#FireJimCrews

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid-season firings are pretty rare, so I'm not stunned. I think that the more likely (yet still unlikely) option is that if this dumpster fire of a season continues on its current trajectory, maybe during the conference season there could be rumblings or an announcement that Crews will retire after the season.

To be honest, I'm not against waiting until after the season. I want nothing to do with the chance that someone would think that an interim coach should be given a chance at being the permanent coach if he coaches the team to a couple of decent wins in conference play, however unlikely that may be. Look what promoting our last interim coach got us.

A name I would personally be interested in is Luke Murray, an assistant on Chris Mack's staff at Xavier. He was an assistant at RI the past couple of years and has a nice resume as a young coach who has slowly worked his way up the coaching ladder. The only downside is that he is young, either 30 or 31. But definitely a name I would look at regardless.

Any top assistant at X, Butler, or VCU would be worth a look. Those are programs that have shown they know how to develop coaching talent.

I'd also take a look at anyone connected to Bo Ryan that doesn't get the job they want at Wisc as things shake out up there.

Jase's reply on twitter is annoying. "Dont forget that these guys are basically all freshman and sophomores."

He is one of those people who iis not allowed to be objective because then he would give up his press access to the team...right?

Let's not go there ... at one time we had plenty of upperclassmen for this year...three of them left the program...call them malcontents if you want but the freshman/soph. excuse doesn't hold up.

Should SLU take a serious look at Beane as the new coach once Crews leaves?

Did he recruit these guys that turned SIUC around after their fortunes last year looked as bad or worse than SLU?

Not unless he's got a bunch more sons good enough to score 20+ a game.

We can do much better than a guy that Soderberg fired.

Beane was horrible as game coach when subbing a couple of times for soderberg. And if you think about the fact that soderberg recruited lisch and liddell just what talent did he really recruit to slu?

We can do better than Anthony beane

Not unless he's got a bunch more sons good enough to score 20+ a game.

We can do much better than a guy that Soderberg fired.

He has got a son that is a sophomore in high school that is going to be at least a level better than Anthony if what people who watch him all the time are correct. That said, no on Beane.

Should SLU take a serious look at Beane as the new coach once Crews leaves?

Did he recruit these guys that turned SIUC around after their fortunes last year looked as bad or worse than SLU?

No.

I'll leave it at that.

How quickly are we to dismiss the Post-Dispatch story where Crews talked about getting these fifth year prep players and how that makes them not-really-freshmen? Neufeld. Jolly. Agbeko. Welmer. And Yacoubou is a fifth-year senior.

And there is one game left to the current OOC schedule. My response would be "if you don't get it by now, the chances of you getting it are slim to none." This used to be the typical year you saw folks transfer in and out of programs. Half my college career done, it ain't working, I need a new start. Conversely, this was the typical point in time where you saw your current sophomores that were getting it starting to blossom. Anybody see that with our pick six? Other than Reynolds (who I believe rose from the dead) not a single one has made positive strides IMHO.

Is that talent? Coaching? or both?

I disagree. Slu would be a very desirable destination. Great facilities. A10 is a decent conference and a step up from being an assistant or say the head coach at Savannah state (which incidentally has an intriguing head coach imo).

Yes we aren't going to get some big time power conference ultra successful head coach to come to us, but the home run is to find the next great hungry up and comer and give them the tools and support to win. For that guy, slu is very attractive

How quickly are we to dismiss the Post-Dispatch story where Crews talked about getting these fifth year prep players and how that makes them not-really-freshmen? Neufeld. Jolly. Agbeko. Welmer. And Yacoubou is a fifth-year senior.

And there is one game left to the current OOC schedule. My response would be "if you don't get it by now, the chances of you getting it are slim to none." This used to be the typical year you saw folks transfer in and out of programs. Half my college career done, it ain't working, I need a new start. Conversely, this was the typical point in time where you saw your current sophomores that were getting it starting to blossom. Anybody see that with our pick six? Other than Reynolds (who I believe rose from the dead) not a single one has made positive strides IMHO.

Is that talent? Coaching? or both?

-a mix of both but it all gets put at the feet of the coach as he is responsible for the roster

I disagree. Slu would be a very desirable destination. Great facilities. A10 is a decent conference and a step up from being an assistant or say the head coach at Savannah state (which incidentally has an intriguing head coach imo).

Yes we aren't going to get some big time power conference ultra successful head coach to come to us, but the home run is to find the next great hungry up and comer and give them the tools and support to win. For that guy, slu is very attractive

Agreed, Roy. Tons of good coaches would kill to coach at SLU.

The school won't have a problem finding interested coaches. The problem will be making sure the AD doesn't mess it up.

Agreed, Roy. Tons of good coaches would kill to coach at SLU.

The school won't have a problem finding interested coaches. The problem will be making sure the AD doesn't mess it up.

+2. This would be the first time a coaching search will be conducted with the power of the fully armed and operational Chaifetz Arena. It also will be the first "search" with Emperor Chaifetz in charge.

Selling coaches on West Pine and being overmatched in a quasimajor conference was tough. Selling them on Chaifetz and a winnable mid major conference will be easier.