Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for those who think there are too many guard spots, smith to Illinois would then have too many for smith then by that logic. 

Would people here rather Pickett or Bishop? Bishop would probably become a grad transfer, if not he would take up a scholarship for 5 years. And look at the talent Ford is trying to get

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree with 3 star.   if this rumor is true, i am proud of ford for being honest with him.    how many greedy coaches would just promise away unconcerned.    i have seen pickett a lot.   and i think pickett is a fantastic D1 prospect.  the billiken fandom would love him.  

the problem is i think that goodwin, henriquez, bess, and graves are all better.  if you are starting the season that far down the depth chart, that is a tough hill to climb.   i'd love to have the depth.   be nice if pickett redshirted to put himself in a good spot to be bess or henriquez replacement, but who knows who else ford has on the hook for 2018 or beyond.   ford should move on if it's true.   

Goodwin is the only one clearly ahead of him. He has put up big numbers. He has much better range than Bess, better inside game than Henrique and he is bigger than Graves.  I can see him coming in, measuring himself with the other players.  He can red shirt and take Roby's spot or go for it right away.   It all depends on how long it takes him to adjust to div 1, and how the other players develop.  This team can use a balanced player like him.

Roy Schmidt this morning, "Also, there is absolutely no reason for me to believe that there is any chance that Jeremiah Tilmon returns to Illinois at this point.".

And tonight, "Folks, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeremiah Tilmon still end up at Illinois."

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Roy Schmidt this morning, "Also, there is absolutely no reason for me to believe that there is any chance that Jeremiah Tilmon returns to Illinois at this point.".

And tonight, "Folks, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeremiah Tilmon still end up at Illinois."

That's the Roy Schmidt MO. If you look at his self congratulating from earlier on Charlie Moore to KU he uses the "as I said a week ago, Moore to KU is official." Looking back to hisnonly tweets about Moore and KU, it's just vague references and possibilities.

I'm not sure why we have coaches. It seems we could save some resources and just poll bills.com for a depth chart. I wonder why recruits don't just start a new thread with a poll on the site to determine if they should commit, or hell why not just start one to see if they stay or go after every season. No one posting here has a real clue where Pickett would end up on a depth chart by midseason next year.

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

I am fascinated by this guy and find him hilarious.

Any and all Roy updates are appreciated.

Kinda funny that some of the same people who not long ago were saying our lack of depth would be a weakness next year are now saying that we have so much depth that a talented Illini commit may not be able to find playing time.

45 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm not sure why we have coaches. It seems we could save some resources and just poll bills.com for a depth chart. I wonder why recruits don't just start a new thread with a poll on the site to determine if they should commit, or hell why not just start one to see if they stay or go after every season. No one posting here has a real clue where Pickett would end up on a depth chart by midseason next year.

I actually vote we let prep hoops Roy build out the roster 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Point taken, but what's the harm in some fans discussing it?  Surely this site wouldn't be as much fun without speculative discussion, would it?

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Point taken, but what's the harm in some fans discussing it?  Surely this site wouldn't be as much fun without speculative discussion, would it?

It'd be different if it didn't come across as so many experts with absolute certainty of the future.

I'd bet most posters on the board haven't seen Javon Pickett play for more than 1 full game. In addition they probably haven't seen the transfers play except for some video clips. Yet there are people speculating that Pickett should redshirt or is even coming in with the idea in his head that he's not talented enough to compete for minutes much less a starting role so he should be expecting or even wanting to redshirt.

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It'd be different if it didn't come across as so many experts with absolute certainty of the future.

I'd bet most posters on the board haven't seen Javon Pickett play for more than 1 full game. In addition they probably haven't seen the transfers play except for some video clips. Yet there are people speculating that Pickett should redshirt or is even coming in with the idea in his head that he's not talented enough to compete for minutes much less a starting role so he should be expecting or even wanting to redshirt.

We have two experts that post, uncle jack (Billiken Roy) and Soderballs.  They are AHEAD of Coach Ford's thinking.  My guess is that Ford routinely communicates with these two experts to find out what he should be doing.

The rest of us are just MBM's

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The idea behind reshirting is that he will be a better player, and bigger asset to the program, in 2021-22 vs. 2017-18. If he doesn't want to redshirt then cool, that's fine too. It's just not that crazy of an idea when you look at our depth, coupled with previous comments from Ford regarding preference for a tighter rotation 

30 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The problem I have run across with "experts" is that the majority have no firm knowledge of what will happen and just provide their opinion based upon their prior expertise.

5 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

The idea behind reshirting is that he will be a better player, and bigger asset to the program, in 2021-22 vs. 2017-18. If he doesn't want to redshirt then cool, that's fine too. It's just not that crazy of an idea when you look at our depth, coupled with previous comments from Ford regarding preference for a tighter rotation 

It's a crazy idea for the kid.  How many 3 or 4 star kids do you see committing to a non-power 5 school, redshirting  (without injury) just so they can get playing time later.  If I'm the kid or his dad and you come to me with that and I'll shred you.  We aren't Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina just yet people.......