Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean you don't like the fact Ford's been to the big dance 7 times and has only made it past the first round once?

-his OKST conf 'winning' percentage is .441, 3 times at OKST his teams were above .500 in conf in 8 seasons, that's part of what I don't like and that he didn't advance further when CBS liked to show the two female blonde fans that were attractive ;)

Let's just hope we haven't made up our minds on the backup plans to Drew. At this point, walking away with neither Drew nor Stallings would have to be considered a major failure for the AD.

For sure. And there will still be dominoes to fall in the coming days. The fact that Valpo is still playing gives us the ability to be patient in that regard.

I don't know why everyone has such a hard on for Drew. Sure, he's done well coaching Valpo and the upside is that he is young, played college/NBA, etc. However, the Horizon isn't exactly an awesome league and I'm not aware of any amazing coaching scheme/amazing recruiting talent he brings to the table.

Also, in all honesty, if he turned down ISU last year (better conference, better program), why would he pick SLU when - according to internet reports - he is being considered by ever school with a job opening east of the Mississippi?

Also x2, not sure how Bryce Drew = the "splashy big name hire" everyone that would automatically improve recruiting.

Agreed with the name calling.

As far as Thicks goes, why don't we lighten up. He's been a great poster and moderator here for long before many of you were posting. I get you think his view on women's sports was outdated, just plain wrong, and ridiculous. Personally and as someone coaching young ladies, I agree and was surprised he wrote it. But he took the heat, it's his opinion ... can we let it die. We've lost so many good posters over personal attacks.

Your second statement is right on the money, but your first statement is way off. He has been a terrible moderator - siding with SPUMAC trolls and even going so far as lecturing SLU fans for using the SPUMAC acronym... what a strange fit for BILLIKENS.com. Talk about not getting your audience. Thank goodness Steve was able to rid the board of the SPUMAC trolls, through no help of thicks. Nark also did well in the mod role.

I don't know why everyone has such a hard on for Drew. Sure, he's done well coaching Valpo and the upside is that he is young, played college/NBA, etc. However, the Horizon isn't exactly an awesome league and I'm not aware of any amazing coaching scheme/amazing recruiting talent he brings to the table.

Also, in all honesty, if he turned down ISU last year (better conference, better program), why would he pick SLU when - according to internet reports - he is being considered by ever school with a job opening east of the Mississippi?

Also x2, not sure how Bryce Drew = the "splashy big name hire" everyone that would automatically improve recruiting.

We've all exhausted logical reasons for it in the last 20,000 posts.

Breakdown:

Lorenzo Romar, 57 Years Old: 20 Seasons (14 with Washington/3 with SLU/3 with Pepperdine), 381-258 (141-111 in Pac12/24-24 in CUSA), 7 NCAA Tournament Appearances (3 Sweet 16s), 4 NIT Appearances, 1 CBI Appearance

Kevin Stallings, 55 Years OId: 23 Seasons (17 with Vandy/6 with Illinois State), 455-283 (138-142 in SEC), 9 NCAA Appearances (2 Sweet 16s), 7 NIT Appearances

Herb Sendek, 53 Years Old: 22 Seasons (9 with Arizona State/10 with NC State/3 with Miami OH), 407-291 (72-88 in ACC/68-86 in Pac10), 8 NCAA Appearances (1 Sweet 16), 10 NIT Appearances

Travis Ford, 46 Years Old: 16 Seasons (8 with OK State/3 with UMass/5 with E. Kentucky), 334-262 (63-80 in B12/31-17 in A10), 6 NCAA Appearances (0 Sweet 16s), 3 NIT Appearances

Anthony Grant, 49 Years Old: 9 Seasons (6 with Alabama/3 with VCU), 193-110 (54-49 in SEC/45-9 in Colonial), 3 NCAA Appearances (0 Sweet 16s), 4 NIT Appearances

Joe Dooley, 50 Years Old: 7 Seasons (3 with FGCU/4 with E. Carolina), 122-90 (33-13 in ASun/30-36 in Colonial), 1 NCAA Appearance (0 Sweet 16s), 1 NIT Appearance, 1 CIT Appearance

Bryce Drew, 41 Years Old: 5 Seasons (all with Valpo), 119-47 (63-19 in Horizon), 2 NCAA Appearances (0 Sweet 16s), 2 NIT Appearances, 1 CIT Appearance

I am on Team Thicks here. Sure, he may occasionally express a truly crazy opinion, but at least it's not in every post, at least he's not a giant gaping ###### about it when he does, and at least he doesn't let it get in the way of talking basketball. In that respect he has staked out a solid position as the Kasich relative to the non-stop, self-righteous Trumpishness that was once common from a certain voice on here.

EDIT: wow, an*s is bleeped out? Harsh.

Breakdown:

Lorenzo Romar, 57 Years Old: 20 Seasons (14 with Washington/3 with SLU/3 with Pepperdine), 381-258 (141-111 in Pac12/24-24 in CUSA), 7 NCAA Tournament Appearances (3 Sweet 16s), 4 NIT Appearances, 1 CBI Appearance

Kevin Stallings, 55 Years OId: 23 Seasons (17 with Vandy/6 with Illinois State), 455-283 (138-142 in SEC), 9 NCAA Appearances (2 Sweet 16s), 7 NIT Appearances

Herb Sendek, 53 Years Old: 22 Seasons (9 with Arizona State/10 with NC State/3 with Miami OH), 407-291 (72-88 in ACC/68-86 in Pac10), 8 NCAA Appearances (1 Sweet 16), 10 NIT Appearances

Travis Ford, 46 Years Old: 16 Seasons (8 with OK State/3 with UMass/5 with E. Kentucky), 334-262 (63-80 in B12/31-17 in A10), 6 NCAA Appearances (0 Sweet 16s), 3 NIT Appearances

Anthony Grant, 49 Years Old: 9 Seasons (6 with Alabama/3 with VCU), 193-110 (54-49 in SEC), 3 NCAA Appearances (0 Sweet 16s), 4 NIT Appearances

Joe Dooley, 50 Years Old: 7 Seasons (3 with FGCU/4 with E. Carolina), 122-90 (33-13 in ASun/30-36 in Colonial), 1 NCAA Appearance (0 Sweet 16s), 1 NIT Appearance, 1 CIT Appearance

Bryce Drew, 41 Years Old: 5 Seasons (all with Valpo), 119-47 (63-19 in Horizon), 2 NCAA Appearances (0 Sweet 16s), 2 NIT Appearances, 1 CIT Appearance

There are 2 names that have zero business even being on that list

BOOM! While I do like the possibility of Drew as our next HC, I won't loose any sleep if he isn't it. I'm not convinced he is, or should be, our top choice. His recruiting is okay, but I'm not sure how the current AAU circuit views him. Would the Jayson Tatum's of the area consider him a splashy hire? His roster has a number of foreigners, so while that could be seen as a plus (due to Cody and Rob) it also is a huge hit or miss situation (Greek and Christian).

Let AD May do his job. Let the new coach come on in and let's see what he is like before we judge him.

That conversation should be happening right now.

That conversation should be happening right now? You mean the one that is 100% based upon speculation from guys on this board and may not have any basis in reality.

Right now, I'm 1 and 1a on Drew or Stallings. I think either would be an excellent hire. However, it is possible that neither has any intention of coming here. Not saying that's the case, just saying its possible. If so, I would feel a little weird about demanding that a conversation should be happening about a fictitious scenario.

Let's just hope we haven't made up our minds on the backup plans to Drew. At this point, walking away with neither Drew nor Stallings would have to be considered a major failure for the AD.

Unless neither ever wanted to truly come here. If that's true, how is that the AD's failure.

Unless neither ever wanted to truly come here. If that's true, how is that the AD's failure.

If $1.5-2M isn't enough to convince either of them (when Stallings would potentially be making $0), then the program is in much worse shape than we thought. If that's the case, it starts with the AD's failure to get rid of Crews after last year's disaster.