O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Just did a very quick google search and found that the Horizon League barred UIC which was leaving for the MVC.

OK I didn't remember any. I don't think A10 should.  If they got the auto bid the A10 would get the tournament credits. I wouldn't like it if SLU was barred.  Also if it's not in the exit rules, assuming any exist probably shouldn't be instituted.

On the bigger issue seems like a strange move but I don't know what UMASS knows and it doesn't bode well for the A10.

Does the A10 get a replacement?

CenHudDude likes this

21 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

UMass did it for football bc they are an independent.

A-10 should look to add access to TVs markets they don’t currently have and even that it’s 2nd tier basketball TV markets.  Not teams based on their NET ranking this year.  

Another reason why there no need to keep lasalle 

24 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

UMass did it for football bc they are an independent.

A-10 should look to add access to TVs markets they don’t currently have and even that it’s 2nd tier basketball TV markets.  Not teams based on their NET ranking this year.  

Correct, they were a FBS school, but an independent. Unless you are Notre Dame, that’s become a very bad place to be financially in the current world.  I think their choices realistically were either go FCS with football, or get into a FBS conference. They had been flirting with the idea of a change for awhile, but done nothing about it. Last November Delaware, which was in the same state as UMass in terms of being a FBS independent, managed to get into CUSA. That really got the UMass fan base rumbling, they felt that they had a better case to join CUSA (and may actually have had one) but Delaware out-maneuvered them and got in where a lot of UMass people wanted (and left them out), so they needed to go somewhere. Probably not a great move if you judge by just men’s basketball, but in the end that just didn’t matter.

From ESPN:

UMass had also been engaged with Conference USA, per sources. Ultimately, the MAC made more geographic sense, and it also houses more of the sports that UMass offers. UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford made clear in recent comments that joining a league was a priority for UMass.

UMass will play its final season as a football independent this year, and its schedule includes five current MAC members.

Edited by HoosierPal

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

From ESPN:

UMass had also been engaged with Conference USA, per sources. Ultimately, the MAC made more geographic sense, and it also houses more of the sports that UMass offers. UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford made clear in recent comments that joining a league was a priority for UMass.

UMass will play its final season as a football independent this year, and its schedule includes five current MAC members.

I feel for Umass fans. 

They didn't really want to leave, and if they did, it felt like it had to be for CUSA only.  Instead, they ended up in a poor mans version of CUSA.  Umass lowell now sits in a better basketball conference.  At least they will have football to watch on Tuesday nights while the rest of the country watches for comedy sake. 

More changes coming look for B10, SEC to  go to 20 teams and maybe quadrants with an internal conference seminal and championship before the CFP. So other conferences are in tenuous positions in their negotiation on CFP. ACC might be PAC12ed.

ND has a decision to make.

Good news A10 could become the ACC

Another example of football screwing things up for other sports. I just don't get why conference affiliations in football aren't completely separate from conference affiliations in all other sports.

What conference affiliation that might make sense in football often times makes absolutely no sense for the other sports. I'm not sure why college basketball coaches and stakeholders aren't pushing for this more. Those Oregon vs. Rutgers conference basketball games are just going to be stupid.

slufan13, Lord Elrond and JMM28 like this

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

I feel for Umass fans. 

They didn't really want to leave, and if they did, it felt like it had to be for CUSA only.  Instead, they ended up in a poor mans version of CUSA.  Umass lowell now sits in a better basketball conference.  At least they will have football to watch on Tuesday nights while the rest of the country watches for comedy sake. 

You don’t like Tuesday night MAC-tion? Come on. :)

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Another example of football screwing things up for other sports. I just don't get why conference affiliations in football aren't completely separate from conference affiliations in all other sports.

What conference affiliation that might make sense in football often times makes absolutely no sense for the other sports. I'm not sure why college basketball coaches and stakeholders aren't pushing for this more. Those Oregon vs. Rutgers conference basketball games are just going to be stupid.

And that doesn’t count the Oregon vs UCLA women’s lacrosse games, the USC vs Maryland volleyball games, the list is long and the cost and time away from academics (which is actually important for athletes in those sports.  

4 hours ago, ACE said:

True True. Although that critique is a bit less applicable in the case of UMass joining the MAC. Them joining CUSA would have been a pure football cash grab. The MAC has been more stable and geographically coherent almost every other D1 conference. The move to the MAC highlight's UMass basketball fans' status as second class citizens. However, outside of an invite from the ACC, the MAC was their most fan-friendly and geographically logical option.

4 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

I don’t think a conference can kick out a member?

I don’t think so either. But damn we need to just make an exception 

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I don’t think so either. But damn we need to just make an exception 

People uh schools that live in glass houses....

58 minutes ago, wgstl said:

No. We’re not the same. I hate lasalle so much 

I know we'll be better we're just last right now. Not sure why you hate them. They're not going away

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I know we'll be better we're just last right now. Not sure why you hate them. They're not going away

Constantly ranked in mid 200s. Pathetic gym(although it’s getting renovated), I guess the question is what’s to like? We don’t need the Philly market

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

Constantly ranked in mid 200s. Pathetic gym(although it’s getting renovated), I guess the question is what’s to like? We don’t need the Philly market

We would still have the Philly market with St. Joe’s.  Just curious:  Do you prefer the Olean market to the Philly market?

3 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

We would still have the Philly market with St. Joe’s.  Just curious:  Do you prefer the Olean market to the Philly market?

That's my point, we don't need Lasalle because we already have the Philly market. 

Obviously there is no market there, So what else have they done to make up for the lack of market? The bonnies have averaged a #99th national ranking over the last 10 years.  

Some big news being under reported, Ross Dellenger, ESPN article stated that B10, SEC presidents are discussing leaving the NCAA.  The same article lays out that they may negotiate B10, SEC get permanent first round byes.  Josh Pate is speculating that they're negotiate in bad faith so they can say they tried and walk away.  SEC and B10 holds all the cards. Going to be interesting.

Here's a good summary from a South Carolina message board: 

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Board/44/Contents/espn-big10-and-sec-leaving-over-playoffs-227928773/

It’s not a matter of if, but when the Big Ten and SEC will break away from the NCAA. They can make more money from football on their own. Down the road they will have their own NFL like football playoffs in each conference (4 each side) with a Championship game between the winners.

8 minutes ago, TRN said:

It’s not a matter of if, but when the Big Ten and SEC will break away from the NCAA. They can make more money from football on their own. Down the road they will have their own NFL like football playoffs in each conference (4 each side) with a Championship game between the winners.

Yeah that's the smart money, 4 Divisions of 5 teams each

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Some big news being under reported, Ross Dellenger, ESPN article stated that B10, SEC presidents are discussing leaving the NCAA.  The same article lays out that they may negotiate B10, SEC get permanent first round byes.  Josh Pate is speculating that they're negotiate in bad faith so they can say they tried and walk away.  SEC and B10 holds all the cards. Going to be interesting.

Here's a good summary from a South Carolina message board: 

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Board/44/Contents/espn-big10-and-sec-leaving-over-playoffs-227928773/

They hold all the cards until they try to form something on their own and they are slapped with an anti trust case.