Jump to content

SLU Men's Soccer Thread (2020 - 2021)


Recommended Posts

On 5/20/2022 at 2:27 PM, brianstl said:

It would be nice if that St. Louis City renaissance included fixing pot holes sometime before summer.

agreed lol. blew a tire in forest park not that long ago

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great site to read about projects happening in an around Centene Stadium and near SLU.  Hopefully this is reflective of a true resurgence in the downtown West and Mid-Town areas:

https://www.cityscene-stl.com/

Map of the projects as well:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1KzDGi7dvQy4DqFjK0sHnlj3w3FM&ll=38.63032109893717%2C-90.20774326216191&z=16

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SLU has added Freshman transfer Grady Easton from SMU. 

Grady is a former U19 FC Dallas Academy Captain and starting Center Back. He previously played for Texans SC, out of Houston, which merged with Rise. (SLU commit Marcos Moore’s club) Former top 100 recruit nationally. He had good showings playing with North Texas (USL)

Lots of size at 6’3, distributes well out of the back, good footwork. 

He is a former college teammate of SLU’s Lane Warrington. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

SLU Men’s Soccer Schedule:

https://slubillikens.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule/2022

Some regional rivalry return games as expected, from last season, at Louisville, at Creighton, home for SMU. SLU will play frequent past opponent, Marquette at home, giving them an additional Big East game.

Lipscomb won the ASun and was an NCAA team last year.

Other notes, the exhibition game with Omaha, former SLU head coach Bob Warming recently retired as Omaha’s head coach. SIUE is recruiting well. Steve Bode takes over at Loyola Chicago this year. SLU gets the Ramblers at home. Bode has a lot of FC United connections, where SLU recruits often, as well as in Milwaukee.

 

WUH likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, wgstl said:

Also,

heard a rumor that STL city 2 may be playing a game in the new stadium first now. 

 

CITY2's last home game on Sept 18 has also been venue TBD since the schedule came out. My bet is that CITY wanted to have a club game as the first match rather than Golden Boot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still, the idea of an annual game between SLU and SIUE at Centene Stadium seems a good one.  Between the two schools, they could probably fill the place, the City SC owners should be looking for other events to host there, and a soccer match is better than a concert or something. If we could year after year fill the place, it would raise the profile of both schools, raise the profile of St Louis as a soccer town, and give another date that the owners of City SC can fill up their stadium, and since it’s a soccer match no need to reconfigure the place like they may have to do for some other non-soccer event. This could be a win-win for everyone, SLU, SIUE, City SC, the city of St Louis, and if you get ESPN to broadcast it, raise the profiles of both the A10 and the OVC.  All we have to do is fill the place….

Gremio14 and CenHudDude like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hear news on the recruits for 2022 should be coming out soon but one can easily see the amount of roster turnover between the fall and spring. Lots of talent to replace although the guys that played vs Indy this spring looked very strong this past spring. 

image.thumb.png.91648c2ddd402b5e362a27ee64cecd91.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

I hear news on the recruits for 2022 should be coming out soon but one can easily see the amount of roster turnover between the fall and spring. Lots of talent to replace although the guys that played vs Indy this spring looked very strong this past spring. 

image.thumb.png.91648c2ddd402b5e362a27ee64cecd91.png

I can help with a few of those questions. 

Grant Calvert transferred to Belmont, along with Sam Rowan. Chris Bruch retired from soccer. Leeth transferred to Kentucky after a brief trial with Sporting KC II.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, courtside said:

I can help with a few of those questions. 

Grant Calvert transferred to Belmont, along with Sam Rowan. Chris Bruch retired from soccer. Leeth transferred to Kentucky after a brief trial with Sporting KC II.

At last count, I believe it will be 13 new players for SLU this season, including Warrington who played this Spring. (9 Freshmen and 4 transfers.)

The latest transfer is Enzo Okpoye, a 6’2 Center Back from Yale. First Team All Ivy, and an All Region player. Helped lead Yale to its first outright Ivy League Title in 30 years with a strong defensive performance. 

Student Athlete Courage Award Winner for his on and off the field performance, overcoming a challenging environment in Nigeria, getting diagnosed with Malaria, and having multiple early career injuries. Enzo also has a knack for big goals in big moments from a Center Back position.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 1:20 PM, courtside said:

At last count, I believe it will be 13 new players for SLU this season, including Warrington who played this Spring. (9 Freshmen and 4 transfers.)

The latest transfer is Enzo Okpoye, a 6’2 Center Back from Yale. First Team All Ivy, and an All Region player. Helped lead Yale to its first outright Ivy League Title in 30 years with a strong defensive performance. 

Student Athlete Courage Award Winner for his on and off the field performance, overcoming a challenging environment in Nigeria, getting diagnosed with Malaria, and having multiple early career injuries. Enzo also has a knack for big goals in big moments from a Center Back position.

 

Would you soccer insiders consider this to be a really good recruiting class for SLU? I’ve been trying to follow the program more closely the last year, but am still learning. I am very intrigued by the goal scoring numbers for Karson Gibbs, but wasn’t sure if he would be an immediate contributor out of the gate since he’s only a freshman.

courtside likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Would you soccer insiders consider this to be a really good recruiting class for SLU? I’ve been trying to follow the program more closely the last year, but am still learning. I am very intrigued by the goal scoring numbers for Karson Gibbs, but wasn’t sure if he would be an immediate contributor out of the gate since he’s only a freshman.

Yes. It’s a very good recruiting class. 

First, several returning players that didn’t play much or even at all last year, are very good, and, will play quite a bit. That part is less talked about and perhaps overlooked by some. But the returning players can play. That’s the first thing to know. Legut, Floriani, Moore etc…along with several players who played more often. 

Three of the transfers may start on the back line/will play a lot. And a couple of Freshmen will compete at wing back. There are 3 other attacking players that will play/provide depth in the attacking third.

Some SLU commits and targets also recently played in the MLS Next Cup in Dallas, as well as ECNL Playoffs in San Diego. (St. Louis is hosting the ECNL Boys Final 8 for the 2nd straight year) A few others (and a few recruiting targets) such as Karson have been playing with stlCITY2. (Karson also has a younger brother Ryley playing as well) As long as he is healthy, yes, he will play and contribute. 

SLU is also working hard, with other targets as well to add to the already strong group of committed 2022 and 2023 players. 

(It will probably fly under the radar a but, SIUE is recruiting pretty welp right now as well. Not SLU level but good enough to mention, yes)

You may need a roster sheet for a game or two, but SLU will have plenty of  talent for next season and beyond.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, courtside said:

Yes. It’s a very good recruiting class. 

First, several returning players that didn’t play much or even at all last year, are very good, and, will play quite a bit. That part is less talked about and perhaps overlooked by some. But the returning players can play. That’s the first thing to know. Legut, Floriani, Moore etc…along with several players who played more often. 

Three of the transfers may start on the back line/will play a lot. And a couple of Freshmen will compete at wing back. There are 3 other attacking players that will play/provide depth in the attacking third.

Some SLU commits and targets also recently played in the MLS Next Cup in Dallas, as well as ECNL Playoffs in San Diego. (St. Louis is hosting the ECNL Boys Final 8 for the 2nd straight year) A few others (and a few recruiting targets) such as Karson have been playing with stlCITY2. (Karson also has a younger brother Ryley playing as well) As long as he is healthy, yes, he will play and contribute. 

SLU is also working hard, with other targets as well to add to the already strong group of committed 2022 and 2023 players. 

(It will probably fly under the radar a but, SIUE is recruiting pretty welp right now as well. Not SLU level but good enough to mention, yes)

You may need a roster sheet for a game or two, but SLU will have plenty of  talent for next season and beyond.

Thanks, @courtside. That’s really exciting to hear. I’m looking forward to watching more games next season.

courtside likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...