SLU Men's Soccer Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I have an unfair advantage. I've gotten wide enough in my old age I can cover 92.3% of the goal without moving at all

You and @courtsidecan handle the field.  I'll take over as the 4th official, if I can figure out that electronic ipad.  It's pretty easy to add '2 minutes' or whatever to the end of the game.

Recent interview with Kipp Keller:  https://www.kvue.com/video/sports/soccer/austin-fc/post-game-reaction-austin-fc-defender-kipp-keller-speaks-after-2-1-preseason-loss-to-toronto-fc/269-ceb38623-b060-4d98-92de-297f9ed44a0b

Simon showing well in Vancouver:  https://vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/whitecaps-camp-sartini-feeling-good-after-week-1-despite-shots-both-literal-and-figurative/wcm/88084fbd-47c0-4a49-a52b-148ee76f5d3c     "Simon Becher has been the best thus far of the draft picks, unsurprising as his status as their first pick in the SuperDraft (16th overall), while academy midfielder Ali Ahmed has held his own against older competition."

• 2 weeks later...

2022 SLU commit Sebastian Zabala, athletic, versatile, D/MF, Atlanta, Georgia.

He has helped his United Futbol Academy ECNL team to an 18-4-1 league record this season. (He has also played with Concorde Fire) They gave up just two goals without a loss in the recent ECNL Florida National Showcase, which also featured other SLU commits. Previously competed against SLU assistant coach Kris Bertsch’ teams at Atlanta United. 

He helped Denmark High School to the Final Four in its first season in Georgia 7A soccer last Spring. (They are off to a 6-2 start this 2022 season thus far.)

……….

Note:

The April 2nd SLU Men’s Spring Game vs Indiana is scheduled for 7pm at WWT Park during the weekend of the SLSG Girls and Boys College Showcase Event. (SLU Women host Kansas State at home earlier in the day)

Indiana has 5 SLSG players on their team, as well as multiple committed  future players from SLSG. SLU has six SLSG players and multiple future SLSG commitments. 

Probably random and weird question: I'm putting together a sports/warmup song playlist (I'm a teacher and the PA announcer at a local high school and I've been put in charge of making a clean warmup playlist). When I went to the soccer game against LIU, I remember them playing a pretty cool song just before each half, but I can't for the life of me remember the title. Anyone know it? Thanks in advance! 

2 hours ago, billiken class of 15 said:

Probably random and weird question: I'm putting together a sports/warmup song playlist (I'm a teacher and the PA announcer at a local high school and I've been put in charge of making a clean warmup playlist). When I went to the soccer game against LIU, I remember them playing a pretty cool song just before each half, but I can't for the life of me remember the title. Anyone know it? Thanks in advance! 

Live is Life - Opus

3 hours ago, billiken class of 15 said:

Uhhhh Jock Jams Volume II or I.

It's got EMF, Technotronic, Jesus Jones,  C&C Music Factory

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

@courtsideThe MLS season starts this weekend.  Do you know which Billikens that were drafted ended up on an initial season beginning MLS roster?  I think one of two are on their clubs Next Pro roster. 

All of the drafted players have been in camp with their first teams: Kipp Keller, Patrick Schulte, Simon Becher, Isaiah Parker, Chandler Vaughn Chase Niece, Some have trained with their first teams, more than others. 

Keller has started every game and at times has looked dominant. He’ll at the very least come off of the bench and play with Austin. They have Gabrielsen, Cascante, on the left as well as Romana and Kleeman, on the right, to contend with for playing time at both inside back positions, but I think Kipp will find his way.

Becher has played, coming off of the bench in some games, started the Blue/White game, and is behind White, Cavallini, Caicedo, Gauld, Egbo for the first team.

Parker has already moved to left outside back/wingback for FC Dallas, and he is learning the position behind Farfan. He has been used as a 2nd half sub in preseason. He has a pretty good path there at that position.

Schulte was drafted  on a team with multiple good keepers. He is behind Room, Bush, Scott. He’ll see MLS Next Pro playing time and develop there.

For Vaughn, Edwards and Vallafana are projected to play left back at L.A. Galaxy. Chandler has been used as a 2nd half substitute for the Galaxy in preseason. Chandler has done well with his time and chances.

The players in the best roster position right now are Keller and Parker. It was to be expected that several of these players would need time and opportunity to develop and adjust to the next level.

Chase Niece signed with North Texas MLS Next Pro after initially training with Parker and the first team. Chase played pre academy ball U15 at FC Dallas so this was expected and he was happy to go there. 

Non drafted players that signed with MLS Next Pro teams are Mujeeb Murana (Houston, he played for their academy), AJ Palazzolo with stlCITY2) And, Mason Leeth has been training with Sporting KC 2. (former academy player there)

slufanskip and Gremio14 like this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

All of the drafted players have been in camp with their first teams: Kipp Keller, Patrick Schulte, Simon Becher, Isaiah Parker, Chandler Vaughn Chase Niece, Some have trained with their first teams, more than others. 

Keller has started every game and at times has looked dominant. He’ll at the very least come off of the bench and play with Austin. They have Gabrielsen, Cascante, on the left as well as Romana and Kleeman, on the right, to contend with for playing time at both inside back positions, but I think Kipp will find his way.

Becher has played, coming off of the bench in some games, started the Blue/White game, and is behind White, Cavallini, Caicedo, Gauld, Egbo for the first team.

Parker has already moved to left outside back/wingback for FC Dallas, and he is learning the position behind Farfan. He has been used as a 2nd half sub in preseason. He has a pretty good path there at that position.

Schulte was drafted  on a team with multiple good keepers. He is behind Room, Bush, Scott. He’ll see MLS Next Pro playing time and develop there.

For Vaughn, Edwards and Vallafana are projected to play left back at L.A. Galaxy. Chandler has been used as a 2nd half substitute for the Galaxy in preseason. Chandler has done well with his time and chances.

The players in the best roster position right now are Keller and Parker. It was to be expected that several of these players would need time and opportunity to develop and adjust to the next level.

Chase Niece signed with North Texas MLS Next Pro after initially training with Parker and the first team. Chase played pre academy ball U15 at FC Dallas so this was expected and he was happy to go there. 

Non drafted players that signed with MLS Next Pro teams are Mujeeb Murana (Houston, he played for their academy), AJ Palazzolo with stlCITY2) And, Mason Leeth has been training with Sporting KC 2. (former academy player there)

Thanks.  It's going to be hard to follow all these guys.  But that is a good problem.

courtside likes this

On 2/8/2022 at 2:06 PM, courtside said:

Full schedule announced today. Looks like the first half of their season will be played at Hermann, the second half at SIUE, and the final game at the fully-armed and operational Centene Stadium.

https://www.stlcitysc.com/news/st-louis-city2-to-host-first-ever-mls-next-pro-match-vs-rochester-new-york-fc

2 hours ago, courtside said:

On 2/23/2022 at 2:23 PM, billikenfan05 said:

MARADONA: Live is life 1989 (Completo)

Song connected to soccer by this video.

Love this video. When he was on his game, definitely the best ever….never get tired of watching his 86 WC highlights. 

HoosierPal likes this

Keller starting tonight DC (L).  Verde up 1-0 early.

Ticket prices dropped big time because it's real cold for ATX today.   Would've liked to go but had a lame conflict.