Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

A couple of tidbits about SLU on Frank's show today.

-He said he's reading between the lines, but he doesn't think SLU is recruiting Mark Smith that hard right now.

-He said they love Yuri Collins and he thinks he's on the cusp of committing.

-He's also not sure they will bring on Larry Austin either.

-Ford is looking forward to putting Gordon and French on the court together.

-Goodwin's dad told Frank that Jordan is working to get better every day and wants to take SLU to the tournament next year.

Did he mentioned he talked to Ford recently because it sounds like that.  I would think with @TheOne and now Frank saying Yuri is close, similar to how he said it with Goodwin and Gordon, it could happen soon.  Would be nice to have him helping recruit Liddell over the summer too.  

Just now, Bills_06 said:

Did he mentioned he talked to Ford recently because it sounds like that.  I would think with @TheOne and now Frank saying Yuri is close, similar to how he said it with Goodwin and Gordon, it could happen soon.  Would be nice to have him helping recruit Liddell over the summer too.  

I don't believe he specifically said he talked to Ford recently, but I would assume he did judging by all the info he shared today.

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

If Goodwin comes back making threes OMG we've got some player.

I want to say he ended up shooting like 34% from 3 in conference.  if he can get to 40%, yes please. 

Zink likes this

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

If Goodwin comes back making threes OMG we've got some player.

The coaching staff has transparently discussed the fact that consistent 3-point range is one of the only few limiting factors holding Jordan back from being a breakout player in the league.

I have to assume that Jordan took this to heart, and I know he’s working hard during his time off.

11 minutes ago, TheOne said:

The coaching staff has transparently discussed the fact that consistent 3-point range is one of the only few limiting factors holding Jordan back from being a breakout player in the league.

I have to assume that Jordan took this to heart, and I know he’s working hard during his time off.

Thank you for that information. One minor correction for you/coaching staff. Nothing is holding Jordan Goodwin back from being a breakout player in the A-10. He is already primed for 3-Straight A10 POY awards even without improving his jumper. The jump shot is perhaps limiting him from winning three straight Naismith awards, I will give them that.

MattyMo213, Zink, almaman and 1 other like this

it is my opinon there is nothing wrong with goodwin's jump shot beyond making it.   i think his mechanics look fine, the rotation on the ball after the release is perfect and i dont think he forces unmakable/bad shot selection.   he just doesnt make as many shots as we'd like to see.   that may come from exhaustion, or focus, but there seems to be no reason he doesnt make more by looking at the shot imo.  

3 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

@TheOne, can you confirm or deny Frank's assumptions that we aren't recruiting Smith or Austin very heavily?

Smith - - I am not familiar with SLU’s relationship and/or level of recruitment around this player.

Austin - - I believe he has expressed his desire and willingness to play at SLU, and that it is now Coach’s hand to determine if there is a fit for him in the roster (AKA he’s ours if Coach wants him)

Collins - - I believe he will be a Billiken.

35 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I don't believe he specifically said he talked to Ford recently, but I would assume he did judging by all the info he shared today.

I stand corrected. I listened to it again and he said he talked to Ford yesterday about French and Gordon. Ford said they can both beat you off the dribble and also pound the hell out of you inside.

He also thinks Ford is looking for another pure shooter.

1 minute ago, TheOne said:

Smith - - I am not familiar with SLU’s relationship and/or level of recruitment around this player.

Austin - - I believe he has expressed his desire and willingness to play at SLU, and that it is now Coach’s hand to determine if there is a fit for him in the roster (AKA he’s ours if Coach wants him)

Thanks as always for the info.

14 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Thanks for the info!

18 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I stand corrected. I listened to it again and he said he talked to Ford yesterday about French and Gordon. Ford said they can both beat you off the dribble and also pound the hell out of you inside.

He also thinks Ford is looking for another pure shooter.

I hope he is looking for one pure shooter, but also a combo guard type (who can handle the ball and also capable of making some 3s). Austin does not fit that description, which is why I'm fine if they wait on him.

Not only does Goodwin need to improve his percentage, but so does Bess. It would be very helpful if he could get over 30% next year.

Looking at the Top 50 3-point percentage shooting teams from this past season, SIX are in the Sweet 16 and 15 others made the NCAA Tourney. Of the bottom 50 (where we were ranked) only one team is still playing - Syracuse... and it's very debatable that they even earned a trip to the Tourney based on their lackluster regular season.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

-He said he's reading between the lines, but he doesn't think SLU is recruiting Mark Smith that hard right now.

-Goodwin's dad told Frank that Jordan is working to get better every day and wants to take SLU to the tournament next year.

-very good info, thank you, was Goodwin's dad on the show or Frank just recounting a convo they had?

towel me all day

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I hope he is looking for one pure shooter, but also a combo guard type (who can handle the ball and also capable of making some 3s). Austin does not fit that description, which is why I'm fine if they wait on him.

Not only does Goodwin need to improve his percentage, but so does Bess. It would be very helpful if he could get over 30% next year.

Looking at the Top 50 3-point percentage shooting teams from this past season, SIX are in the Sweet 16 and 15 others made the NCAA Tourney. Of the bottom 50 (where we were ranked) only one team is still playing - Syracuse... and it's very debatable that they even earned a trip to the Tourney based on their lackluster regular season.

I think Bess will shoot a much higher percent next year. He was forced to generate offence because no one else could. I belief his attempts will go down and percentage will increase because we will have more options. 

Here is the link to the audio. Go to segment 1, SLU talk starts at the 16:45 mark

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thepressbox/2018/03/20/segment-1--opening-monologue-32018

If Austin can play 8-10 mins per game next year as a backup PG, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I don't really want a 5th freshman to come in unless he's a highly rated guy who could have an immediate impact. I think next year's team is right on the border of being able to make a run so I'll take anyone who can help next year. A shooter is still my number 1 priority though even if it's a transfer who has to sit out. 

Zink likes this

Jalyn Patterson from LSU now on the market as a grad transfer. I believe we were a finalist for him coming out of high school. A combo guard type in the Bishop mold. Is a threat to make 3s, but can also handle the ball. Part-time starter during his career. Would much prefer a player like this over Austin. Went to Montverde Academy, which I think is a program Ford has some contacts with.

43 minutes ago, ACE said:

McCall 2.0 would be nice to add to the roster.

29 minutes ago, ACE said:

Jalyn Patterson from LSU now on the market as a grad transfer. I believe we were a finalist for him coming out of high school. A combo guard type in the Bishop mold. Is a threat to make 3s, but can also handle the ball. Part-time starter during his career. Would much prefer a player like this over Austin. Went to Montverde Academy, which I think is a program Ford has some contacts with.

Redshirted last year so he could grad transfer. I wonder if he practiced with the team?

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I want to say he ended up shooting like 34% from 3 in conference.  if he can get to 40%, yes please. 

1 hour ago, TheOne said:

1 hour ago, NH said:

Thank you for that information. One minor correction for you/coaching staff. Nothing is holding Jordan Goodwin back from being a breakout player in the A-10. He is already primed for 3-Straight A10 POY awards even without improving his jumper. The jump shot is perhaps limiting him from winning three straight Naismith awards, I will give them that.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

it is my opinon there is nothing wrong with goodwin's jump shot beyond making it.   i think his mechanics look fine, the rotation on the ball after the release is perfect and i dont think he forces unmakable/bad shot selection.   he just doesnt make as many shots as we'd like to see.   that may come from exhaustion, or focus, but there seems to be no reason he doesnt make more by looking at the shot imo.  

@wgstl, that's correct. Goodwin shot 34.4% from 3 in conference play. 40% would be a big jump for a guy who never shot that percentage at any level, but as Roy says, his mechanics are good. He's putting in the work. He should be able to at least get close. With even marginal improvement in that department, he's primed for a big leap. I think a more important factor with him is the roster around him. Having more perimeter threats on the floor automatically makes him more valuable, stretching out defenses and giving him more room to operate.

By the way, he also shot 77.5% from the FT line in conference.