Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

2 minutes ago, slusam said:

I just talked to someone from Matt's office.  They are in touch with the player's attorney to see if they can help out. He did say the farther you are in the process the harder it gets to fix. The only option becomes to sue and this becomes very expensive very fast.

He also said Catholic schools are the toughest to deal with.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, slusam said:

I just talked to someone from Matt's office.  They are in touch with the player's attorney to see if they can help out. He did say the farther you are in the process the harder it gets to fix. The only option becomes to sue and this becomes very expensive very fast.

Who didn't see that coming. Thanks for your proactive move. I don't live in St Louis and don't have the lay of the land as to the attorneys or player contacts.

4 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

That is a very different situation.  MSU is being accused of using their influence over the Title IX office to protect Larry Nassar who had been accused of sexual assualt by 190 women and is about to go to prison for it.

This situation in particular is exactly why Dr. P and the BoT won’t touch S2.  The last thing they want is to be seen using their influence to protect the accused.  No matter what justice really should look like.

majerus mojo likes this

6 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

BenFred touched on it during his chat I guess and it's featured in the top 10.  Glad to see he is asking a lot of the same questions we are.  It's question 5.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/questions-benfred-on-stl-sports/collection_1df1cc15-e1dc-58e1-aaac-4b0b8e5f2013.html

And reached the same conclusion, it's a mess.

1 hour ago, TheOne said:

That’s proposterius. It is not a “deal”. It is a one-time, permanent donation to the naming rights. Doc C is a smart guy - he wouldn’t be a billionaire otherwise - you think he would make a $12m donation that would “expire”? 

My understanding was that the donation for the naming rights was spread over a number of years, so a defined amount each year coming to $12 million at the end of that term, but it was not $12 million from day #1.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Don't know if it's true but someone told me the good Doc's deal with the university is up after this year. I do believe his commitment was not a one time up front contribution. I do believe his influence is overstated by this board. I certainly hope he stays involved. 

-by "deal" do you mean his term on the BoT? or what?

19 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

My understanding was that the donation for the naming rights was spread over a number of years, so a defined amount each year coming to $12 million at the end of that term, but it was not $12 million from day #1.

I had heard it was $12mm at $1mm per year. The arena was built in what, 2007-08? If so, it would make sense that his initial promise is nearly satisfied. If he wants to have continued influence that he has experienced the last 10 years, I suspect SLU will ask for additional funds going forward. Maybe they already have, I have no idea.

Just now, kshoe said:

I had heard it was $12mm at $1mm per year. The arena was built in what, 2007-08? If so, it would make sense that his initial promise is nearly satisfied. If he wants to have continued influence that he has experienced the last 10 years, I suspect SLU will ask for additional funds going forward. Maybe they already have, I have no idea.

Regarding the $1 million per, that is consistent with what I had heard.

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

His name is on the arena that the basketball team plays in AND is the most popular touch point for everyone in the community who comes for concerts, shows, etc. His opinion matters and the school knows if they ever want another dollar from him they cannot piss him off.

8 minutes ago, TheOne said:

His name is on the arena that the basketball team plays in AND is the most popular touch point for everyone in the community who comes for concerts, shows, etc. His opinion matters and the school knows if they ever want another dollar from him they cannot piss him off.

Of course. Oddly his influence will possibly be at its highest in this period where they no longer have his gift locked in for years to come and are trying to woo additional gifts from him.

54 minutes ago, slusam said:

He also said Catholic schools are the toughest to deal with.

Ugh. I hope that Rosenblum took this case because he either has experience in Education/Title IX law or brought someone in with that experience to help from the get go.  It is different from criminal law.  Kind of like a heart surgeon doing a knee replacement.

Maybe the two girls who decided not to participate in the investigation (if factual) would participate in the appeal. I can’t imagine that anyone would want to ruin the future of four people with false accusations.  I can’t believe that they would be okay with the recommended/handed out punishments.  I’ll pray that their voices are now heard as they tell the truth.   I also hope that the players and their families know that the majority of people are on the side of the truth coming out for their sons’ sake. It isn’t about playing basketball. It is about the truth and how the miscarriage of justice is hurting their sons.  If I knew the girls I would certainly be recommending they reach out to the “powers that be” to tell the truth. The fate of these young men will weigh heavy on their minds (or at least I would think so if they have a conscience) the rest of their lives if they standby and watch four lives distroyed.  

billikenfan05 and GoBills73 like this

23 minutes ago, Billy bob said:

Maybe the two girls who decided not to participate in the investigation (if factual) would participate in the appeal. I can’t imagine that anyone would want to ruin the future of four people with false accusations.  I can’t believe that they would be okay with the recommended/handed out punishments.  I’ll pray that their voices are now heard as they tell the truth.   I also hope that the players and their families know that the majority of people are on the side of the truth coming out for their sons’ sake. It isn’t about playing basketball. It is about the truth and how the miscarriage of justice is hurting their sons.  If I knew the girls I would certainly be recommending they reach out to the “powers that be” to tell the truth. The fate of these young men will weigh heavy on their minds (or at least I would think so if they have a conscience) the rest of their lives if they standby and watch four lives distroyed.  

Even if they ended up trying to help the players out by providing an account of events that supports the players, it's likely they would still get railroaded regardless. Kratky might just argue that the girls "don't know what they are talking about" because they are too "traumatized":

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-matt-boermeester-removed-unfairly-girlfriend-says-20170730-story,amp.html

7 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Even if they ended up trying to help the players out by providing an account of events that supports the players, it's likely they would still get railroaded regardless. Kratky might just argue that the girls "don't know what they are talking about" because they are too "traumatized":

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-matt-boermeester-removed-unfairly-girlfriend-says-20170730-story,amp.html

The wildest of title ix mishaps.

Horrible. Lives forever tainted.  Makes me sad 

30 minutes ago, Billy bob said:

Maybe the two girls who decided not to participate in the investigation (if factual) would participate in the appeal. I can’t imagine that anyone would want to ruin the future of four people with false accusations.  I can’t believe that they would be okay with the recommended/handed out punishments.  I’ll pray that their voices are now heard as they tell the truth.   I also hope that the players and their families know that the majority of people are on the side of the truth coming out for their sons’ sake. It isn’t about playing basketball. It is about the truth and how the miscarriage of justice is hurting their sons.  If I knew the girls I would certainly be recommending they reach out to the “powers that be” to tell the truth. The fate of these young men will weigh heavy on their minds (or at least I would think so if they have a conscience) the rest of their lives if they standby and watch four lives destroyed.  

Man, how did you get inside of my thoughts?!

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

So was this tweet a big f.uc.k up by the athletic department or were they as blindsided as the rest of us by Weathers' decision? 

Blindsided is my guess based on the few conversations I've had with folks in the department.

11 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

So was this tweet a big f.uc.k up by the athletic department or were they as blindsided as the rest of us by Weathers' decision? 

Well according to the post with the info from Ty Graves dad on January 7th, they just moved back onto campus housing.  This was January 11th.  Seems to me a lot of people thought it was going to be no big punishment and were blindsided by the ruling by Weathers.  

11 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Blindsided is my guess based on the few conversations I've had with folks in the department.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I mean, the tweet still exists. Clearly someone doesn't see it as a mistake.

5 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Well according to the post with the info from Ty Graves dad on January 7th, they just moved back onto campus housing.  This was January 11th.  Seems to me a lot of people thought it was going to be no big punishment and were blindsided by the ruling by Weathers.  

All of this makes me think that the report was pretty good for the players and the 3rd party investigators recommendation was light. So I wonder if that helps with an appeal or does that fall under the grounds of "dissatisfaction with the punishment"

I think this lends to the theory that Weathers either went rogue with a harsh punishment (perceived biases could come into play) or that SLU purposely appointed Weathers as the hearing officer knowing that they would get a harsh punishment.