Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Congratulations on writing the stupidest thing ever to appear on billikens.com.

Seems like you're anxious to pass this title along, but you pretty much have a stranglehold on it for life - which is saying something, given some of the posters we've had here over the years.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Dooley hire is certainly not a "big splash" hire.

Travis Ford is a dreadful coach. One of my least favorites in all of college basketball. Here's how it would go if he were hired:

1. Splashy hire! Lots of energy!

2. Higher level of recruiting commitments than we've ever seen in the first couple seasons.

3. Rebuild with said recruits, record creeps upward over a couple seasons.

4. Most talented SLU team ever has solid regular season, craps out in conference tournament, gets lower seed than expected all season long, loses in first round of NCAA Tournament.

5. Repeat #4.

6. Players get frustrated, transfer/leave early.

7. Return to mediocre record for a couple seasons.

8. Fans grow restless, Ford finally fired without ever having accomplished what he was hired to do.

9. We return to this thread, still in the hopes we'll see a Sweet Sixteen someday.

Jesus. While he doesn't write the headline, the content of the article shows how out of touch with reality Gordon is.

An emerging mid major power in FGCU? They are in the 28th ranked conference (out of 32.) They had 0 wins against top 100 teams. Their conference champ was a team that got beat by the SLU team that got Crews fired. They will never be a multi bid league, and it will be rare when they are able to have their auto bid climb above a 14 seed. FGCU hasn't done ###### since their S16 run, so the emerging part doesn't make any sense either.

The better question to ask is "Why would SLU consider Joe Dooley?"

I was thinking about what we know for sure about this situation. By the way, bbds - I am not sure why you are so upset with anything I have posted. I have tried to stay neutral on this whole Drew issue only posting things that seem logical but I get that you are afraid to lose your coach and concerned that there are no Drews left for Valpo to low ball.

What we know - 1. Crews's buy out was more in the 700K range. At least that is what people who are somewhat knowledgeable have told me. The problem is since SLU is a private school they do not have to release that info so we may never know for sure other than what some tell us. 2. We have a 1.5-2 million budget for the coach not the entire program - a number of people have posted this on the board based on what they have been told by others in the know. I have no idea what the entire mbb program budget is and like I said we may never find out given that SLU does not have to release that info. 3. Drew has not confirmed or denied his interest in SLU - given all the rumors swirling it seems that if he has no interest then he would/should just say so for the benefit of his players. Therefore, I am connecting the dots and conclude that he has an interest. How much who knows and will it actually materialize - that is anybody's guess. 4. Why would Drew be interested in SLU - it is a private religious school which seems to be his preference from what others have said, it is not a large school so he can keep a more intimate relationship with his bosses, SLU plays in a multi bid league - this year only 3 but 4-5 is more the norm. SLU has more money and better facilities then Valpo - is that a clincher not necessarily but it is a big plus. STL is in a bigger city - still mid western and has a nice pool of D1 players - not Chicago but not Gary IN either. The salary to be offered is 5-6 times what he currently makes - how do you turn your back on that? - not many would. If he wants to go someplace that meets his internal needs as well as financial expectations then STL is a good place to be especially if the Big East plans to come a knocking in the next 2-3 years. That would give him time to rebuild the program and be in a position to compete in the BE. Now as far as he has a top 25 team at Valpo next year - that is an open question. He has a better team then us but top 25 probably not. Can you be a top 25 program at StL - yes - we spent 3 years in the top 25 and even finished one year as a top 10. This will not happen at Valpo.

Who will be our new coach - who knows but I am like everybody else - anxious to see the announcement.

I'm still not sure why we haven't heard Herb Sendek's name mentioned.

Agreed. I would put him easily above Dooley and Ford in terms of excitement. According to this article, he wants to get back into coaching. It also makes him sound a little Majerian with his system book and such.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4698767-herb-sendek-miami-ohio-north-carolina-state-arizona-state

I was thinking about what we know for sure about this situation. By the way, bbds - I am not sure why you are so upset with anything I have posted. I have tried to stay neutral on this whole Drew issue only posting things that seem logical but I get that you are afraid to lose your coach and concerned that there are no Drews left for Valpo to low ball.

What we know - 1. Crews's buy out was more in the 700K range. At least that is what people who are somewhat knowledgeable have told me. The problem is since SLU is a private school they do not have to release that info so we may never know for sure other than what some tell us. 2. We have a 1.5-2 million budget for the coach not the entire program - a number of people have posted this on the board based on what they have been told by others in the know. I have no idea what the entire mbb program budget is and like I said we may never find out given that SLU does not have to release that info. 3. Drew has not confirmed or denied his interest in SLU - given all the rumors swirling it seems that if he has no interest then he would/should just say so for the benefit of his players. Therefore, I am connecting the dots and conclude that he has an interest. How much who knows and will it actually materialize - that is anybody's guess. 4. Why would Drew be interested in SLU - it is a private religious school which seems to be his preference from what others have said, it is not a large school so he can keep a more intimate relationship with his bosses, SLU plays in a multi bid league - this year only 3 but 4-5 is more the norm. SLU has more money and better facilities then Valpo - is that a clincher not necessarily but it is a big plus. STL is in a bigger city - still mid western and has a nice pool of D1 players - not Chicago but not Gary IN either. The salary to be offered is 5-6 times what he currently makes - how do you turn your back on that? - not many would. If he wants to go someplace that meets his internal needs as well as financial expectations then STL is a good place to be especially if the Big East plans to come a knocking in the next 2-3 years. That would give him time to rebuild the program and be in a position to compete in the BE. Now as far as he has a top 25 team at Valpo next year - that is an open question. He has a better team then us but top 25 probably not. Can you be a top 25 program at StL - yes - we spent 3 years in the top 25 and even finished one year as a top 10. This will not happen at Valpo.

Who will be our new coach - who knows but I am like everybody else - anxious to see the announcement.

Excellent post.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2480.0

Man bbtds really doesn't like us. That's OK, I will still root for Valpo.

While most of the posters on this Valpo thread agree Drew is not leaving...if you go flip back on to their main board, there is a topic brought up by a first time poster ...who says " it is time to leave the Horizon"...The thread goes on to explain to the newbie about how the Horizon sucks and Valpo failities suck and that he should get use to it because nothing will change in the foreseeable future. They have evidently discussed this many times in the past....

Hmmm....Bad conference...bad facilities....no hope for change.....I wonder if the Coach knows anything about these things. They better hope Drew doesn't read their board.

He's at the highest level of Lutheran basketball available.

You'd think Derek Wittenburg (sic) would transition easily to the Valpo job, perhaps even nailing his resume to the door of the AD office?

What the hell? I waste more time than brianstl on here and I can't even get a shout out? I'm a way bigger loser than he is.

I think you're just too low energy.