Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

52 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, @TheOne .  You have shown to be quite credible, and we all appreciate your updates. 

Your exact quote was, “I was informed this morning that Yuri Collins has verballed to SLU, or a member of the SLU staff.”

What is your level of confidence that he will still announce a commitment?  With Hargrove’s quote about Yuri, I like our chances. 

I think it was Monday afternoon I went to Simon Rec. There was a St. Louis Eagles sign in sheet. Like it was a practice there or something. Terrence Hargrove was on the court next to my friend and me and he was there before anyone else so I went over and shook his hand and told him how absolutely stoked we were to have him. Others on his team showed up later, which I guess would likely include Yuri, although I didn't know what he looked like so I can't say for sure. 

If he was there, he could've been on SLU campus during Monday workday hours if that's worth anything depending on when this report came out.

OT: Mike Crawford and Austin Eagleton were also playing on a different court at same time. Just a pick up game. One time I stole a ball from MC on the dribble in pick up and promptly turned it back over, but it was the highlight of my rec career. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheOne said:

Take anything from me.... just not my credibility!

Haha, I don't think you have to worry about that. And in a couple of weeks you very well may be proven right since from all accounts SLU is still one of if not the leaders for Collins. 

Recruiting changes so frequently that even the most connected folks will certainly end up being wrong at some point. You never truly know until a kid puts pen to paper or makes it to campus at this point with how verbal commitments and LOIs do not mean the same thing for all recruits.

ChangeOfPace likes this

27 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think people underestimate our chances at McKinney. I'm not saying they are great or anything but people seem to have it at basically 0% and I don't believe that is the case.

True, I don’t think he would’ve had our logo on the “edit” he released not too long ago, if there was truly no chance. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I think Schiffer is reading way too much into what McKinney said.  The if it works out part makes it sound like nothing more than "If we end up picking the same school, that would be great.".

Agreed, I feel like these package deals come out of every big event and typically when you hear the quotes it is often a fairly harmless response to a question asking if the kid would like to play with his friend (usually the response is something like it would be great to play with x if it works out that way, but he has to do what is best for him and I have to do what is best for me). Very rarely do they actually come to fruition and when it does it is typically two elite guys going to a blue blood. I actually did not realize how many offers McKinney had. I know many folks are going to see this and think it is good news for Mizzou, but if McKinney loved Mizzou he would be committed there. I am not sure what programs have really made Mario a priority (I am the under the impression that Mizzou didn't necessarily do so).

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I wouldn't necessarily rule out duke when talking package.

Duke typically takes 1-2 players per class, who are ranked below waat Mario is.  If Duke wants EJ that bad, they'll find a way.

I would (if you are talking about the package deal). Duke isn't taking a player of McKinney's caliber to land a player of Liddell's caliber. They don't need to play those games.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

I would (if you are talking about the package deal). Duke isn't taking a player of McKinney's caliber to land a player of Liddell's caliber. They don't need to play those games.

I may be looking to far into this, but it appears duke is making EJ a priority.  If thats the case, absolutely.  Like I said, Duke takes players worse than Mario almost every year. 

53 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Explain - I never heard this before.

Mark “Buddy” Halsell was in my freshman class at Howell North, he transferred to St Charles High school. He and Harrellson became friends and attended SWIC together. When Harrelson transferred to Kentucky he went with. Spent one season on the bench as a walk-on under Gillespie  and then transferred to Park College when Calipari got the job. 

The Eagles finished pool play 2-3.  I don't know the format, but I don't imagine they'll advance.  (I accidentally typed "poop" for "pool" at first; might be apropos.)  The BBE has the distinction of being the only team in the pool to beat Team WhyNot and the only team to lose to MeanStreets.

Through the first four games, Collins averaged 5.75 assists and 4 turnovers to go along with 6.25 ppg (3 of 8 3pt%).  Hargrove scored 5.25 ppg and 3 rpg.  However, the Eagles apparently got whooped 89-66 in tonight's game (but, admittedly, the scores and stats aren't always immediately accurate), so those may trend down.

https://www.d1circuit.com/page/show/4249924-brad-beal-elite-mo-

9 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Mark “Buddy” Halsell was in my freshman class at Howell North, he transferred to St Charles High school. He and Harrellson became friends and attended SWIC together. When Harrelson transferred to Kentucky he went with. Spent one season on the bench as a walk-on under Gillespie  and then transferred to Park College when Calipari got the job. 

So what you are saying is that had Brad offered a walk on spot for Halsell then he would have had Harrleson - why would Brad not have done that?

wasnt rickma the coach when harrellson picked kentucky?   soderberg recruited him out of high school but i thought it was rickma after juco.  so rickma passed on the walk on buddy deal.  

that said, harrellson went to kentucky because they showed him a "good" time in his trip.   nothing rickma could have did while doing things the slu way would have gotten harrellson

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

wasnt rickma the coach when harrellson picked kentucky?   soderberg recruited him out of high school but i thought it was rickma after juco.  so rickma passed on the walk on buddy deal.  

that said, harrellson went to kentucky because they showed him a "good" time in his trip.   nothing rickma could have did while doing things the slu way would have gotten harrellson

I think that was Brad's last recruiting gasp.  I remember Frank C saying on Friday that Harrellson had told Brad that he was coming but just wanted to make this trip for the experience.  Brad was blind sided by his decision to sign with KY.  If I am wrong then please show me.

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think that was Brad's last recruiting gasp.  I remember Frank C saying on Friday that Harrellson had told Brad that he was coming but just wanted to make this trip for the experience.  Brad was blind sided by his decision to sign with KY.  If I am wrong then please show me.

Fairly certain it was Majerus.  Through a series of random events I actually was with Harrelson on his trip. We sat in GF and he made everyone listen to voicemails from Billy Gillespie, Thad Matta and the UCLA coach at the time. He was never coming to SLU 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

44 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Ten years ago.

Majerus had just finished his first season at SLU when Harrellson hit the market for the second time.  The talk about a package deal for Harrellson is nothing more than a joke.  Nobody was going to stop Halsell from walking on at SLU.

49 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Brad has nobody to blame but himself. Coming out of high school, Harrellson desperately wanted to attend SLU, and Brad had no interest in signing him. A blunder of major proportions. Brad’s son Kramer played at St Charles West at the time and frequently played with and against Josh during their high school days. Brad had numerous occasions to evaluate Harrellson. The talent was obvious. My only guess is that Brad didn’t like him personally.

Didn't Harrelson originally sign with Western Ill. ?  Brad didn't go after him. Then soon after  Rick arrived, Rick wanted him and through Bernie's influence (I know that sounds strange) decided to transfer to SWIC with the idea coming to SLU the following year. Had a outstanding season at SWIC which brought in the high rollers. Gillespie got him to sign with UK.

1 minute ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Didn't Harrelson originally sign with Western Ill. ?  Brad didn't go after him. Then Rick arrived, Rick wanted him and through Bernie's influence (I know that sounds strange) decided to transferred to SWIC with the idea coming to SLU the following year. Had a outstanding season with SWIC which brought in the high rollers. Gillespie got him to sign with UK.

That’s correct. After realizing SLU wasn’t going to sign him, he went on a recruiting trip to Western Illinois, where they immediately offered him. Foolishly, Josh accepted. The St Charles coaches had warned Harrellson not to accept any offer but he did so anyway. Harrellson never played basketball until the 8th grade, and was just beginning to blow up as a player. This is what made the Soderberg decision so baffling. He of all people should have realized Harrellson’s potential. Harrellson eventually asked for his release, but W IL refused. That’s when Josh went the JC route.

9 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Didn't Harrelson originally sign with Western Ill. ?  Brad didn't go after him. Then soon after  Rick arrived, Rick wanted him and through Bernie's influence (I know that sounds strange) decided to transfer to SWIC with the idea coming to SLU the following year. Had a outstanding season at SWIC which brought in the high rollers. Gillespie got him to sign with UK.

Scan through the threads I linked.  Apparently, your timeline is a bit off.  Harrellson went to juco first, during Brad's last season, and then he spurned Coach Majerus to go to Kentucky.