Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's a crazy idea for the kid.  How many 3 or 4 star kids do you see committing to a non-power 5 school, redshirting  (without injury) just so they can get playing time later.  If I'm the kid or his dad and you come to me with that and I'll shred you.  We aren't Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina just yet people.......  

Agree.

Imagine Coach Ford saying....."love to have you Javon, and by the way, you are not good enough to compete for playing time, so we want to red shirt you".

Not much of a selling point to get a recruit to sign with SLU.

Damn......hope SLU gets a commit for 2017 soon because this thread has become beyond silly.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood why some fans get bent out of shape when a player gets "recruited over." I want a coach who is always trying to upgrade the talent and create competition for playing time. If a kid doesn't believe he is good enough to earn playing time, then I wouldn't be interested in him. If Pickett is as good as some say he is, then he will be able to get PT. 

11 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's a crazy idea for the kid.  How many 3 or 4 star kids do you see committing to a non-power 5 school, redshirting  (without injury) just so they can get playing time later.  If I'm the kid or his dad and you come to me with that and I'll shred you.  We aren't Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina just yet people.......  

My comment was it would be a coup for the program, however unlikely it is. Not that he's not good enough to play immediately, or this or that. If he would rather come in and play 10 ish mins a game (speculating! look out!) as a freshman then great. Relax folks 

48 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

The idea behind reshirting is that he will be a better player, and bigger asset to the program, in 2021-22 vs. 2017-18. If he doesn't want to redshirt then cool, that's fine too. It's just not that crazy of an idea when you look at our depth, coupled with previous comments from Ford regarding preference for a tighter rotation 

Then hell it'd be even better if every player redshirted as they'll all be better after a year in the system.

24 minutes ago, ACE said:

I never understood why some fans get bent out of shape when a player gets "recruited over." I want a coach who is always trying to upgrade the talent and create competition for playing time. If a kid doesn't believe he is good enough to earn playing time, then I wouldn't be interested in him. If Pickett is as good as some say he is, then he will be able to get PT. 

+1

55 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The problem I have run across with "experts" is that the majority have no firm knowledge of what will happen and just provide their opinion based upon their prior expertise.

Speaking of "experts" I see that Maurice Scott is set to join Frank C's show at 11:30a.  I'm sure we'll all be enlightened.

27 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

Speaking of "experts" I see that Maurice Scott is set to join Frank C's show at 11:30a.  I'm sure we'll all be enlightened.

Scott said that he doesn't know where Pickett will go, but if he goes to SLU, he wouldn't be surprised if a redshirt is needed. 

He also said not enough people talk about Jordan Goodwin. He will have an immediate impact at SLU and is better than Smith, Tilmon, Pickett, etc. He voted for Goodwin for Illinois Player of the Year and thinks he would have won if he didn't get injured. He said there is nothing Goodwin can't do and SLU fans will be ecstatic to have him.

3 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Scott said that he doesn't know where Pickett will go, but if he goes to SLU, he wouldn't be surprised if a redshirt is needed. 

He also said not enough people talk about Jordan Goodwin. He will have an immediate impact at SLU and is better than Smith, Tilmon, Pickett, etc. He voted for Goodwin for Illinois Player of the Year and thinks he would have won if he didn't get injured. He said there is nothing Goodwin can't do and SLU fans will be ecstatic to have him.

Ok mo Scott isn't all bad 

41 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Yeah.  Goodwin is a beast.  I saw him put up double digit rebounds last year in Indianapolis during the EYBL session. 

13 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Goodwin, French, Adonys, Bess and Foreman are a stacked line up. I see Foreman's lineup changing the most. We also have to think this is technically the transfer's senior season. So we technically have 4 seniors next year

not sure why you "technically" count their sit-out year as a playing season

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

not sure why you "technically" count their sit-out year as a playing season

Not playing season. The point is they are the same age as all the other seniors. Their "sit-out" season consisted of all the same practices as the rest of the team. I don't think they need time to adjust after one friendly scrimmage in the fall. They will have the experience of a senior, and they will be hungry on the court. 

30 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Goodwin, French, Adonys, Bess and Foreman are a stacked line up. I see Foreman's lineup changing the most. We also have to think this is technically the transfer's senior season. So we technically have 4 seniors next year

Only one three point threat. Hmm. Not sure that works. Defense would pack in  

So Foreman has a lineup?  Where did he post it?

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Only one three point threat. Hmm. Not sure that works. Defense would pack in  

So Foreman has a lineup?  Where did he post it?

Which one is the only 3 point threat?  If it's someone other than Goodwin I wouldn't agree with that. His 3 pt shot was pretty good this year in the games I watched him.

2 minutes ago, TRN said:

Which one is the only 3 point threat?  If it's someone other than Goodwin I wouldn't agree with that. His 3 pt shot was pretty good this year in the games I watched him.

AD is the only threat. doesnt mean goodwin cant. 

1 minute ago, TRN said:

He is a 3 threat, I've seen it in person.  I'd say Foreman is a threat too from highlights I've seen.

Must be on the playground as it wasn't in HS.

Foreman has shot 15 threes in his career making 6. Not what I call a threat. And Bess is 2 of 11 in his career so don't go there. 

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Must be on the playground as it wasn't in HS.

Foreman has shot 15 threes in his career making 6. Not what I call a threat. And Bess is 2 of 11 in his career so don't go there. 

Yeah but Foreman and Bess have had a whole year of not playing and just working on their weak areas. I'm not saying that they're gonna come out and be amazing three shooters, but they could have worked hard over the offseasons and improved quite a bit.