Coaching movement that might affect SLU

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Was Alford fired at Iowa or did he just resign and quickly moved on to New Mexico?

Your correct on Johnny Dawkins. Stanford to UCF

For McDermott, I always thought that was a Creighton gimmick to get his kid when it first happened. It worked out well for Creighton.  

Doug was not a big recruit. I highly doubt Creighton hired a coach to get his 3 star son.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alford was on his way to the hot seat before he resigned but I don't think he was going to be fired.  The turning point of his tenure was when he defended Pierre Pierce, who was charged with sexual assault and forced to sit out a year after pleading to a lesser charge.  Pierce came back to the team and was arrested the next year for assaulting a former girlfriend.  I think Iowa fans could have lived with making the NCAAs 2 out of every 5 years.  But not if the cost was supporting a coach who tarnishes the school's image by taking sides in a sexual assault case.

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

Hope Patrick Ewing gets the Georgetown job.  He's put in work as an NBA assistant and has interviewed for HC jobs dozens of times.  No owner will hire him, really because of his playing career and his involvement in the player's union.

It'd be a continuation of the Thompson legacy, so it's a matter of whether the school wants to continue that, or do something new.

How about Shaka Smart? He's already on a hot seat at Texas and I think the buyout is negligible, from what I've read.

Some have also mentioned Tommy Amaker.

Shaka is a big name out east here for G-town.  Has the same style that originally made G-town famous an dis a break from Thompson lineage.  Another name being floated is Danny Hurely, who needs no introduction at all.  Hurley supposedly well tuned in to private, Catholic school routine per the pundits. 

Anybody else hearing Chris Mack to Indiana?  I heard choices are 1) Alford, 2) Billy Donovan and 3)Brad Stevens but 2 and 3 would have to bail on their NBA teams now and not likely.  Mack to Indian would open up Xavier -- to former assistant Kelsey.

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Was Alford fired at Iowa or did he just resign and quickly moved on to New Mexico?

For McDermott, I always thought that was a Creighton gimmick to get his kid when it first happened. It worked out well for Creighton.  

Alford left Iowa because they were going to fire him if not that year certainly the next.  Nobody leaves Iowa to go to New Mexico of their own volition.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Anybody else hearing Chris Mack to Indiana?  I heard choices are 1) Alford, 2) Billy Donovan and 3)Brad Stevens but 2 and 3 would have to bail on their NBA teams now and not likely.  Mack to Indian would open up Xavier -- to former assistant Kelsey.

Per the Indy Star, the six candidates are, in alpha order, are Alford, Bennett, Donovan, Dane Fife, Holtmann, and A. Miller.  Fife played for the Hoosiers, was the head HC at IU-Ft. Wayne, and now Assist under Izzo.

Shaka isn't on the hot seat.  He had one bad season due to no PG and very young team.  He exceeded expectations in his first season.

Has a commit from a 4star top ten PG Matt Coleman and is in on Mohammed Bomba the #1 recruit in the country.   I think he's fine and hear no hot seat rumblings.  Although I wonder if he'd bolt for GTown?  Basketball School might be attractive.

Just now, hsmith19 said:

Well, we were just wondering how this year's SLU team would have done with Tatum. Seeing Porter with Mizzou for one year should be a pretty similar scenario, unless other dominoes fall.

I'm pretty sure I made a comment about that a few days ago where people went off about the history of slu 

Just now, STL Hoops Insider said:

What level of success would they have to have next season for  you to say they don't suck?

They would have to win 3 national championships in men's basketball next year and make a deep run in the NBA playoffs for me to say they don't suck. Thank you for asking. 

10 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I'm pretty sure I made a comment about that a few days ago where people went off about the history of slu 

Hint: people will give you $hit a lot less if you quit posting about how often you are right.  Which so far, has been about twice.

11 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

If I recall, you assumed that other dominoes would've fallen if Tatum had come to SLU. The response was that Hughes choosing SLU knocked a few dominoes over but they didn't translate to much success after he left. 

10 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said: