GDT? Did everyone go to olean?

Band Legend

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Billboy1 said:

No excuse for Adams having that many points. At half someone should have been assigned to be with him everywhere he went.  He made some shots but did not have pressure.  Let somebody else beat you.

-I listened to most of the game and I agree, when someone is that hot you have to change something and Rammer and Earl did not indicate we changed anything, they also said he was making shots from way beyond the 3pt line so defend him at half court, or perhaps we had no one that could

-I hope we can get a payback on Saturday against the good Dr and his club but first I hope the team can get home safely

1 minute ago, Billboy1 said:

No excuse for Adams having that many points. At half someone should have been assigned to be with him everywhere he went.  He made some shots but did not have pressure.  Let somebody else beat you.

Did you see the game? He was out of his mind. One of those was from well past 30 feet as the shot clock expired. Several more were heavily contested. It's one of the best college performances I've ever seen, and probably the best shooting performance. As soon as the ball went up, didn't matter where he was or the circumstances, it was going in and it was going to be a swish. Roby chased him out to 40 feet and fouled him. There was no need for that.

I still think this should have been a competitive game regardless of Adams' performance. We were our own worst enemy on the offensive end. It seemed like every time down the floor, we took horrible shots and attempted impossible passes. We had 9 turnovers at halftime and added 7 more after that, and it could've been worse. We only forced 4 (!) TOs at the other end. Roby and Hines were taking awful shots, JJ was off, and so was Bess. We outrebounded them by 16, which isn't unexpected. We just did everything else poorly.

When one guy is feeling it, you have to be sharp in your overall game. We were the opposite.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Did you see the game? He was out of his mind. One of those was from well past 30 feet as the shot clock expired. Several more were heavily contested. It's one of the best college performances I've ever seen, and probably the best shooting performance. As soon as the ball went up, didn't matter where he was or the circumstances, it was going in and it was going to be a swish. Roby chased him out to 40 feet and fouled him. There was no need for that.

Yep. Typically I get pissed when players go off.  Last night, was unbelievable and im pretty happy I got to watch it. 

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I still think this should have been a competitive game regardless of Adams' performance. We were our own worst enemy on the offensive end. It seemed like every time down the floor, we took horrible shots and attempted impossible passes. We had 9 turnovers at halftime and added 7 more after that, and it could've been worse. We only forced 4 (!) TOs at the other end. Roby and Hines were taking awful shots, JJ was off, and so was Bess. We outrebounded them by 16, which isn't unexpected. We just did everything else poorly.

When one guy is feeling it, you have to be sharp in your overall game. We were the opposite.

Yes I saw the game and he was unguarded on a lot of shots. Nobody should be able to score that many points, especially away from the basket.

Thanks Billiken fans for all of the accolades. You'll get to see the Bonnies on the last game of the year.

A special thanks goes out to your poster " white pelican ". An unconfirmed source has told me this comment was posted in the Bonnies locker room before the game "Should be plenty of welding shops in the Greater Olean Area where you can pick up a temporary replacement for Adams. " 

Wow jokes on you " pelican " looks like you got a welding rod shoved up your dupa! 

See you in March - go Billikens, beat Dayton

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yep. Typically I get pissed when players go off.  Last night, was unbelievable and im pretty happy I got to watch it. 

Ten years ago, some dude on Kent State lit us up for like 35 points and scored what felt like 99% of his team's second-half points.  That game always stood out as the best performance against the Bills in recent years, up until last night.

42 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Josh Fisher would not have stopped Adams last night.  The only other Billiken related performance that comes close to matching this was Bonner's 45/20 game v Loyola. 

11 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

Yes I saw the game and he was unguarded on a lot of shots. Nobody should be able to score that many points, especially away from the basket.

I mean, I guess we could've had Roby or Goodwin or someone else chase him out to 40 feet every time. I'm not sure what it does other than get our guards in foul trouble.

The answer wasn't running a gimmick defense on Adams. The answer was playing soundly at both ends, which we failed to do.

I don't remember who tried it, but someone ran a box and one against Curry back at Davidson, so McKillop basically used him as a decoy. He'd cross half court and stand by the sideline, completely removed from the game while a player kept him at arm's length. Meanwhile, the game was basically four on four and Davidson won by 20.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Josh Fisher would not have stopped Adams last night.  The only other Billiken related performance that comes close to matching this was Bonner's 45/20 game v Loyola. 

Funny you mention Fisher. I was trying to think of a comparison for Adams' game last night, and all I could come up with was Chris Thomas' 39-point performance for Notre Dame against SLU in the 2004 NIT in Fort Wayne. Fisher was all over him all night, but he was making circus shots. There was nothing he could do. Fisher is unquestionably one of the best, if not THE best, all-time defensive guards for SLU. Dwyane Wade's 3 (arguably 4) worst games of his college career all came against Fisher and SLU. He didn't take a night off against Thomas; Thomas just had one of those nights like Adams did last night. He went 12-20, 6-11 from 3, and 9-10 from the line. Thomas had other games where he'd go 4-20. He was streaky and selfish. We caught him on the wrong night.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I mean, I guess we could've had Roby or Goodwin or someone else chase him out to 40 feet every time. I'm not sure what it does other than get our guards in foul trouble.

The answer wasn't running a gimmick defense on Adams. The answer was playing soundly at both ends, which we failed to do.

I don't remember who tried it, but someone ran a box and one against Curry back at Davidson, so McKillop basically used him as a decoy. He'd cross half court and stand by the sideline, completely removed from the game while a player kept him at arm's length. Meanwhile, the game was basically four on four and Davidson won by 20.

Actually, it was worse than that.  It was sort of a triangle and two, and there were 2 guys shading Curry, not 1. Game became 4 on 3.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

1 minute ago, SShoe said:

Actually, it was worse than that.  It was sort of a triangle and two, and there were 2 guys shading Curry, not 1. Game became 4 on 3.

Found it: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/sports/ncaabasketball/27davidson.html

You're right, Loyola-Maryland held him scoreless with a triangle and two, and they lost by 30, not 20. This is a fun article as far as game recaps go, and I remember watching those "highlights", too.

By the way, Jaylen Adams better win A10 Player of the Week. Last week, he scored 40 against Duquesne (14-22, 8-13 from 3, 4-6 FT) and Mobley was named POW because he had 35 in their previous game and 19 in that one. Adams could put up a goose egg against Richmond Saturday and still deserve it. He broke career records for scoring and 3-pointers made in consecutive games. Just unreal. (Bonaventure has won 5 in a row and seems to finally be establishing itself as the second-best A10 team that most people thought it was heading into the season.)

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Found it: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/sports/ncaabasketball/27davidson.html

You're right, Loyola-Maryland held him scoreless with a triangle and two, and they lost by 30, not 20. This is a fun article as far as game recaps go, and I remember watching those "highlights", too.

Soderberg I also think tried the triangle and two against Adam Morrison (?).  It almost actually worked.

1 minute ago, SluSignGuy said:

Soderberg I also think tried the triangle and two against Adam Morrison (?).  It almost actually worked.

Yeah, December 2005, my first year out of SLU. Looking at the game recap, it does confirm that we ran a triangle-and-two against Morrison, who wound up with 18. We lost 60-57.

"Every time I drove, there were two guys looking at me and two guys on the help side," Morrison said. "You've got to tip your hat to their team to kind of slow me down, I guess you can say."

Liddell was one of them, his freshman year. Was Lisch the other one?

By the way, here's a money quote from Morrison: "The fans, I know they support Saint Louis, but the majority came to see us play," Morrison said. "I don't want to knock on their program or anything but we know every place we go people are going to be excited to play us."

Lisch missed a 3 that would've forced OT. Justin Johnson got a rare start and finished with 10 and 8, one of the only good games in his otherwise pointless career.

Other fun fact from the night: Remember the SLU student who threw one of the giveaway balls at Morrison when he was shooting FTs? That was my brother. He was slightly overserved, from what I'm told. I wasn't at this game. I think the ball grazed his leg, or came close.

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, December 2005, my first year out of SLU. Looking at the game recap, it does confirm that we ran a triangle-and-two against Morrison, who wound up with 18. We lost 60-57.

"Every time I drove, there were two guys looking at me and two guys on the help side," Morrison said. "You've got to tip your hat to their team to kind of slow me down, I guess you can say."

Liddell was one of them, his freshman year. Was Lisch the other one?

By the way, here's a money quote from Morrison: "The fans, I know they support Saint Louis, but the majority came to see us play," Morrison said. "I don't want to knock on their program or anything but we know every place we go people are going to be excited to play us."

Lisch missed a 3 that would've forced OT. Justin Johnson got a rare start and finished with 10 and 8, one of the only good games in his otherwise pointless career.

Other fun fact from the night: Remember the SLU student who threw one of the giveaway balls at Morrison when he was shooting FTs? That was my brother. He was slightly overserved, from what I'm told. I wasn't at this game. I think the ball grazed his leg, or came close.

There was another classic giveaway ball in Gonzaga lore, which was taken away by UCLA’s Jordan Farmar in 06, which caused Gus Johnson to spontaneously combust live on network television, ending one of the most epic comebacks in NCAA tournament history. 

209F5FBE-2CF0-40CF-8B5B-70023D06CC48.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

By the way, Jaylen Adams better win A10 Player of the Week. Last week, he scored 40 against Duquesne (14-22, 8-13 from 3, 4-6 FT) and Mobley was named POW because he had 35 in their previous game and 19 in that one. Adams could put up a goose egg against Richmond Saturday and still deserve it. He broke career records for scoring and 3-pointers made in consecutive games. Just unreal. (Bonaventure has won 5 in a row and seems to finally be establishing itself as the second-best A10 team that most people thought it was heading into the season.)

POY

1 hour ago, almaman said:

POY

He's somehow only 4th in scoring in the league. He did miss several games, so maybe it was a matter of getting back on track. If he keeps it up, he has to be POY.

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Like the Oregon game.

What upset me about Oregon game was that 12/13 Bills team was, I believe, maybe the best Billiken team since I followed the team, which goes back to the late 60s. Last AP and Coaches poll had them going into the tourney ranked 13th. That team had Final 8 potential and to have end in the 2nd round was heartbreaking. 

With S2, it maybe awhile till we see a team that loaded, with the perfect chemistry for a run, in a long time.

3 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

What upset me about Oregon game was that 12/13 Bills team was, I believe, maybe the best Billiken team since I followed the team, which goes back to the late 60s. Last AP and Coaches poll had them going into the tourney ranked 13th. That team had Final 8 potential and to have end in the 2nd round was heartbreaking. 

With S2, it maybe awhile till we see a team that loaded, with the perfect chemistry for a run, in a long time.

I think the 11/12 team was better with Conks and Kwamain.  They would have beaten Michigan State had it not been for corrupt officials babying Draymond Green and Izzo, and if Rob could've just hit one or two of those threes.  That 12/13 team did not have the toughness the 11/12 team did. 

brianstl likes this

13 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I think the 11/12 team was better with Conks and Kwamain.  They would have beaten Michigan State had it not been for corrupt officials babying Draymond Green and Izzo, and if Rob could've just hit one or two of those threes.  That 12/13 team did not have the toughness the 11/12 team did. 

That team got the worst f'ing draw.  At worst SLU should have been a 5 seed that tournament.