Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
The House That Rick Built

The House That Rick Built Podcast

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

I thought YOU dunked on him?  Different game? Different opponent?

He dunked on Channing Frye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When SLU under Brad Soderberg played at Pacific (UOP) in Stockton in the '06-'07 season, I was introduced to a gentleman who played for the Billikens in the early '60's.  I was asked by the person introducing us if I knew what the former player's job (on the team was).  I didn't and asked.  The person introducing us told me his job was to guard Oscar Robertson (then of Cincinnati).  I asked the former player how he did.  His response:  Not too good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I thought YOU dunked on him?  Different game? Different opponent?

As 05 pointed out, Sloan dunked on Channing Frye of Arizona. Then the very next game at Georgia Tech he got dunked on (sort of as he was just kind of there). As Sloan mentioned during the podcast (you really should listen to it) he was the sportscenter top 10 plays of the weeks for back to back weeks because of the two dunks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kshoe said:

As 05 pointed out, Sloan dunked on Channing Frye of Arizona. Then the very next game at Georgia Tech he got dunked on (sort of as he was just kind of there). As Sloan mentioned during the podcast (you really should listen to it) he was the sportscenter top 10 plays of the weeks for back to back weeks because of the two dunks.

That alley-oop wasn't even the first ridiculous dunk in that game by GT. Muhammad also dunked it from what looked like barely inside the FT line from my angle.

We were only down 2 at half. Came out of halftime and GT went nuts. Then we pulled closer over the last 9 minutes or so to make the score look more respectable. It was just that third quarter of the game that was out of control, and the play that Sloan got dunked on was basically the end of that big run GT went on. That was Will Bynum's first game of the season after sitting for some NCAA issue.

That game was associated with the Peach Bowl. We played at the Hawks' arena and they called it the Peach Bowl Classic - which was weird, because the Peach Bowl itself wasn't for another few weeks.

That GT team was stacked - Jarrett Jack, Will Bynum, Luke Schenscher, and eventually Mario West all wound up playing in the NBA. B.J. Elder was their leading scorer, Ismail Muhammad was their highlight machine who could jump out of the gym, and none of them were seniors. Marvin Lewis was the senior that year and their third-leading scorer.

The even crazier part is that all of them were back the next season along with a freshman (Anthony Morrow) who would eventually make the NBA, too - and they somehow finished 20-12, 8-8 in conference. Preseason #3 team, 5 future NBA players, 5 seniors, 8 top-100 recruits and that's the best Paul Hewitt could get out of them. Unreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That alley-oop wasn't even the first ridiculous dunk in that game by GT. Muhammad also dunked it from what looked like barely inside the FT line from my angle.

We were only down 2 at half. Came out of halftime and GT went nuts. Then we pulled closer over the last 9 minutes or so to make the score look more respectable. It was just that third quarter of the game that was out of control, and the play that Sloan got dunked on was basically the end of that big run GT went on. That was Will Bynum's first game of the season after sitting for some NCAA issue.

That game was associated with the Peach Bowl. We played at the Hawks' arena and they called it the Peach Bowl Classic - which was weird, because the Peach Bowl itself wasn't for another few weeks.

That GT team was stacked - Jarrett Jack, Will Bynum, Luke Schenscher, and eventually Mario West all wound up playing in the NBA. B.J. Elder was their leading scorer, Ismail Muhammad was their highlight machine who could jump out of the gym, and none of them were seniors. Marvin Lewis was the senior that year and their third-leading scorer.

The even crazier part is that all of them were back the next season along with a freshman (Anthony Morrow) who would eventually make the NBA, too - and they somehow finished 20-12, 8-8 in conference. Preseason #3 team, 5 future NBA players, 5 seniors, 8 top-100 recruits and that's the best Paul Hewitt could get out of them. Unreal.

Those two Arizona teams Sloan played were loaded too. Sloan’s junior season Iguodala and the fore mentioned Will Bynum were coming off their bench.  He transferred to Tech a few games after the SLU game. That is why Bynum was sitting for Tech before the SLU game the next season.  That first game against Arizona they had six future NBA players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New episode is out, different than normal kind of a three hour running conversation. Had the guys from 3 Bid League come on to talk A10 and SLU, then myself and John from West Pine Warriors talked conference and coaches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys if you haven’t checked out the interview with Paul Biancardi please do! There’s a great Paul Eckerle story in there but getting Biancardi’s perspective was just a whole other dynamic to add to what we’ve heard from players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...