BenFred: Ford's comparison for Gordon should make SLU fans sit up, take notice

Jamal Mashburn has his number hanging in the rafters for one of the most elite programs in hoops history and went on to a 13 year NBA career. That comparison is a lot to get excited about. 

Ford talking like that reminds me of ole "aw shucks" spoon who downplayed everything all the time, 

fan at a booster event "just how good is Larry Hughes?"

Spoon, who suddenly got serious, and had a stern look on his face, "larry hughes is without a doubt the greatest player i will ever coach.  he will do things next year as a freshman that will amaze you and make you think you are seeing the greatest billiken of all time"

gordon = mashburn?   wow.  

4 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

That was from June 19th

Oops, this is different than the lengthy piece that aired last night - pretty extensive interview with Gordon and comments from French.  I don't see a link to it on their site though.  Very towel-worthy.

25 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

-HIGH praise from CFord, gosh I hope CAG delivers on it, that would be great for him and us

-BenFred with two SLU articles in the last few days, very nice!

-fyi..Jamal Mashburn has a son that is pretty highly recruited

Does anyone know if Ford acted like this when he was an OK St? The way Ford is talking makes me want to start reserving rooms at the Final 4 site now.  The comments on Thatch were enlightening as well. 

I think that Ford's biggest responsibility this season is deciding who gets these minutes.  I don't want people shuffling in and out platoon style, but I also do not want CAG, Goodwin, and Bess playing 40 mins and having Jacobs and Thatch ride the pine. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-HIGH praise from CFord, gosh I hope CAG delivers on it, that would be great for him and us

-BenFred with two SLU articles in the last few days, very nice!

-fyi..Jamal Mashburn has a son that is pretty highly recruited

Has our beat writer gone on a month-long vacation, been reassigned, been fired or been placed in the witness protection program?

If this team is broke we're screwed. Probably looking at a 3-5 year period of treading water, where the team is unable to spend to the cap and really be aggressive and also too cowardly to try and rebuild. I see a lot of mediocre seasons and 15th overall picks in our future. Not a good recipe for success in this league.

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I'm also a Blues fan, what do you mean by this? a gratuitous shot?

A few of the Blues targets have come out and said they will not come to play in St. Louis or other "Midwest small markets." Tavares being the most recent. If you can't sign the big time players and draft in the middle of the rounds  you are in big trouble.

As for Gordon this is pretty awesome. With each day that passes and each article written I get more and more excited. 

Mashburn was a beast and fun to watch  even though I hated those KY teams. He was big time when I really started following college basketball.  If Gordon can come close to that this team will be amazing. 

I can't wait.

In general, if in all sports money no longer simply talks then all the leagues will be in the same place - players will want to only play on the coasts and Chicago (the coasts include Miami).  Those teams have the money and will be willing to match the smaller market teams offers.  Not much we can do about that mentality except to draft well and keep them home.