Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Looking forward to Wednesday to welcome SLU's new recruits. 

Need a big.  Any chance at all SLU signs four this week?

Hargrove is one big, I agree we need more hopefully a surprise is out there.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Hargrove is one big, I agree we need more hopefully a surprise is out there.

i do not   consider hargrove a big.   i think he will be bess's replacement.

Tomorrow, 11/14/18, begins the early signing period, which ends next week on 11/21/18. As far as I know, Hargrove, Collins, and Jimerson are all expected to sign, so I figured we could have a thread with updates related to their signings.

If we don't land a high school big during this period, I think the next area we should be monitoring is the transfer market at semester break. There typically aren't a great number of them, but with one open scholarship... if some intriguing bigs hit the market, I would expect Travis to explore that route.

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

If we don't land a high school big during this period, I think the next area we should be monitoring is the transfer market at semester break. There typically aren't a great number of them, but with one open scholarship... if some intriguing bigs hit the market, I would expect Travis to explore that route.

I don't think SLU can use the scholarship from Santos since he was already using it well into September of this year.

53 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

We already have one.

Mea culpa. (Thanks for cleaning up my mess. I haven't been on much in the last week because I've been working on some projects so I was trying to catch up with too much at once.)

55 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I don't think SLU can use the scholarship from Santos since he was already using it well into September of this year.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

You sure about that?

Once you're released, it's fair game. We can use his scholarship at the semester break if a mid-season transfer is available.

Now, I don't know if I would do it, given how many transfers were cleared for immediate eligibility. I might just wait until spring and hope for a rule change or another waiver-heavy year.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Once you're released, it's fair game. We can use his scholarship at the semester break if a mid-season transfer is available.

Now, I don't know if I would do it, given how many transfers were cleared for immediate eligibility. I might just wait until spring and hope for a rule change or another waiver-heavy year.

Unless it was part of a rule change this year, you aren't allowed to re-use a scholarship after someone has used it that year. In a situation like Keith Carter's transfer out of SLU, SLU couldn't have given that scholarship to anyone for the 2nd semester. They are annual scholarships and used 100% as soon as they are used in one semester. 

brianstl likes this

57 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Unless it was part of a rule change this year, you aren't allowed to re-use a scholarship after someone has used it that year. In a situation like Keith Carter's transfer out of SLU, SLU couldn't have given that scholarship to anyone for the 2nd semester. They are annual scholarships and used 100% as soon as they are used in one semester. 

This is my understanding, too.

58 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If that is correct, this is just another NCAA rule that seemingly makes no sense. 

If you have a player leave at semester, why couldn't you add a replacement at that time?

34 minutes ago, ACE said:

If that is correct, this is just another NCAA rule that seemingly makes no sense. 

If you have a player leave at semester, why couldn't you add a replacement at that time?

probably in an attempt to ward off coaches running off players to create a roster spot.

willie likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

probably in an attempt to ward off coaches running off players to create a roster spot.

But on the flip side, schools that have a player bolt at semester break are penalized by not being able to potentially use that scholarship.