Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you saying they paid the family money to get him, you know nothing about the family.

Family lived in Columbia their whole lives before they moved to Seattle last year, MP sr was the assistant coach for 6 years on the women's team, and his 2 sister sister play for Mizzou. 

Connect the dots

21 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

For those of you saying they paid the family money to get him, you know nothing about the family.

Family lived in Columbia their whole lives before they moved to Seattle last year, MP sr was the assistant coach for 6 years on the women's team, and his 2 sister sister play for Mizzou. 

Connect the dots

I'm connecting the dots and now realize they paid the family more money than I originally thought 

49 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Connect the dots

I think by "paying the family to get him", they meant that they gave the father a job. I'm sure that Porters are a great family, and haven't heard anything to the contrary, but ask yourself this question: if he didn't have incredibly talented sons, would MP Sr have the job prospects he's had the last 2 years? How many coaches do you see switching from coaching women's basketball to mens?

For the record, I'm not knocking it. If hiring Justin Tatum onto the staff would've gotten Jayson in Billiken blue, I'd have encouraged it. Let's just not pretend that MP Sr's greatest skill set as a coach isn't the talent of his offspring.

37 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Connect the dots

Whole lives? Daddy moved there to be an assistant on his sister in law's staff. 

11 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I think by "paying the family to get him", they meant that they gave the father a job. I'm sure that Porters are a great family, and haven't heard anything to the contrary, but ask yourself this question: if he didn't have incredibly talented sons, would MP Sr have the job prospects he's had the last 2 years? How many coaches do you see switching from coaching women's basketball to mens?

For the record, I'm not knocking it. If hiring Justin Tatum onto the staff would've gotten Jayson in Billiken blue, I'd have encouraged it. Let's just not pretend that MP Sr's greatest skill set as a coach is the talent of his offspring.

Not just switching from men's to women's but from the contract, making 100k more than the other men's coaches at the school, plus 5k a month for rent and 15k a year for family to travel.  And at least with Tatum we know he would be known and respected around St. Louis.  Was Porter Sr known and respected around Washington? Is he around St. Louis or is it just Columbia?  

Agree in that I'm not knocking it but you can't ignore certain facts about it.  

45 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Connect the dots

The school is paying for him to coach.... Are you dumb? You can't pay the player but go ahead and pay his family. Not saying I would be mad at SLU if they pulled it either. Just seems off.

54 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Connect the dots

I'm a conspiracy guy not a big connect the dots guy

On 3/7/2017 at 7:36 PM, For-DaLove said:

In reality it would only be the class of 2017 and the transfers. The 2018 commits could definitely follow him and Tate elsewhere.

That being said, it isn't happening.

Hiring a relative as an assistant coach doesn't bother me as much as hiring a relative for some bogus staff position like director of towels or head manager of classroom book rentals.  Pitino and Calipari both have done that.   Or coach k getting a parent a job at twice the normal pay at some neighborhood booster's business.   If they make someone an actual assistant, if they aren't a legit coach now you have limited your actual coaching staff for recruiting and actual coaching.   In the long run you probably hurt your program more than help it.

BTW, Justin tatum would have been a legitimate coaching hire.  God knows he would have been more effective than platt

2 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I heard Cuonzo Martin was Mike Porter Sr were in each others weddings.  I don't know how reliable the info is, but if true they've known each other for years and it's not just about a payday because Jr will be a multi millionaire in 15 months

I doubt if that's true. Jr. said he had never heard of Cuonzo until he took the Mizzou job.

It was in one of Matters early stories that nobody from the porter family had ever met martin.  

Now we have the total "blue chips" scenario, mizzou is so desperate for being relevant again they are going to cut corners and add one and dones from connected people, hiring parents of coaches who may or may not be qualified.. This is accepted practice for blue bloods, mizzou not so much...

over or under till mizzou gets it's nuts chopped off at the alter of Kentucky, KU and Duke...

If Tilmon shows up, someone got a deal, and the NCAA will not be far behind...

I think Gordon is safe in relation to porter. They won't be playing together, porter and Tatum and Simmons are all non program transforming players- but immediate impact. If they aren't built upon in recruiting they just become ghosts to a program. LSU didn't and nothing changed. One man army's can't win games. Gordon might be a one and done too so be ready, luckily we should dominate in 2018-19. Porter just gives hope.

If Tilmon comes next season would be great for them, but in the SEC they won't be outstanding since other programs have the same thing over. Year after that wil be hard for them once their stars are gone. No way they get 2 more top ten recruits the year after that. 

8 minutes ago, keyser soze said:

Porter and Romar have the wedding connections, Martin never met the porters till he became mizzous coach..

Hell, Romar is Jr.'s godfather.  Romar brought his dad in a year before his son and gave him a great salary.  None of that mattered to the Porters when a more lucrative offer came along.  They bailed on Jr.'s godfather and got him fired.

That is one great Christian family.