Billiken Bash Observations

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like McBroom but he's a useful player. Still not convinced he's the right guy to to be the point guard all season, but he can still shoot the ball and can create. Wouldn't mind seeing some lineups with Ash at the 3 and McBroom with one of Roby or Reynolds in the backcourt.

The one observation I made yesterday is that I'm a little worried about the defense. The guys know what's coming from each other, but still saw a lot of lapses. Again as others have said, it was a scrimmage after a 3 hour practice and scrimmages aren't for everyone but it was still a little worrisome.

This team will lose games it shouldn't, but definitely win some they shouldn't. I might actually be more excited for this season than last despite the clear difference in expectations.

As with any freshmen-laden team, whether or not they can understand and play our defense is the real question. I don't care if we put up 90 pts per game early on, if we give up 80 it will point to a long and painful A10 season.

As with any freshmen-laden team, whether or not they can understand and play our defense is the real question. I don't care if we put up 90 pts per game early on, if we give up 80 it will point to a long and painful A10 season.

Yes and no. If we can graduate 5 starters and put up 90 points per game, I like our chances. Defense is important, but let's not kid ourselves -- we have unproven defensive players as well as unproven offensive players so everything is relative. JJ was A10 player of the year for both his offense and defense. And I will say right now, it will be a long and losing season if we start/play GG and JM together because of their defense.

Trae Roberts just tweeted that attendance yesterday was 773.

C'mon, students, support these guys! I worry this year that our student turnout will fall off, especially if we're struggling. I know some of that's the nature of the beast, but was kind of hoping the momentum we got from the last 3-4 years would carry over. Don't know how much the Athletic Department built this up, but 773 seems weak to me. Do we still have a SLUnatic committee?

This is SLU not Loyola Marymount.

C'mon, students, support these guys! I worry this year that our student turnout will fall off, especially if we're struggling. I know some of that's the nature of the beast, but was kind of hoping the momentum we got from the last 3-4 years would carry over. Don't know how much the Athletic Department built this up, but 773 seems weak to me. Do we still have a SLUnatic committee?

It was pretty weak. But honestly, if I hadn't already been planning on going, I would never have heard about the event. There was zero advertisement for it on campus, and I mean zero. They could have at least sent a mass email to the entire student body or something

I don't believe there were any students there who weren't in the band.

It was pretty weak. But honestly, if I hadn't already been planning on going, I would never have heard about the event. There was zero advertisement for it on campus, and I mean zero. They could have at least sent a mass email to the entire student body or something

I don't think 733 is all that weak. I mean, it was a one hour scrimmage.

I think SLU did a nice job having the concession stands open, face-painting, and the autograph session. They may have been constricted by practice time rules, but it would have been fun to extend the event some by having All-Star game like competition (skills competition, 3 point contest) and in this maybe had men's and women's teams participate. Maybe even have Crews play Stone in HORSE.

I don't think 733 is all that weak. I mean, it was a one hour scrimmage.

I think SLU did a nice job having the concession stands open, face-painting, and the autograph session. They may have been constricted by practice time rules, but it would have been fun to extend the event some by having All-Star game like competition (skills competition, 3 point contest) and in this maybe had men's and women's teams participate. Maybe even have Crews play Stone in HORSE.

I meant in terms of student body attendance. The overall turnout by other fans was pretty good as you mentioned

One thing that I foresee with the construction of new dorms and on campus housing is that the attendance at games and other basketball events will only continue to improve in the future. The new places will be done just in time for the arrival of FBJT.

I meant in terms of student body attendance. The overall turnout by other fans was pretty good as you mentioned

One thing that I foresee with the construction of new dorms and on campus housing is that the attendance at games and other basketball events will only continue to improve in the future. The new places will be done just in time for the arrival of FBJT.

I figure students showed up and sat in normal seats.

If we put up 90 and allow 80, we should win every game I'll take that.

Only because I have been at SLU as a student for 3 years, I have to ask: what is your level of excitement/hype for the freshman this season compared to that of the Jett, McCall, Evans, Loe recruiting class?

This class has been hyped much less. With Loe playing in the HS international all star game, DR K's reports on Evans, and other McCall reports they were more of a known commodity, plus we had Reed and Mitchell returning and the situation kind of took the wind out of everyone's sails.

We have not had a frontrunner in this class as to who was guaranteed to be a difference maker. This class is more like Majerus' first class, just without the obvious star power of Mitchell. Lots of unknowns but plenty of solid performers.

This class has been hyped much less. With Loe playing in the HS international all star game, DR K's reports on Evans, and other McCall reports they were more of a known commodity, plus we had Reed and Mitchell returning and the situation kind of took the wind out of everyone's sails.

We have not had a frontrunner in this class as to who was guaranteed to be a difference maker. This class is more like Majerus' first class, just without the obvious star power of Mitchell. Lots of unknowns but plenty of solid performers.

I believe that report was from DoctorB.