PD Preview of SLU Season with BenFred and Stu

HoosierPal

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/watch-now-previewing-slus-highly-anticipated-basketball-season/video_7a5f55ec-56ed-5222-b278-dd1bede069ac.html

Nothing new in this 15 minute podcast that hasn't been covered on this board. But it's good to hear the local press excited about the Bills. Stu is high on Lorentsson, seeing him paired on the other side of the floor with Jimerson.

slufanskip likes this

53 minutes ago, BillyKen said:

Anyone else notice that Stu referred to Andre Lorentsson as a guard multiple times? Mistake or are they thinking he is more of a 2-3 than a stretch 4?  

I scratched my head on that comment as well. A 6'8" 3? Well, what was really encouraging was his comment that if Lorentsson and Jimerson were on the floor together SLU could be a 3 point assembly line. I love to watch slamma jamma, but watching 3 pointers drop like a monsoon would be very exciting. 

doowop likes this

Lorentsson has never been sold as a big.  No matter his height he is a wing.  Over the years I think we've held back some taller players who should have been guards because we lacked size.  Hopefully that ends with Andre.

slufanskip and brianstl like this

1 hour ago, BillyKen said:

Anyone else notice that Stu referred to Andre Lorentsson as a guard multiple times? Mistake or are they thinking he is more of a 2-3 than a stretch 4?  

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I scratched my head on that comment as well. A 6'8" 3? Well, what was really encouraging was his comment that if Lorentsson and Jimerson were on the floor together SLU could be a 3 point assembly line. I love to watch slamma jamma, but watching 3 pointers drop like a monsoon would be very exciting. 

You know, for a lot of us, and for many college coaches, the game has progressed beyond your historical 1, 2,3,4,5 position labels.  You certainly have a point guard-historically a 1 -, but then you now have wings and power paint players.  Examples, where do you slot Thatch?  A guard, a forward, or a wing?  Perkins, is he a guard, a forward, or a wing?  Goodwin gets a lot of his buckets in the paint.  So is he a guard or a forward, or a wing that penetrates?  French and Bell are power, paint players, and it doesn't matter if you want to call them a 4 or 5.  When they play together, do you want to call one a Center and the other a Forward?   Why?  If you are 6'8" does that prohibit you from playing on the wing?  Lorentsson may develop enough strength to play inside, but until we see him, I'm comfortable calling him a wing.  There is nothing that says a wing can't venture into the paint for a bucket, nor a power player move out to take a three.  Don't get hung up on labels. 

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Lorentsson has never been sold as a big.  No matter his height he is a wing.  Over the years I think we've held back some taller players who should have been guards because we lacked size.  Hopefully that ends with Andre.

I think that it's written somewhere in SLU's general rules. If a player is 6'5" and over 210 he has to play the 4. Over 6'6" he plays the 4 regardless of weight. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You know, for a lot of us, and for many college coaches, the game has progressed beyond your historical 1, 2,3,4,5 position labels.  You certainly have a point guard-historically a 1 -, but then you now have wings and power paint players.  Examples, where do you slot Thatch?  A guard, a forward, or a wing?  Perkins, is he a guard, a forward, or a wing?  Goodwin gets a lot of his buckets in the paint.  So is he a guard or a forward, or a wing that penetrates?  French and Bell are power, paint players, and it doesn't matter if you want to call them a 4 or 5.  When they play together, do you want to call one a Center and the other a Forward?   Why?  If you are 6'8" does that prohibit you from playing on the wing?  Lorentsson may develop enough strength to play inside, but until we see him, I'm comfortable calling him a wing.  There is nothing that says a wing can't venture into the paint for a bucket, nor a power player move out to take a three.  Don't get hung up on labels. 

As far as what to consider them, I lend more credence to where they defend. 

32 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I think that it's written somewhere in SLU's general rules. If a player is 6'5" and over 210 he has to play the 4. Over 6'6" he plays the 4 regardless of weight. 

I like it!! 

So Jimerson, at 6'5" 200 lb, by default, is a 3 due to not making weight.  He gains some weight, he is a 4. Perkins barely makes it as a 4, 6'6" and 210 lb.   Hargrove, at 6'4", is banned from the paint.  Sorry, Lorentsson, at 6'8", but only 200 pounds, you don't make weight.  You have to play on the perimeter.

And when we play a 4 guard/wing/small lineup, which is common in the A10, where does that leave us as to defending positions?  Do our players automatically get relabeled?

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Perkins is a 3 as well.  In the A10, tall guards play the 4.  There aren't an abundance of athletic power players at this level so those guys usually play the 5.

one of my favorite ncaa teams that was not billikens, was that flying illini team of the late 80's that made it to the final four.    they had no height or assumed positions by height to speak of.   their tallest player might have been super sub marcus liberty who was definitely a guard when he entered the game was maybe 6'8".   kenny battle was their their 6'5" center and their power forward, lowell hamilton was a by the book 6'7".    there guards were nick anderson 6'6", stephen bardo 6'6" and kendal gill 6'4".  their bench besides liberty were Larry smith 6'4" and andy kaufmann 6'6".   but they all were so fast and athletic.   every game was a f'ing track meet.   but no way did they follow the book on positions.   

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I like it!! 

So Jimerson, at 6'5" 200 lb, by default, is a 3 due to not making weight.  He gains some weight, he is a 4. Perkins barely makes it as a 4, 6'6" and 210 lb.   Hargrove, at 6'4", is banned from the paint.  Sorry, Lorentsson, at 6'8", but only 200 pounds, you don't make weight.  You have to play on the perimeter.

And when we play a 4 guard/wing/small lineup, which is common in the A10, where does that leave us as to defending positions?  Do our players automatically get relabeled?

6'6" plays the 4 regardless of weight. 

This team completely f..ks SLU tradition with more than 3 players 6'6" or taller. Usually we have 3 at most, so we have to have an argument on Bills.com as to which actual 3 plays the 4.  Hell we even had 1 real wing transfer to Colorado because one of the best coaches in NCAA basketball history insisted on following SLU guidelines requiring him to play the 4. 

48 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

6'6" plays the 4 regardless of weight. 

This team completely f..ks SLU tradition with more than 3 players 6'6" or taller. Usually we have 3 at most, so we have to have an argument on Bills.com as to which actual 3 plays the 4.  Hell we even had 1 real wing transfer to Colorado because one of the best coaches in NCAA basketball history insisted on following SLU guidelines requiring him to play the 4. 

We are stiffless in the big man department for a change. usually if 6'10" or higher we have ourselves a project.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

one of my favorite ncaa teams that was not billikens, was that flying illini team of the late 80's that made it to the final four.    they had no height or assumed positions by height to speak of.   their tallest player might have been super sub marcus liberty who was definitely a guard when he entered the game was maybe 6'8".   kenny battle was their their 6'5" center and their power forward, lowell hamilton was a by the book 6'7".    there guards were nick anderson 6'6", stephen bardo 6'6" and kendal gill 6'4".  their bench besides liberty were Larry smith 6'4" and andy kaufmann 6'6".   but they all were so fast and athletic.   every game was a f'ing track meet.   but no way did they follow the book on positions.   

Take away Andy’s one “n” and he had a nice career playing Latka Gravas.  

On 10/31/2020 at 8:42 AM, slu72 said:

If we are "watching 3 pointers drop like a monsoon," then we are also going to see slamma jamma with French, Bell, Hargrove, Perkins, Goodwin, etc. on the inside when it opens wide up.

Reinert310 likes this