Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

It's days/events like this that really make we wish we had a Rivals/Scout/Fox/247 presence. We just don't get any info. 

We as a community have nobody to blame for this but ourselves. Nobody is going to do it for free and some sort of compensation is necessary. Every time an aspiring reporter like Nate Latsch or Ben W. have tried to run one of these sites, only a modest number of people have signed up and those that don't whine and complain that the info shared on these sites isn't shared universally for free on this site.

Thankfully we have Pistol because I can't imagine anyone else really thinking this would be a good business model and starting it back up on their own.

2010andBeyond likes this

30 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

It's days/events like this that really make we wish we had a Rivals/Scout/Fox/247 presence. We just don't get any info. 

Fwiw... I heard earlier this week that McKinney and Liddell would be narrowing down their choices later this month,  doing commitment videos and making a decision in September.  They still have some official visits to make.

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

We as a community have nobody to blame for this but ourselves. Nobody is going to do it for free and some sort of compensation is necessary. Every time an aspiring reporter like Nate Latsch or Ben W. have tried to run one of these sites, only a modest number of people have signed up and those that don't whine and complain that the info shared on these sites isn't shared universally for free on this site.

Thankfully we have Pistol because I can't imagine anyone else really thinking this would be a good business model and starting it back up on their own.

I don't know how it could maintain any consistency really. I think any sort of rivals type presence would have to be on a co-op type basis with a few other regional schools. Some young person is going to have to want to cover SLU, ISU, Bradley, and SIU or something to that effect. Even then the travel costs and logistics involved would probably sink that ship quick. 

It would be cool if the UNews could have a sports department that covered stuff in a similar nature - call it a training ground to get into sports journalism. But the hard hitting exposes on the chicken sandwiches in the Gries cafeteria take precedent. 

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

No doubt. I subscribed to both of those sites even though I could not stand Ben W. 

If anyone out there is interested in SLU and wants to make some beer money, I will pay you $10-$15 a month to write articles and tweets about SLU recruits. 

willie likes this

3 hours ago, ChangeOfPace said:

The reality is that McKinney’s style does not bode very well for team play, especially if you are forced into half court sets.

It doesn't fit well for the style the Beagles play given everyone else on the roster.  His style would fit in well on the next level at places like Texas or Arkansas.

SLU not having a football team really hurts them with the Rivals/Scout stuff.  I'm guessing that most of the Rivals/Scout subscription sites are geared toward football and just cover basketball recruiting as well.  When I subscribed to Ben's site, it came with a free football recruiting magazine.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

It doesn't fit well for the style the Beagles play given everyone else on the roster.  His style would fit in well on the next level at places like Texas or Arkansas.

Yes, West Virginia too. For his sake I hope he understands that he needs to end up at a school that will play pressure D and up-tempo offense.

brianstl likes this

Stats for Collins and Hargrove from BBEs loss this morning:

3 Yuri Collins 0 1-3 0-0 0-2 1 7 0 1 0 5 2
Hargrove Jr 0 3-3 1-2 0-0 2 0 0 0 2 0 7

Neither are eye opening, but the Beagles are stacked (or so I thought until they lost 2 straight)

Hargrove hasn't missed a shot yet (7-7)

https://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/22104935?subseason=520424 

BBE got their first win of the tournament. Really missing Moses Moody who played tonight, but clearly at less than 100%. Good contributions from everyone who played tonight, including Hargrove when he played more significant minutes in the 1st half when the team was struggling to find a rhythm.

13 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Stats for Collins and Hargrove from BBEs loss this morning:

3 Yuri Collins 0 1-3 0-0 0-2 1 7 0 1 0 5 2
Hargrove Jr 0 3-3 1-2 0-0 2 0 0 0 2 0 7

Neither are eye opening, but the Beagles are stacked (or so I thought until they lost 2 straight)

Hargrove hasn't missed a shot yet (7-7)

https://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/22104935?subseason=520424 

Hargrove definitely airballed a 3 (too strong from the baseline) when I was watching. Maybe they attributed it to the wrong guy in the stat sheet. But otherwise he's been super efficient.

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Hargrove definitely airballed a 3 (too strong from the baseline) when I was watching. Maybe they attributed it to the wrong guy in the stat sheet. But otherwise he's been super efficient.

Shhhh. Blue koolaid only.

On another note - it doesn’t seem anyone (Beagles or not) is having the type of breakout sssion Hellems had last year. 

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I really hope we land Collins. Not expecting to get Liddell, but missing out on Yuri would be a blow. 

actually there are plenty of yuri collins caliber players.   dont get me wrong, he is good enough to be a billiken.  but he isnt as special as hargrove or liddell.    i'd love to get collins, but if he doesnt come i fully expect ford to find an equal or better guard for the spot.   

11 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I really hope we land Collins. Not expecting to get Liddell, but missing out on Yuri would be a blow. 

True that but with Ford does not mean we won’t get great recruit. Just not him. 

As Roy said before my post