Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

@Coach314, any updates on the Russell situation? When Frank had Coach Tate on his show this week, they acted like a new player will be joining the team soon for next season. I assume they were referring to Phil, but they didn’t say who since it’s not official yet.

No update as of yet.  I was pretty much told that they were working towards adding Phil to the roster.  

SLURadioBoy likes this

On 7/17/2020 at 7:20 PM, Coach314 said:

No update as of yet.  I was pretty much told that they were working towards adding Phil to the roster.  

https://apple.news/AyEE_ObnNTuurDB24dBLf4Q

This might explain it.

Newly enrolled international students whose colleges and universities are operating entirely online this fall won't be allowed to enter the U.S. after all.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirmed on Friday that its guidance granting visa flexibility to nonimmigrant students only applies to those who were actively enrolled at American schools on March 9.

"Nonimmigrant students in new or initial status after March 9 will not be able to enter the U.S. to enroll in a U.S. school as a nonimmigrant student for the fall term to pursue a full course of study that is 100 percent online," the agency said.

It told designated school officials not to issue a Form I-20 to an international student in new or initial status who is outside of the U.S. and plans to take classes fully online. (Nonimmigrant students need a Form I-20, or certificate of eligibility, to apply for a student visa, apply for benefits and enter the country.)

In an FAQ document last updated on July 15, ICE said that newly enrolled international students who are already in the U.S. can stay in the country. It also suggests deferment as an alternative for new students whose schools are modifying operations because of the coronavirus pandemic.

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

But Lorinnsen’s good to go, since he was in a US college last year? Is he on campus? 

Lorentsson was not in a US school last year.  His team toured the US for a few weeks, but he was not registered or going to a US school.

1 hour ago, slu72 fan said:

I thought SLU was not online only. 

https://slu.edu/back-to-slu/academic-decisions/index.php

As of right now, SLU is NOT going online only. That, obviously, is subject to change, but should not be effecting Lorentsson currently.

I know it’s late guys, but I just saw on his Instagram, Phil Russell will be making his decision on August 10th. I have no idea what that means for SLU. Just posting what I saw on his Instagram.

Pistol likes this

7 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I know it’s late guys, but I just saw on his Instagram, Phil Russell will be making his decision on August 10th. I have no idea what that means for SLU. Just posting what I saw on his Instagram.

I have to imagine the renewed Russell talk was due to uncertainty regarding the status of our two euros. Now that it appears both will be on campus, I’d imagine we don’t have much shot at Russell. Unless there’s some route for him to be a preferred walk on. 

21 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I have to imagine the renewed Russell talk was due to uncertainty regarding the status of our two euros. Now that it appears both will be on campus, I’d imagine we don’t have much shot at Russell. Unless there’s some route for him to be a preferred walk on. 

With the hints Frank and Coach Tate were making on the radio about a 13th player possibly joining the roster, I really wonder if Phillip is coming on as a preferred walk on. I noticed Michael Wilson liked his tweet about August 10.

NextYearBill likes this

2 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

With the hints Frank and Coach Tate were making on the radio about a 13th player possibly joining the roster, I really wonder if Phillip is coming on as a preferred walk on. I noticed Michael Wilson liked his tweet about August 10.

I thought that was the current assumption, be nice to have a walk-on of that caliber.

31 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I thought that was the current assumption, be nice to have a walk-on of that caliber.

i think we have sufficient guards to cover the less than 10 minutes that collins isnt on the floor in most every game.   i would prefer to wait for a future recruit.   

AGB91 likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think we have sufficient guards to cover the less than 10 minutes that collins isnt on the floor in most every game.   i would prefer to wait for a future recruit.   

If he’s walking on, I think it’s an awesome pickup. But if he’s taking a scholarship, there’s a domino effect to what that means for this team. If we’re assuming that he will have to walk on to play for the Billikens, you’re not gonna find many more talented walk ons than Phil Russell.

15 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Both of these posts are equally stupid.  The virus doesn't give a sh*t what the event is or what the politics involved are.  If people are in close contact with an infected or sharing the same indoor space it will likely spread.

Pointing out times that someone who disagrees with your own political views has potentially contributed to the virus spread as a way to justify your own contributions to the virus spread or just to be a smart @ss is insane.  Everyone should be doing their part to stop the virus from spreading not trying to justify their actions.  Smart @ss comments aren't helpful and won't help this Billiken basketball season actually occur. 

WE ARE VERY LIKELY GOING TO MISS OUT ON POTENTIALLY THE BEST BILLIKEN TEAM OF OUR LIFETIMES BECAUSE OF THIS SH*T.  That absolutely kills me.

We should be focused on humanity versus COVID.  Not left vs right.  Please listen to scientific evidence about how to slow the spread.

If you think COVID isn't very serious or a hoax or it will all go away after the election, ask yourself why TF other countries are taking it just as seriously or usually more seriously than the US.

If you're skeptical about masks, maybe just wear a mask to help the economy - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wearing-a-mask-to-halt-the-spread-of-coronavirus-has-a-big-impact-on-us-economic-growthand-goldman-has-done-the-math-2020-06-30

Sorry for the rant.  I'm really bummed that this season isn't going to happen.

Agree with almost all you said. Hopefully your last line will prove to be false, but it’s not looking too hopeful. 

41 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It's not disingenuous. Your own account says encouraged in the Chamber, it clearly wasn't also required in the hallways. "Most members"?  It was required for everyone else. I wasn't debating whether she did more than Trump nor did I state she did or didn't. I clearly said I also thought Trump should have done more. Nancy Pelosi among many others from both parties is a huge part of what is wrong with our government. 

You said, "Doesn't seem she or the other members of the House felt wearing a mask was important until just a couple of days ago."

She had clearly felt it was important enough to do so herself and also put some level of policy in place to get others to do the same, several months ago. For most, that was sufficient. Recently, she decided to up that to a full blown requirement due to the discourtesy (and also illness) of several members. She has taken it seriously for quite some time and then chose to take it even more seriously in response to recent events.

I just don't see how one can argue that Pelosi hasn't "set an example" in the positive as far as mask wearing is concerned.

Also, the DC order doesn't apply to Federal properties, so I'm not sure what the argument is there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting a reminder, Phil Russell said he’s committing tomorrow. Not sure if that’s still the case or not, but could be a pretty interesting day.

14 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Just posting a reminder, Phil Russell said he’s committing tomorrow. Not sure if that’s still the case or not, but could be a pretty interesting day.

Clarification: committing in general. Not necessarily committing to SLU. 

13 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I've been waiting for something allllll day.. Even turned on tweet notifications for his Twitter.

I only follow his Instagram. Nothing yet.

17 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

It’s got to be prep school, right? Another Donte Houston situation.

Unless he’s gonna walk on with SLU. It’s a possibility. All kinds of ways to find financial aid. Not saying it’s gonna happen, but it’s possible.