Sinquefield $50 Million Donation

GBL_Bills

21 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

There is a plethora of misinformation on this board that often seems to somehow get a life of its own and is cited as fact when not true at all. This statement is false. Dr Pestello has done an excellent job of gaining the confidence of many major donors to the university including Dr Chaifetz and the Sinquefields, among others. He has also delveloped an excellent relationship with many of the top leaders and philanthropists in St Louis and in other cities who value and respect his leadership at Saint Louis University. He has played a key role in the highly successful fundraising done at SLU over the past three years and continues to do so.

I agree it is funny how somebody says something and it is reposted and now it is fact.  My understanding - please do not take this as  personally verified fact - that Biondi was brought back to help with reaching out to our Asian connections where he had a big presence.  He would travel there every year (around the NCAA Tourney time) and would be gone for weeks recruiting students and money.  Either way, it really doesn't matter how or who got the money just that the money was gotten.  By the way, if Freddie was weak on fundraising then he would have been run off long ago - private schools have to raise funds on a continual basis or else they won't survive.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NO ONE SHOULD EVER READ A QUESTION AS A VERIFIED FACT.

I asked a question and accepted a correction.

No need to misrepresent what I said.

A President could be weak on fundraising and survive four years if he or she has the support of the faculty.

Are there any faculty on this board? If so, I would be interested in their opinion of Pestello. I honestly don't care that much (the only thing I really care about is the basketball program), but just curious. Sadly I don't think I will ever be able to get over just how goofy looking he is.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how this historic gift was secured (heck, is it overly difficult to get significant $ from a 74 year old billionaire or however wealthy he is given some of his spending decisions?), so great news for the school.

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Are there any faculty on this board? If so, I would be interested in their opinion of Pestello. I honestly don't care that much (the only thing I really care about is the basketball program), but just curious. Sadly I don't think I will ever be able to get over just how goofy looking he is.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how this historic gift was secured (heck, is it overly difficult to get significant $ from a 74 year old billionaire or however wealthy he is given some of his spending decisions?), so great news for the school.

I believe there are at least two.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Are there any faculty on this board? If so, I would be interested in their opinion of Pestello. I honestly don't care that much (the only thing I really care about is the basketball program), but just curious.

-none of us, well perhaps one of us, knows how easy or difficult it was to get this donation, but your second question comes across as rather petty

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-none of us, well perhaps one of us, knows how easy or difficult it was to get this donation, but your second question comes across as rather petty

I think that was all in the same question. I suppose it was petty considering the timing, but as his alma mater you better find away to get some of that action.

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think that was all in the same question. I suppose it was petty considering the timing, but as his alma mater you better find away to get some of that action.

-and whoever was to find that action, did

20 minutes ago, willie said:

What ever happened to Doc B. Get mad and take his ball home? 

He came in for a lot of abuse on the board with S2 & he said sayanora.  He's a true insider & attends practices.  I suspect he'll be back this season as the conversation turns positive.  I miss his contributions.  He's probably lurking.

Tonka and slufanskip like this

9 hours ago, SShoe said:

There really isn't much on here that's all that leftist.  The man has made a name for himself by donating vast sums of money to political candidates and movements, and as indicated by wgstl, has donated to both parties.  I can't speak for others, but my comment is more a statement about my own personal disdain for large political donors as a whole. 

People can spend their money as they choose, but donating to academic institutions in the pursuit of advancements in medical research is, in my mind, something else entirely and will be a benefit to the university and region.

Willie you raised a smart son. Large political donations are what is wrong with politics on both sides. 

37 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That, and the fact that there should be more than "two sides."

In an ideal world, yes, it would be great to break the two party system. But in reality, the only plausible way to achieve that would be to abolish the electoral college and completely redo our current voting system. You would have to adopt a system like France where all of the presidential candidates (regardless of party) are pooled together in the primary and the top vote getters move on to the next round. 

16 minutes ago, willie said:

Professor Steve probably disagrees but I am not a fan of the electrol college. I wish we had a viable third party. The concept of having to compromise to govern might bring things back to the center instead of the polarized left and right. 

I am also opposed to the Electoral College - but moreso for why it was established:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/electoral-college-slavery-constitution

Amazing, we have gone from a major donation, to the topic of how to extract money from donors, to the electoral college, all in the space of a few posts and in the context of a board that  tries to avoid political issues. History is being made here!

1 hour ago, willie said:

Professor Steve probably disagrees but I am not a fan of the electrol college. I wish we had a viable third party. The concept of having to compromise to govern might bring things back to the center instead of the polarized left and right. 

The problem with the popular vote is you might as well just have the largest 8-10 cities vote. The coasts especially the East Coast will decide what happens for the entire country. 

drkelsey55 and billikenfan05 like this

23 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The problem with the popular vote is you might as well just have the largest 8-10 cities vote. The coasts especially the East Coast will decide what happens for the entire country. 

Not to drive this into a political debate, but I can't let this one stand without some sort of answer. The majority is the majority no matter where they happen to reside. Is it right to discount what the majority wants just because of where they live?

I'm not a fan of the electoral college, but it doesn't have nearly the impact that gerrymandering does. You get rid of gerrymandering and you fix a majority of the problems we have with our electoral system in my mind.

27 minutes ago, hoppybeer said:

Not to drive this into a political debate, but I can't let this one stand without some sort of answer. The majority is the majority no matter where they happen to reside. Is it right to discount what the majority wants just because of where they live?

I'm not a fan of the electoral college, but it doesn't have nearly the impact that gerrymandering does. You get rid of gerrymandering and you fix a majority of the problems we have with our electoral system in my mind.

Bingo. "What's next? We're just going to let this be decided by what the majority of people want? Outrageous!"

Regarding gerrymandering, I live in Webster Groves. What I found very curious when looking at the 2nd Congressional district is the fact that the ENTIRE north portion of Webster Groves (traditionally African American) is cut out of the 2nd district and is instead part of the 1st Congressional district. 1st District, of course,  includes the city and North County. Coincidence?

Missouri US Congressional District 2 (since 2013).tif

My dear Lord, how long did it take you to figure this out? How long do you estimate this has been going on? Forever is a close approximation as far as can see. Very insightful on your part to bring this to our attention.

Let me give you another topic both of you should spend some time pondering about: Confusion between morality and effectiveness in office. Jimmy Carter was one of the most moral presidents in US history, he was also a ripping disaster as a president. JFK and Bill Clinton liked their nookie wherever they could get it, but this did not interfere with their actual achievements as presidents. Finally are you aware of this quote from LBJ: "When you got them by the balls, their hearts and minds shall follow." Did that make LBJ a bad president?, think about what he was able to achieve after JFK's assassination. Politics is dirty business, I agree.