Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

For those who follow high school basketball more than I do, have you seen a player from the area come out of nowhere like Mark Smith? Was he known as a basketball player before this season, and just ignored because he was thought to be a baseball player? For me, I think of Ruben Cotto, the kid from Alton who came out of nowhere to become a star as a senior and committed to SLU, only to play for one semester and leave. Not saying Smith is going to pull a Cotto, but is he as good as the praise he's received?

i think he was on a baseball path prior to this season and thus the scouts just werent looking.   he has been a starter and leader for eville basketball since his sophomore season and has always been a player that i thought had a D1 body and game.   granted he went to another level this season, but he isnt the all at once a star a lot make him out to be.   i compare him to josh fisher (offensively, he isnt the defender that josh was).   straight ahead strong player, protects the basketball and looks to pass.     a lot of his hype is he is the best available.  that all said, he isnt as good as jordan goodwin imo, goodwin imo does everything better except shoot free throws.   smith is an excellent free throw shooter.  probably averaged over 10 points a game from the free throw line.   

that family must be so proud. Barely known beginning of season now blue chippers in hot pursuit. Area all the sudden hot bed for HS basketball and hockey. Missouri with #1 recruit 2 years in a row (counting Porter as show me boy). 5 NHL first rounders in one year!

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i think he was on a baseball path prior to this season and thus the scouts just werent looking.   he has been a starter and leader for eville basketball since his sophomore season and has always been a player that i thought had a D1 body and game.   granted he went to another level this season, but he isnt the all at once a star a lot make him out to be.   i compare him to josh fisher (offensively, he isnt the defender that josh was).   straight ahead strong player, protects the basketball and looks to pass.     a lot of his hype is he is the best available.  that all said, he isnt as good as jordan goodwin imo, goodwin imo does everything better except shoot free throws.   smith is an excellent free throw shooter.  probably averaged over 10 points a game from the free throw line.   

The baseball part is right. He was playing with the STL Pirates for awhile and had the SPUMAC offer from that team. 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I can't believe this - despite his prowess at baseball if the basketball scouts saw something they would have been all over him, trying to convince him that b-ball was his best path in college. Could be a "late" bloomer, or just dramatically improved as baseball path fell away (due to injury, if I recall the chatter on this board saying) and he concentrated on b-ball.

22 minutes ago, William Iken said:

I can't believe this - despite his prowess at baseball if the basketball scouts saw something they would have been all over him, trying to convince him that b-ball was his best path in college. Could be a "late" bloomer, or just dramatically improved as baseball path fell away (due to injury, if I recall the chatter on this board saying) and he concentrated on b-ball.

16 year olds that are 6'3" tall and throw 93 mph and has high D1 offers in hand are hard to switch out when the recruit in question is adamant he wants to be a major league pitcher.   he is not a late bloomer as in dramatic improvement.   he was always a quality high school guard.   just so happens everything came together for eville this year.   and he being the center piece obviously got more focus.  couple that with the arm injury, and the fact he was the best available guard as everyone else had already signed, the focus increased.   smith is a good player.  very good.   and very capable of playing high D1 basketball.   I will be surprised though if he is a star.   and unlike Goodwin who I could see developing into a professional basketball player, I am of the opinion he is probably capped as a college basketball player.   we shall see.  

Smith committed to Mizzou for baseball in December 2015 and decommitted in July 2016. During that timeframe, he had a strained flexor pronator tendon in his throwing elbow that wasn't improving. That's enough to derail a baseball career, but not basketball. So it's only then that things reopened for basketball, and that summer is when the first round of offers arrived in earnest: SIUE, WIU, NIU, Oral Roberts, Wright State, Indiana State, and Elon (some of which may have offered earlier but refreshed them when he was a basketball recruit officially).

Since the start of the HS season, he's added offers from DePaul, Illinois, Loyola, K-State, Mizzou, Northwestern, Indiana, BC, Butler, Cal, Utah, Nebraska, Texas, Ohio State, and Michigan State, with interest from Georgia Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Alabama, and Auburn (and more).

Even if he's not a "late bloomer" in terms of athleticism, or at least having a steady rising arc over the course of his career, it's unusual to see a player's recruitment jump like that during his senior year. Winning Mr. Basketball over Nojel Eastern, Jordan Goodwin, and Jeremiah Tilmon is a big deal. I think a lot of coaches knew Smith was a player and stayed off because he was playing baseball, but I also don't think they realized he was *quite* as good as he turned out to be. So I think there's some truth in all comments above.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

-Goodwin is a better 3pt shooter? if so, that would be great

30 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-Goodwin is a better 3pt shooter? if so, that would be great

smith's outside shot looks horrible.   neither smith nor Goodwin are anything above average from the 3 point line, but at least Goodwin appears to have decent mechanics.   I think a lot of Goodwin's average completion percentage is a result of legs being somewhat weary because he plays so hard all the time.   Goodwin doesn't take time off when the clock is running ever. 

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

smith's outside shot looks horrible.   neither smith nor Goodwin are anything above average from the 3 point line, but at least Goodwin appears to have decent mechanics.   I think a lot of Goodwin's average completion percentage is a result of legs being somewhat weary because he plays so hard all the time.   Goodwin doesn't take time off when the clock is running ever. 

Smith was 44/117 this season from three, or .376.

Goodwin was 22/79, good for .278 from the perimeter.

The overall slash line is .523/.278/.555 for Goodwin and .607/.376/.801 for Smith.

Again, I agree that Goodwin is the more exciting player with the higher ceiling and absolutely the player I want for SLU right now, but Smith is the steadier shooter currently, regardless of form.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The overall slash line is .523/.278/.555 for Goodwin and .607/.376/.801 for Smith.

Again, I agree that Goodwin is the more exciting player with the higher ceiling and absolutely the player I want for SLU right now, but Smith is the steadier shooter currently, regardless of form.

I don't really know either way, but I wonder if the bum shoulder affected Goodwin. 

Also, I hope Smith goes to MSU. I like Izzo (despite Draymond's antics) and it would be fun to see both Mizzou and Illinois spurned by a guy in their relative backyards. 

Smith is a two sport athlete who went all in on the other sport a few months prior to his senior year. As a result, he went from OK stats as a junior to player of the year numbers as a senior. He has deep range, shoots 80% from the line and is capable of triple doubles at the high school level. Imagine how good he would be now if he had worked full-time on his basketball game the last four years.

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I don't really know either way, but I wonder if the bum shoulder affected Goodwin. 

Also, I hope Smith goes to MSU. I like Izzo (despite Draymond's antics) and it would be fun to see both Mizzou and Illinois spurned by a guy in their relative backyards. 

You'd hope the shoulder was some of it for JG, but to be fair, Smith also had the nagging baseball injury in his shooting arm.

It doesn't look like SLU is involved at all, so I'm not sure where I'd like him to end up. Illinois seemed to be the slight leader, and I think the early going with Underwood has been favorable.

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we are in heavily on Allen.  You can never have too many shooters, and we've got two schollies available.  He'd be a good pickup at this point.  I know some would rather have a big man, but I'm a firm believer in upgrading talent across the board right now.

Allen will probably be heavily in demand at this point, though.

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

In it's entire history, Edwardsville has about 20-25 guys who have scored 1,000 points. Three of them were on this year's team.

Does that kind of talent surrounding Smith enable better 3-point looks?

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Honestly I am just really surprised a lot of these schools still have openings this late in recruiting 

You must not follow the trends in the game. Players leave for the pros or transfers opening up slots. SLU is an example.

Allen is not coming here and after he shunned the Bills last year, good riddance Tool.

1 minute ago, Franchise_08 said:

You must not follow the trends in the game. Players leave for the pros or transfers opening up slots. SLU is an example.

Allen is not coming here and after he shunned the Bills last year, good riddance Tool.

No I do, a lot of schools like that are overbooked in recruits, I guess they just wait until post season for top openings.

I have already said Mark Smith is not and will not go to SLU.