So much for Welmer.......

stu durando @studurando 2h2 hours ago

SLU’s Elliott Welmer has had his comeback hit a bump after he injured his left foot, the same foot that required surgery twice for a fracture. This injury has not been diagnosed. He will be out indefinitely.

Sucks.  Seems like a good kid with the Porter family injured gene......

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Who GAF - he is hurt again and time for him to grow up and become a member of the adult world.

I don't see the correlation between me explaining that just because it's Welmer's bad foot doesn't mean it's automatically the same injury and your assertion that Welmer is some how trying to hang onto college and isn't ready to "grow up"

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

The problem is the word "indefinitely."  Whether it's a hammer toe, bunion, ingrown toenail, ligament, muscle, or bone is irrelevant.  I think it's probably harsh to tell him to grow up but I do think it's reasonable to talk about both sides moving on......

Ok I’m gonna be splitting hairs here, or toe nails but he also preceded that by saying it hadn’t been “diagnosed yet” so of course if you’re hurt and they haven’t evaluated injury you would be out indefinitely 

Stu recently Tweeted the following:

Elliott Welmer (foot) will not play in SLU's exhibition against Quincy on Saturday. KC Hankton (toe) is unlikely to see action, according to Travis Ford. And Demarius Jacobs' certification process with the NCAA had not been completed as of the start of practice today.

Travis Ford was guarded in his information regarding Welmer's injury: "Elliott is out indefinitely. He won't be back any time soon. We know what's wrong. We'll decide what is next at this point and once he decides that, we'll give out more information."

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Stu recently Tweeted the following:

Elliott Welmer (foot) will not play in SLU's exhibition against Quincy on Saturday. KC Hankton (toe) is unlikely to see action, according to Travis Ford. And Demarius Jacobs' certification process with the NCAA had not been completed as of the start of practice today.

Travis Ford was guarded in his information regarding Welmer's injury: "Elliott is out indefinitely. He won't be back any time soon. We know what's wrong. We'll decide what is next at this point and once he decides that, we'll give out more information."

Not good news on any of those fronts...

Won't be back any time soon sounds a lot worse than a bunion or a severe case of athlete's foot. Pretty sure Mr. Welmer will get his MBA and move back to Indiana. Become a CPA and hopefully doesn't have to wear a boot for the rest of his life. Feet are a problem. Also, don't like to hear young Hankton has a toe problem. Those little suckers tend to linger and are very painful. Jacobs? C'mon NCAA. But suddenly our intimidating front line is down to 3 guys.

Sounds like the handwriting is on the wall for Welmer. Hate if for him and disappointed I don't get to call him The "Over" Welmer anymore. Add in Hankton and Jacobs and it looks like situation 3 but without the sex.

10 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Sounds like the handwriting is on the wall for Welmer. Hate if for him and disappointed I don't get to call him The "Over" Welmer anymore. Add in Hankton and Jacobs and it looks like situation 3 but without the sex.

Except none of the cornerstone players of the program are out or in jeopardy and there's still a pretty deep rotation of talent, even when compared to the best SLU teams.

TheChosenOne likes this

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Except none of the cornerstone players of the program are out or in jeopardy and there's still a pretty deep rotation of talent, even when compared to the best SLU teams.

Won’t hurt as bad this year but that’s three players from next year’s team as well. Gotta be careful or we will be playing with six or seven scholarship players again. 

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Won’t hurt as bad this year but that’s three players from next year’s team as well. Gotta be careful or we will be playing with six or seven scholarship players again. 

Last year 2 of those scholarship players included a former walk-on and a guy who averaged 6.5 MPG for his 4 year career.

I have to think Jacobs will get cleared eventually. Without him they're going to be thin at guard until Isabell and/or Wiley get healthy but they have the players to handle the early season home games.

This projected season opening roster is not that far off from the original projected rotation

Jordan Goodwin
Fred Thatch
Javon Bess
Carte'Are Gordon
Hasahn French

Tramaine Isabell (less than 100%)
Dion Wiley (less than 100%)
DJ Foreman
Thor Gudmundsson

Remember in early 2012-13 Kwamain had a broken foot and Jett was not 100% and at one point McCall was the only available guard in a game against KU...and by late January they were running Brad Stevens' top 10 ranked squad off the floor.

NextYearBill and Brighton like this