school (if they decide they need one) and the MVFC goes looking for a football only addition. Probably separate schools.

The OVC is not FBS.  The OVC and MVC are both FCS.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The OVC is not FBS.  The OVC and MVC are both FCS.

True, my mistake. But moving from one FCS conference to another doesn’t seem to be much of an upgrade in terms of the school, I doubt there’s much difference in money. The MVFC may make more money splitting the TV revenue among one less school.  Missouri State needs their alumni to dig deep in their pockets with the FBS move. 

31 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

True, my mistake. But moving from one FCS conference to another doesn’t seem to be much of an upgrade in terms of the school, I doubt there’s much difference in money. The MVFC may make more money splitting the TV revenue among one less school.  Missouri State needs their alumni to dig deep in their pockets with the FBS move. 

I’d also like to point out that there doesn’t seem to be that much revenue difference in which FCS conference you belong to. Western Illinois was in the Summit for non-football sports, and the MVFC for football, they decided to move to the OVC for all sports including football last year, they will play their first season in the OVC football this fall. The money they made in MVFC apparently isn’t that big a deal compared to the OVC.

On 5/10/2024 at 11:34 AM, BLIKNS said:

See the as a good move for the WCC, Bay Area Billiken, said this may happen... Remember Oregon State and Washington State will be temporary basketball only members.. Adding logical regional markets , is that even allowed anymore???

SeattleU, a Jesuit school, was a WCC (then WCAC) member from 1971-1980, is returning after a long absence, officially puts the WCC back in Seattle, the #12 TV market nationally.  Grand Canyon is in Phoenix, the #11 TV market nationally. The other possibility mentioned for WCC expansion has been the University of Denver, in the #16 TV market, but that one has not yet happened. 

Oregon State and Washington State, right now, are joining the WCC in Hoops for only the next two seasons, as they attempt to resurrect the Pac-12 from the soon to be Pac-2. 

When Wichita St. left the MVC in 2017 they took a close look at UW-Milwaukee and Omaha before inviting Valpo. I'd guess both are still top candidates.

Missouri State and their boosters have been angling to go FBS for years. When they hired Coach Steckel from Mizzou they explicitly said it was in hopes of positioning the school for FBS. That was just after Georgia Southern and Appalachian state made the leap from FCS to the FBS. After Steckel they hired Bobby Petrino for the same reasons. Their years of work are paying off. Whether C-USA, Sunbelt, or MAC, I think they were ready to take whatever came their way.

Does anyone see the need to replace UMass when they leave the A10 after next year? I don’t see the need myself, unless there is some requirement for the A10 to have 15 schools written into the TV contracts. As long as we make the same per conference member, I think we are good. Now if you can get someone else who increases TV revenue for all, go for it, but I can’t see anyone filling that role.

19 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

College of Charleston please   (3 hrs from Florida state line)  

There were rumblings a few years ago about Old Dominion and Charlotte lobbying the A-10. Would bring in a good market in Norfolk/News and a great market in CLT. I know they (Charlotte) abandoned us before, for the sake of football, but they allegedly want back in. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2024 at 1:44 PM, OkieBilliken said:

College of Charleston please   (3 hrs from Florida state line)  

Fully support this. 20 minutes to see the Bills v Cougars. You can bet Mack would love being back in the A10 vs the CAA. 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

If something is happening, it will happen in the next month.  If nothing happens by the end of July, it isn't ever going to happen.

Is this in any way official? 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Is this in any way official? 

If we don't get into the Big East when they logically would need more inventory to satisfy existing and new media partners in a media rights deal, we are never getting in.

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If we don't get into the Big East when they logically would need more inventory to satisfy existing and new media partners in a media rights deal, we are never getting in.

Never say never.  ACC is about to do a PAC-12 impersonation.  Who knows what happens after. 

With all the changes, revenue sharing, NIL, unlimited transfers it might be better to be a basketball school (no FB) than a mid or low level football school. 

sludevil, Compton and CenHudDude like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I know the Big East has resisted expansion in the past, but I also feel like we're in an environment where conferences need to be looking to expand or risk dying.

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

If something is happening, it will happen in the next month.  If nothing happens by the end of July, it isn't ever going to happen.

Count me in the camp of it’s never going to happen. It’s just really difficult to look at the results over the history of the program and see SLU moving the needle at all for the Big East. 

36 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Count me in the camp of it’s never going to happen. It’s just really difficult to look at the results over the history of the program and see SLU moving the needle at all for the Big East. 

Fortunately "results" is just one consideration of many when it comes to conference expansion.

almaman likes this

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

If the ACC does indeed fracture then the Beast may have its pick of choice schools for hoops. SLU ain’t one of ‘em. 

I don’t see that happening if the Big East fractures.  I don’t think the Catholic Big East schools have any desire to return to a conference dominated by football members and ACC members like BC, Pitt, Cuse and Louisville aren’t dropping football to join the Big East.

To , a perfect world ,  Big East expands adds Dayton,SLU and VCU...

As for the A-10 would love to see them go after College of Charleston , and try to convince Wichira State , they should be in a basketball only( non football ) league, or maybe Belmont... 

More domino's will fall

21 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

To , a perfect world ,  Big East expands adds Dayton,SLU and VCU...

As for the A-10 would love to see them go after College of Charleston , and try to convince Wichira State , they should be in a basketball only( non football ) league, or maybe Belmont... 

More domino's will fall

I'd like to add WSU and CofC, but I want that to come as a replacement of La salle and maybe one other team. 

My dream would be to remove Lasalle and Fordham, and Add CofC, WSU and ..... Toronto 

On 6/13/2024 at 9:25 AM, brianstl said:

Brian, not sure the timing is accurate. While the deal may be signed in the short term (for 25-26,) it is possible the Beast does not need to be specific as to teams they must add at that time. There may be a clause allowing them to add schools at a later date from a larger list of possible schools (subject to FOX and other network approval.)

If that's not the situation, then the game's already over. We know the Beast has said we "have to win." That hasn't happened and it won't by the end of July.

I tend to believe the Beast has had significant discussions with our AD and given us a list of things we must accomplish to be considered. One of them is NIL funding and we're already well on our way to the thick of Beast NIL spending. Getting off to a great start in 24-25 would be another. Top 25 ranking would be another. Lots of good national press, too.

We'll see. The clock is indeed ticking.