Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd contrast on Cusumano's show today. Has an OSU guy who spoke highly of Ford, called him a good guy, said that he was just in a tough situation at OSU. Later had Mike Decourcey on, who upon being asked about Ford, took a 5 second pause and said "you look at his track record at OSU. Yeah, that's it."

Odd contrast on Cusumano's show today. Has an OSU guy who spoke highly of Ford, called him a good guy, said that he was just in a tough situation at OSU. Later had Mike Decourcey on, who upon being asked about Ford, took a 5 second pause and said "you look at his track record at OSU. Yeah, that's it."

Always have liked Mike's takes on college hoops. Ford would be a serious reach for SLU HC.

The original reports by some in this thread seemed to indicate that a former slu coach would get the job. Drew, Stallings, Dooley, Ford were not prior coaches. Anything new on this prior scoop?

Romar, Bennett, Diener, Moser, Whitesell, etc?

Uhhh what?

I don't know what to make of Dooley. I wouldn't be ecstatic about it but there is a chance he turns into a solid coach.

As for Ford, I think he gets a worse reputation on here than he might deserve. The guy went 31–17 (.646) in the A-10 at UMass and I think we could all agree that 10.3 wins per year in the A-10 sounds pretty solid. He is a good recruiter and made five NCAAs at Ok. State. Obviously he isn't the most exciting candidate given his recent firing at OSU but I wouldn't be disheartened if we end up with him.

I don't know what to make of Dooley. I wouldn't be ecstatic about it but there is a chance he turns into a solid coach.

As for Ford, I think he gets a worse reputation on here than he might deserve. The guy went 31–17 (.646) in the A-10 at UMass and I think we could all agree that 10.3 wins per year in the A-10 sounds pretty solid. He is a good recruiter and made five NCAAs at Ok. State. Obviously he isn't the most exciting candidate given his recent firing at OSU but I wouldn't be disheartened if we end up with him.

It's more or less the thought that no matter the team we have, with Ford as the coach a tourney run seems unlikely.

It's not Ford's record that is the issue (although that leaves something to be desired) - it's the fact that he does so little with so much. He landed big-time talent at OSU and had unlimited resources. 1 NCAA win is nearly unfathomable.

He had Gary Forbes and Ricky Harris, couldn't get them to the tournament, and left them in the worst shape they'd been in since before Calipari. Then he wasn't impressive with an even better cast at OK State. We'd be hoping he's improved with age, I guess? The only positive I see is that older Mizzou fans still really hate him.

The original reports by some in this thread seemed to indicate that a former slu coach would get the job. Drew, Stallings, Dooley, Ford were not prior coaches. Anything new on this prior scoop?

Romar, Bennett, Diener, Moser, Whitesell, etc?

I think it was more translating something Frank C. said on his show a few days ago. Frank could've meant a coach with St. Louis ties and not a former coach. With that, you get Drew and Stallings.

Considering that rumor came from Frank, take it for what you will.

Vandy fans apparently were just as adamant about #firestallings as we were about #firecrews

Why did his Vandy program get progressively worse these past few years?

It didn't. This past season was the best of my four years here. Lots of roster turnover and lack of experience is what did them in in my opinion. I would take Stallings over Dooley or Ford but not Drew, for what it's worth.

It didn't. This past season was the best of my four years here. Lots of roster turnover and lack of experience is what did them in in my opinion. I would take Stallings over Dooley or Ford but not Drew, for what it's worth.

I agree. Not sure why grant not in the

Picture. But I'd take any of those three. I do not want Dooley or ford. Hope we don't mess this up

Vandy fans apparently were just as adamant about #firestallings as we were about #firecrews

Why did his Vandy program get progressively worse these past few years?

Not sure what they are expecting... only 3 of the 14 SEC teams made the Tourney, and Vandy was one of them.