Welcome, Marten Linssen!

moytoy12

8 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Was wondering that too.  It's a little curious that Andre hasn't signed yet. 

I dont see it that way.  Andre would have been a frosh, and coach wanted experience.  Id like tho think we still get both?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Here's a nice little awkwardly produced intro.

1) Yes, this was two years ago, but some serious time in the weight room is needed.

2) Okay, it sounds like some tampering went on from UNCW.

3) Let's hope he didn't need many retakes on the FT's.  😀

Just now, wgstl said:

I dont see it that way.  Andre would have been a frosh, and coach wanted experience.  Id like tho think we still get both?

I think it's a little curious Andre hasn't signed, but these aren't normal times anywhere. I'm with you and think both will be on board next year.

I have to say, I love this commitment. I know you can only tell so much from a highlight video, but I’m excited about what seems to be great passing (at least for a guy his size). With the outside shooting we’re gonna gave next year, having another big man who can kick out could be huge!

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I think it's a little curious Andre hasn't signed, but these aren't normal times anywhere. I'm with you and think both will be on board next year.

I wouldn't second guess any 18 or 19 year old who currently lives in Sweden for taking a pause on coming here this summer/fall.  The list of unknown's is fairly long.

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I wonder if foreign players who haven't actually stepped foot in the US are rethinking making a commitment right now.  I personally don't think that next season is in danger due to COVID-19 concerns, but a lot of people are saying things like, "we won't go back to normal until 2022."  I'm not trying to interject COVID-19 talk, I think that discussion should stay quarantined where it is, but this may be an issue that some international players are considering.  Anyone know if other international future freshmen committed to other schools are balking at signing right now?

I like this a lot. Immediately eligible, two to play. Makes perfect sense on paper. Left Valpo because he wanted more minutes; he was backing up Derrik Smits there. He was a starter at UNCW but they were terrible and have a new coach, and he knew he could go somewhere and win and not sit out another year.

He's huge. 6-8 with a massive frame. S&C coach is probably eager to get him on a program right away, as he looks like he can shed some.

He moves well in the post. Really nice footwork. Not the strongest finisher and looks the Euro part - establishes position, tons of spins and drop-steps and layups and hooks and using the glass, not much dunking. Could also be for the same reason we don't see more dunks from Bell yet. He uses both hands well and finishes through contact.

Gets after it on the offensive glass. Boxes out well, has a good sense of spacing and timing. Hard to get around because he's so big.

Shoots .699 from the FT line and he's efficient from the field. Both will help us.

Tons of short highlight clips on Twitter if you search his name and click Latest.

TJHawk likes this

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Assuming Andre and Marten sign and everyone is back and 100% healthy, this might well be the most complete roster I've ever seen for SLU. 

Thinking/hoping Marten takes after Has in practice, will absolutely need him after next year.

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I wouldn’t want to face our bigs next year:

Has 6'7 245
Linssen 6'8 255
Jimmy 6'10 270
Madani 6'10 245

A10 Refs already licking their chops over the amount of fouls they’ll have to call to keep games competitive for our opponents.  I absolutely love that Ford has turned us into one of the most physical teams in the country. Long way from the Crews days

Just now, gobillsgo said:

A10 Refs already licking their chops over the amount of fouls they’ll have to call to keep games competitive for our opponents.  I absolutely love that Ford has turned us into one of the most physical teams in the country. Long way from the Crews days

Out of reactions. Great post. And made me laugh.

One thing about Sweden's approach to the virus was to go about business as usual. I saw a bit about it on the news. No quarantine, economy goes on as usual, and some folks wearing masks. It's not hard to imagine they are watching America like we're in the movie Contagion. Which we sort of are. 

Of course, he could still sign and just not show up. 

It seems like as long as I've been a Billiken fan, whenever we have a good team, that is expected to be followed by rebuilding.  This is the first time that I can recall feeling like next year is our year, but that we also have a lot to look forward to after next season.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

.  This is the first time that I can recall feeling like next year is our year, but that we also have a lot to look forward to after next season.

This signing has me more excited about preventing the drop off after next year than what it does for us next year

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It seems like as long as I've been a Billiken fan, whenever we have a good team, that is expected to be followed by rebuilding.  This is the first time that I can recall feeling like next year is our year, but that we also have a lot to look forward to after next season.

Yeah. We obviously lose a lot after next season (three all conference players), but with how our freshmen seemingly all delivered, you have to feel good about the roster going forward. Kudos to Ford and his coaching staff.

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

1) Yes, this was two years ago, but some serious time in the weight room is needed.

2) Okay, it sounds like some tampering went on from UNCW.

3) Let's hope he didn't need many retakes on the FT's.  😀

According to who? We have two bruisers inside. A finesse guy will be a nice change of pace. 

Think @3star_recruit said it perfectly... very much seems like the big man version of Tay Weaver. Fills a definite roster need, should be able to back up Has / Jimmy Bell. UNCW fans noted that he is a good back to the basket player who came on strong late in the season. Doesn't sound like he runs the floor particularly well, less suited for an up-tempo game. Shot 60% from the floor as a sophomore, so seems like a decent finisher. I'd be lying if I said this was my first choice with our open scholarship, but he could turn into a nice bench piece.