Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

About time. Do they pony up for Crean?

I wonder what the terms of Crean's buyout are...does he have any sort of duty to find another job or actively seek another job to offset the buyout, or did they hand him $4,000,000 in a TFord Money Sack ® and say happy trails? Maybe he takes a year off, spends the year recruiting casually, and looks for a nice landing spot next year? 

When I read about JTIII being let go and that the candidate with Georgetown connections was Patrick Ewing, the Hornets assistant, I assumed it was his son, Patrick Ewing Jr, who started at Indiana, but later transferred to Georgetown. As it turns out, it's Patrick Ewing the Hall of Famer that is an NBA assistant. Interesting.

Also in coaching search news: Duquesne coaching search...not doing well. King Rice turned it down earlier this week, and now today, a mere hour or two after reports suggested that Michigan State assistant Dane Fife was in deep discussions for that job, reports came out saying that he dropped out of consideration. Too bad for them, because I think that would have been a great hire.

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

When I read about JTIII being let go and that the candidate with Georgetown connections was Patrick Ewing, the Hornets assistant, I assumed it was his son, Patrick Ewing Jr, who started at Indiana, but later transferred to Georgetown. As it turns out, it's Patrick Ewing the Hall of Famer that is an NBA assistant. Interesting.

Also in coaching search news: Duquesne coaching search...not doing well. King Rice turned it down earlier this week, and now today, a mere hour or two after reports suggested that Michigan State assistant Dane Fife was in deep discussions for that job, reports came out saying that he dropped out of consideration. Too bad for them, because I think that would have been a great hire.

Not to be a dick - but going to Duqesne seems like a great move to kill a coaching career. 

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Not to be a dick - but going to Duqesne seems like a great move to kill a coaching career. 

The Duquesne and Drake coaching searches are going head to head for biggest flops of the carousel so far. 

Where does Georgetown fit into the echelon of top jobs? Is it a top 25 job in the country? Top 10? 

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I don't disagree with this, but I suppose it's possible that the right coach could make them into a competitive team.

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Where does Georgetown fit into the echelon of top jobs? Is it a top 25 job in the country? Top 10? 

It's a good job. Whether it's a top 25 job depends on how much value you give to being a major state university. If you think that beats a historically successful private school, then Georgetown isn't top 25. Otherwise, I think it could be a top 25 job.

The concern I'd have is that the coach has been someone named John Thompson for most of the last 35-40 years. How does someone without that name get treated there? By the way, I saw a tweet about this: who had to tell John Thompson II the news? JTII ranks very high on the list of people in college basketball I wouldn't want to make angry.

Georgetown seems like a great move for Crean, somewhat lateral from B10 to BEast and the recruiting in the DC area is supposed to be the best in the country. Crean showed he can turnaround Indiana relatively quickly early on but students today protested the Georgetown coach on campus which might have sped things up, so I think they might want a coach who moves up instead of the same. 

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Georgetown seems like a great move for Crean, somewhat lateral from B10 to BEast and the recruiting in the DC area is supposed to be the best in the country. Crean showed he can turnaround Indiana relatively quickly early on but students today protested the Georgetown coach on campus which might have sped things up, so I think they might want a coach who moves up instead of the same. 

Except will Georgetown accept a "retread" who was just fired? 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Except will Georgetown accept a "retread" who was just fired? 

I trying to think of a coach who was fired because of won/loss expectations and successful at the next school. I am drawing a blank.

Now the coaching ranks are full coaches that were fired because off-the-court reasons. Knight at TX Tech, Sutton at OK State, even Sampson is not doing a bad job resurrecting Houston, etc..

Hope TF breaks that mold. .

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I trying to think of a coach who was fired because of won/loss expectations and successful at the next school. I am drawing a blank.

Now the coaching ranks are full coaches that were fired because off-the-court reasons. Knight at TX Tech, Sutton at OK State, even Sampson is not doing a bad job resurrecting Houston, etc..

Bruce Weber was fired from Illinois and is doing a decent job at Kansas State.  But he inherited a successful program from Frank Martin.  You're right, it is rare.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bruce Weber was fired from Illinois and is doing a decent job at Kansas State.  But he inherited a successful program from Frank Martin.  You're right, it is rare.

Thanks 3star. Forgot about Weber and he's been at K State long enough so it was more then a Majerus/Crews effect.

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Greg McDermott

33 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Porter Sr accepts position at Mizzoy

It's been a done deal that the Porter boys will be at mizzou for about a week now. They are just playing it out for drama and to make it look like it wasn't prearranged at this point.

3 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Johnny Dawkins - his team is doing very will in the NIT.  Steve Alford comes to mind also.

Hope Patrick Ewing gets the Georgetown job.  He's put in work as an NBA assistant and has interviewed for HC jobs dozens of times.  No owner will hire him, really because of his playing career and his involvement in the player's union.

8 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Johnny Dawkins - his team is doing very will in the NIT.  Steve Alford comes to mind also.

Was Alford fired at Iowa or did he just resign and quickly moved on to New Mexico?

Your correct on Johnny Dawkins. Stanford to UCF

For McDermott, I always thought that was a Creighton gimmick to get his kid when it first happened. It worked out well for Creighton.