Jump to content

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Is anyone tired of K-State invading St Louis? 

K-State was very mediocre (for the Big 12) last season - 11-21, last in the Big 12, 90th in KenPom - and is projected to be about the same or worse this coming season after losing their top 3 scorers & rebounders to graudation or transfer.   They'll be young, but they really need the young players to mature quickly and live up to their potential or they're in trouble.  Sure they made an Elite Eight run in 2018 and they had a nice year in 2018-19 and nabbed a #4 seed, but were bounced in the 1st round of the NCAAs by UC-Irvine.  However, they need to reverse the downward trend or risk getting buried.  Past success becomes ancient history very quickly in college ball (see SLU during the Crews years). 

The 3 star recruits that Weber typically brings in aren't often going to be able to compete in the Big 12 with the likes of Kansas, Baylor (under Scott Drew), West Virginia (under Huggins) and Texas Tech (under Beard).  I'd even put them behind  Oklahoma (Lon Kruger) and Texas (Shaka Smart) in the current typical Big 12 pecking order.  They're probably on par with Oklahoma State, TCU (Dixon) and Iowa St (Prohm) and not definitively better than anyone.  The Big 12 has gotten much tougher since Weber has been there.   Some players with their sights set on a Power 5 school that can't get a better P5 offer will go to K State, but a lot of players aren't going to want to play for a team that is almost always second fiddle in conference and often in the cellar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 2 St. Louis players that Weber has coming in as FR this year will live to regret their decisions.  It's a good thing for K-St that our game last year was not part of a series of future games with us.  Playing them this year would show just how far and fast they are falling into what someone just described as the Depaul/Rutgers level .

While Luke K would have been a nice local addition, in retrospect, I think he would have had a hard time getting minutes this year and in future years.  I see him as a Jimerson-lite who would also be competing for time with Perkins, Thatch, Hargrove and Strickland this year and then all of them, minus Perkins,  the next few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bauman said:

I think the 2 St. Louis players that Weber has coming in as FR this year will live to regret their decisions.  It's a good thing for K-St that our game last year was not part of a series of future games with us.  Playing them this year would show just how far and fast they are falling into what someone just described as the Depaul/Rutgers level .

While Luke K would have been a nice local addition, in retrospect, I think he would have had a hard time getting minutes this year and in future years.  I see him as a Jimerson-lite who would also be competing for time with Perkins, Thatch, Hargrove and Strickland this year and then all of them, minus Perkins,  the next few years.

Kasubke is more than just a spot up shooter. He's going to be a great college player. I don't see Bradford as much of a difference maker at that level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Two names for the 2023 interest list:

Braylen Blue - PG, 6-4, 165 - Sun Prairie, WI (James Madison Memorial) - AAU: Madison Spartans - Twitter: @BraylenBlue
Offers: Tennessee Tech, Florida International, Eastern Washington, Howard, Jackson State, Grambling State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Duquesne, Butler, Georgetown, Creighton, Marquette, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Washington, Utah, Stanford, California, Cincinnati, Wichita State, SMU, Central Florida, Tulsa, BYU, Utah Sate, Colorado State, Boise State, Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, Santa Clara, Portland, San Diego, Princeton, Dartmouth, Columbia, Brown, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Valparaiso, Belmont, Murray State, Tennessee State, Southeast Missouri, East Tennessee State, Chattanooga, UNC-Greensboro, Samford, Ohio, Toledo, Akron, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Old Dominion, UAB, Rice, Marshall, Northern Kentucky, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Northern Illinois, IUPUI, Youngstown State, Sam Houston State, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Northwestern State, Incarnate Word, Georgia State, Appalachian State, Southeastern Louisiana, Georgia Southern, South Dakota State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Denver, Omaha, Western Illinois, St. Thomas, Oral Roberts, Cal State-Northridge, UC-Davis, UC-San Diego, Iona, Holy Cross, Loyola-Maryland, Lafayette, Boston, William & Mary, Northeastern, Drexel, UMBC, Hartford, Montana, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Idaho, Idaho State, Southern Utah, Florida Gulf Coast, Bryant, Stetson, Lipscomb, Liberty, Seattle, Chicago State, Utah Valley, North Carolina A&T, Maryland-Eastern Shore, North Carolina Central, Coppin State, Alabama A&M, Prairie View A&M.

Latest News: Blue's father received calls from Utah, Northeastern, and South Dakota State. Blue took the summer off from basketball for COVID concerns and worked out at home with his father, who is a coach and trainer. (10/16/20)

Scouting Report: Blue is a pass-first point guard with natural instincts and good length. He's got a polished skill set for his age and is a tireless worker. He's an excellent passer with great vision. He can shoot and has deep range. He transferred from Sun Prairie to Madison Memorial before his sophomore season. His father is an AAU coach with experience as a basketball skills trainer.

 

Macaleab Rich - SF, 6-5, 190 - East St. Louis, IL (East St. Louis) - AAU: Brad Beal Elite - Twitter: @macaleab
Offers: None.

Interest: Saint Louis, Ohio State, Illinois, Northwestern, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Indiana State, Sam Houston State, North Dakota, Omaha, UC-Irvine, Kansas City, Texas Southern.

Latest News: Rich said Illinois reached out recently. (10/16/20)

Scouting Report: Rich is a big, physical, explosive wing. He finishes strong and above the rim, and has no fear of contact. He has a smooth, easy stroke from the perimeter that he doesn't shoot a ton but hits when he's open. He has great body control and plays with toughness, confidence, poise, and patience beyond his years. He was ESL's third-leading scorer as a freshman, averaging 10.2 PPG and 6.2 RPG with a slashline of .531/.500/.840.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Two names for the 2023 interest list:

Braylen Blue - PG, 6-4, 165 - Sun Prairie, WI (James Madison Memorial) - AAU: Madison Spartans - Twitter: @BraylenBlue
Offers: Tennessee Tech, Florida International, Eastern Washington, Howard, Jackson State, Grambling State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Duquesne, Butler, Georgetown, Creighton, Marquette, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Washington, Utah, Stanford, California, Cincinnati, Wichita State, SMU, Central Florida, Tulsa, BYU, Utah Sate, Colorado State, Boise State, Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, Santa Clara, Portland, San Diego, Princeton, Dartmouth, Columbia, Brown, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Valparaiso, Belmont, Murray State, Tennessee State, Southeast Missouri, East Tennessee State, Chattanooga, UNC-Greensboro, Samford, Ohio, Toledo, Akron, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Old Dominion, UAB, Rice, Marshall, Northern Kentucky, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Northern Illinois, IUPUI, Youngstown State, Sam Houston State, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Northwestern State, Incarnate Word, Georgia State, Appalachian State, Southeastern Louisiana, Georgia Southern, South Dakota State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Denver, Omaha, Western Illinois, St. Thomas, Oral Roberts, Cal State-Northridge, UC-Davis, UC-San Diego, Iona, Holy Cross, Loyola-Maryland, Lafayette, Boston, William & Mary, Northeastern, Drexel, UMBC, Hartford, Montana, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Idaho, Idaho State, Southern Utah, Florida Gulf Coast, Bryant, Stetson, Lipscomb, Liberty, Seattle, Chicago State, Utah Valley, North Carolina A&T, Maryland-Eastern Shore, North Carolina Central, Coppin State, Alabama A&M, Prairie View A&M.

Latest News: Blue's father received calls from Utah, Northeastern, and South Dakota State. Blue took the summer off from basketball for COVID concerns and worked out at home with his father, who is a coach and trainer. (10/16/20)

Scouting Report: Blue is a pass-first point guard with natural instincts and good length. He's got a polished skill set for his age and is a tireless worker. He's an excellent passer with great vision. He can shoot and has deep range. He transferred from Sun Prairie to Madison Memorial before his sophomore season. His father is an AAU coach with experience as a basketball skills trainer.

 

Macaleab Rich - SF, 6-5, 190 - East St. Louis, IL (East St. Louis) - AAU: Brad Beal Elite - Twitter: @macaleab
Offers: None.

Interest: Saint Louis, Ohio State, Illinois, Northwestern, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Indiana State, Sam Houston State, North Dakota, Omaha, UC-Irvine, Kansas City, Texas Southern.

Latest News: Rich said Illinois reached out recently. (10/16/20)

Scouting Report: Rich is a big, physical, explosive wing. He finishes strong and above the rim, and has no fear of contact. He has a smooth, easy stroke from the perimeter that he doesn't shoot a ton but hits when he's open. He has great body control and plays with toughness, confidence, poise, and patience beyond his years. He was ESL's third-leading scorer as a freshman, averaging 10.2 PPG and 6.2 RPG with a slashline of .531/.500/.840.

Braylen is the cousin of Vander Blue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Braylen is the cousin of Vander Blue.

He's also been working out privately with Travis Diener over the past several months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Rich's game. I think he will be better than Hargrove. He is close with Hargrove.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, thetorch said:

I like Rich's game. I think he will be better than Hargrove. He is close with Hargrove.

Haven't seen a full game, but he looks great in the clips I've seen. He sure doesn't look as young as he is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Haven't seen a full game, but he looks great in the clips I've seen. He sure doesn't look as young as he is.

Lol when I first saw him play i thought he was at least a sophomore in high school.  He was an 8th grader 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 4:00 PM, Cowboy said:

-at this point who is recruiting Rich? 

From what I can tell: Saint Louis, Ohio State, Illinois, Northwestern, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Indiana State, Sam Houston State, North Dakota, Omaha, UC-Irvine, Kansas City, and Texas Southern. No offers yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Balboa is loaded.  Nicholson is primed to be the best player out of STL since Tatum.  Maybe better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Hope we have a shot at Nicholson then.

If he’s another Tatum or better, it will be an uphill battle as he’ll likely be a top 5 recruit. Of course if we’re setting up to be the Zaga of the Midwest who knows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If he’s another Tatum or better, it will be an uphill battle as he’ll likely be a top 5 recruit. Of course if we’re setting up to be the Zaga of the Midwest who knows. 

I didn’t realize this kid was already considered one of the top 25 players in his class. If he keeps getting better, it will be incredibly hard to keep him from going to one of the blue bloods. Hopefully Ford and Tate can get on him early and make a good impression.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I didn’t realize this kid was already considered one of the top 25 players in his class. If he keeps getting better, it will be incredibly hard to keep him from going to one of the blue bloods. Hopefully Ford and Tate can get on him early and make a good impression.

Kids go to St. Louis Christian to raise their profile -- they play a national schedule.  That's part of what hurt us with Nesbitt.  The SLC coach has a vested interest in promoting higher profile colleges because it keeps the talent who desire that outcome flowing into his program.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Kids go to St. Louis Christian to raise their profile -- they play a national schedule.  That's part of what hurt us with Nesbitt.  The SLC coach has a vested interest in promoting higher profile colleges because it keeps the talent who desire that outcome flowing into his program.  

That makes sense, especially considering the fact that the SLC coach wasn’t incredibly complimentary to SLU in The Athletic’s article discussing Nesbitt’s recruitment. I’m sure he’s always pushing his players to go to the biggest school possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

That makes sense, especially considering the fact that the SLC coach wasn’t incredibly complimentary to SLU in The Athletic’s article discussing Nesbitt’s recruitment. I’m sure he’s always pushing his players to go to the biggest school possible.

Then the SLC coach failed miserably with the Nesbitt recruitment only able to get him a scholarship at Memphis, hardly a bigger school.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bauman said:

Then the SLC coach failed miserably with the Nesbitt recruitment only able to get him a scholarship at Memphis, hardly a bigger school.

Perception is everything in recruiting.  The media is building up Penny to be the next big time coach in college basketball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Perception is everything in recruiting.  The media is building up Penny to be the next big time coach in college basketball.

I'd say "I've got two going in the NBA first round" is big time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I'd say "I've got two going in the NBA first round" is big time. 

I'd call it B S, not big time.  No way Nesbitt is a 1st rd NBA draft chioce.  I'd like to be in the room when the Draft is completed and Nesbitt walks into Penny's office.  Maybe even earlier than that when he doesn't even start at Pennyville next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...