Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, slusam said:

Thatch had 12 points, 22 rebounds, and 6 assists in their win against St Marys

In a 76-50 win, no less. This result was surprising to me, after watching St. Mary's pick apart Vashon a few nights earlier. Sikeston will have Grandview (26-3) in the semifinals on Friday. Grandview is good but Sikeston has probably played a stronger schedule. Hoping for a Sikeston-Jennings final.

22 rebounds in a HS game, man. They make him the focal point of their defensive scheme, so he just grabs every damn rebound and leads the transition game. He's so locked in right now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

In a 76-50 win, no less. This result was surprising to me, after watching St. Mary's pick apart Vashon a few nights earlier. Sikeston will have Grandview (26-3) in the semifinals on Friday. Grandview is good but Sikeston has probably played a stronger schedule. Hoping for a Sikeston-Jennings final.

22 rebounds in a HS game, man. They make him the focal point of their defensive scheme, so he just grabs every damn rebound and leads the transition game. He's so locked in right now.

The most amazing thing about those 22 boards is they came against St. Marys.  They aren't tall, but they are athletic and normally don't have someone completely dominate them on the boards.  Rasas and Burks, especially, do a good job of hitting the boards.  Rebounding machine Jamar Williams had 18 against them, but he had 14 again Webster Groves too.  

Demarius Jacobs' Hillcrest team lost in the quarterfinals of The Grind Session National Championships. He had 15 points and 4 rebounds in their final game but also appeared to be hurt late in the game. No word on severity, but I don't think it was anything too serious.

https://twitter.com/W2WSportsBlog/status/972552362278686720

(Hasahn responded with "Facts" after that last one.)

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

Demarius Jacobs' Hillcrest team lost in the quarterfinals of The Grind Session National Championships. He had 15 points and 4 rebounds in their final game but also appeared to be hurt late in the game. No word on severity, but I don't think it was anything too serious.

https://twitter.com/W2WSportsBlog/status/972552362278686720

(Hasahn responded with "Facts" after that last one.)

Love it that HF is in contact with our incoming recruits!  From what I see in the clips, Jacobs might be a nice sidekick - 2 Guard - for JG, maybe even relieving him at the point when JG needs a break.

It seems that all of our 2018 recruits are having a he!! of a senior year.  The only minor concern I have is that at least 6 of our outstanding players will be FR or Soph's and one of our 2 Juniors will have never played for us.  It might take awhile to mesh but I think the total talent on the team is better than it would have been last year, even if all were available.  In effect, I'm saying that I see the addition of CAG, LS, FT, MP and DJ as superior to the addition of AD, Bishop and Graves.

SShoe likes this

9 hours ago, bauman said:

Love it that HF is in contact with our incoming recruits!  From what I see in the clips, Jacobs might be a nice sidekick - 2 Guard - for JG, maybe even relieving him at the point when JG needs a break.

It seems that all of our 2018 recruits are having a he!! of a senior year.  The only minor concern I have is that at least 6 of our outstanding players will be FR or Soph's and one of our 2 Juniors will have never played for us.  It might take awhile to mesh but I think the total talent on the team is better than it would have been last year, even if all were available.  In effect, I'm saying that I see the addition of CAG, LS, FT, MP and DJ as superior to the addition of AD, Bishop and Graves.

That's one of the important downsides of S2, that instead of having a bunch of new players learn how to play together this season, they have to do it next season. The talent level won't be much different and could actually be stronger overall, but about half the roster will be new players.

10 hours ago, bauman said:

That conversation actually started with Hasahn's posting a birthday gratitude tweet and Demarius responded with a happy birthday tweet, and they went back and forth.

(Click the blue birdie or the date to see the entire exchange.)

As a nitpick, could we not make a habit of rendering CarteAre Gordon's initials as "CAG"?  His first name is CarteAre; it begins with a "C."  His initials are "CG."

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That's one of the important downsides of S2, that instead of having a bunch of new players learn how to play together this season, they have to do it next season. The talent level won't be much different and could actually be stronger overall, but about half the roster will be new players.

The trend for coach Ford's SLU's teams is to mesh by mid January and that is what I expect next season and I believe they will have a nice A10 run.

I think there will be a dreadful loss or two in the non-conference but those close games like OSU we will win because we will have a good bench.

45 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That conversation actually started with Hasahn's posting a birthday gratitude tweet and Demarius responded with a happy birthday tweet, and they went back and forth.

As a nitpick, could we not make a habit of rendering CarteAre Gordon's initials as "CAG"?  His first name is CarteAre; it begins with a "C."  His initials are "CG."

-THicks, as you spelled it, he has three capital letters, CAG seems to make sense

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

or how about we just call him "gordon" or "Carteare" or "Carteare gordon"

Zink likes this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

The trend for coach Ford's SLU's teams is to mesh by mid January and that is what I expect next season and I believe they will have a nice A10 run.

I think there will be a dreadful loss or two in the non-conference but those close games like OSU we will win because we will have a good bench.

No! The days of dreadful losses, eg Mercy Me, are over! The game I'm looking forward to is Butler at the Fetz. That will be good measuring stick to see where we are. Also, Houston there will be a telling game as well.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Well this year almost all the starters were new except for JJ who was displaced by Foreman eventually and DR.  Next year we will have Bess and Foreman along with Goodwin, HF and JJ playing who can lead the new guys that is very different than what we had starting this year.  I think this team could easily jell much quicker.

49 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No! The days of dreadful losses, eg Mercy Me, are over! The game I'm looking forward to is Butler at the Fetz. That will be good measuring stick to see where we are. Also, Houston there will be a telling game as well.

Even coach Majerus had his dreadful loss but I like your idea of no more dreadful losses. I agree with the two teams you mentioned and would like to add St. Mary’s and Seton Hall to our schedule.

Just now, slu72 said:

Is that a wish list or has that been announced? Would love those two.

Just wishing but I think both schools would be willing to play us a home and home.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Every capital letter isn't an initial letter.  "CAG" would make sense (to me) only if his first name were "Carte" and his middle name were "Are."  That's not the case.

CAG also stands for "commander air group"   I think that makes it perfect for CareAre!

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Well this year almost all the starters were new except for JJ who was displaced by Foreman eventually and DR.  Next year we will have Bess and Foreman along with Goodwin, HF and JJ playing who can lead the new guys that is very different than what we had starting this year.  I think this team could easily jell much quicker.

Coming into this season, we would've had 7 new guys learning to play together and with the existing players - Goodwin, French, Foreman, Bess, Henriquez, Graves, and Anthony. Next season, instead of having those 6 (Anthony graduating) plus Johnson, Bishop, and a year of Santos in practice with only 3 new guys (the original 3 freshmen), we will possibly have another 7 new guys - now we're at 4 freshmen, plus up to 3 scholarships yet to be accounted for.

I agree that returning most of a starting 5 who know how to play together helps, but the overall roster is seeing another year of turnover that it otherwise wouldn't have had, which delays progress - even if just for a little bit.

The Butler and Houston games will be different next year.  No more getting blown out by Butler.  They lose their best player and we have them here this year.  At Houston might be difficult as a road game, but they also lose their best player, that little man-bun hot dog Gray.  Everytime someone got within a foot of him I remember him throwing his head back like he had been shot.

Anyway , I see both games as winnable next year.  I can't remember if the Oregon St. game was a home and home deal or just for last year but if they come here next year it should be a win-they did not make the Tournament this year so they can't be too good.

I like the idea of a home and home with C of C.  A great location.  How about DePaul or Marquette?  It would be nice to have a Big East team, closer to St. Louis, to replace Providence on the schedule and another NCAA-quality team to replace VT would also be nice.

Finally, I hope we start the first 2 weeks of the season with some top100-125 teams to ease the new guys in, while at the same time not killing our SOS.