Recruiting - 2016

It is. But, at worst, this is good publicity for our program. Word gets around quickly about who is considering what schools, which schools offered which players, etc. To be a real contender for a kid like Tatum is going to put our program on the map for some kids, and reinforce our program's positive momentum in the minds of others. So maybe we pull off the huge upset and land Tatum. Or, more likely, maybe a strong showing in his recruitment helps us land a quality recruit or two on the back end. There's a lot of upside either way.

to this day I still remember Akron being a possible landing spot if LeBron went to college. He would have likely chosen Ohio State, but Akron still got some press

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sticking to my guns but hoping I'm wrong. I think these 5 star players judge themselves by which elites are after them. Peer pressure is at play here, as in "I'm going to Duke", "Well, I'm going to UNC.", etc. Now, JT says, "I'm going to SLU." His fellow McD's look at him like he's crazy. Admittedly, I don't know this kid from Adam, and maybe he could give a hoot what his peers think, but you can't deny prestige doesn't come into play in the recruiting process. If it didn't don't you think we could have landed at least one top flight StL recruit in the past 18 years? Heck, we've had trouble landing the second tier St.L kids. Hate to be Dewey Downer here, but I'll be shocked if we land JT. Pleasantly shocked.

I'm sticking to my guns but hoping I'm wrong. I think these 5 star players judge themselves by which elites are after them. Peer pressure is at play here, as in "I'm going to Duke", "Well, I'm going to UNC.", etc. Now, JT says, "I'm going to SLU." His fellow McD's look at him like he's crazy. Admittedly, I don't know this kid from Adam, and maybe he could give a hoot what his peers think, but you can't deny prestige doesn't come into play in the recruiting process. If it didn't don't you think we could have landed at least one top flight StL recruit in the past 18 years? Heck, we've had trouble landing the second tier St.L kids. Hate to be Dewey Downer here, but I'll be shocked if we land JT. Pleasantly shocked.

I like to put numbers on things. I've got the probability we land Tatum as somewhere in the 20-30% range. I certainly wouldn't call it shocking if a 25% probability event came through but I wouldn't bet on it either. So what % chance do you give it, since you would be shocked if he came?

As to the peer pressure, at this point FBJT is the best of his peers. I doubt any of them could say squat to him about where he decides to go, especially since they all know he could go anywhere he wants. Peer pressure is most impactful on kids that are insecure about their standing (social or otherwise). I highly doubt FBJT is insecure at all.

I'll just toss out 10%. Why? Let's see Duke, UK, UNC, KU, FL all set to put the big blitz on him, can't see where we'd rank in the top 4 of those beasts. And I don't think Insecurity is the issue as much as status is. But all this is just a gut feeling based on our failure to land a big time local in the past. They get blinded by the bright lights. Again, I would welcome eating the crow pie if he chooses SLU, and I'll down it with blue Koolaid.

I'll just toss out 10%. Why? Let's see Duke, UK, UNC, KU, FL all set to put the big blitz on him, can't see where we'd rank in the top 4 of those beasts. And I don't think Insecurity is the issue as much as status is. But all this is just a gut feeling based on our failure to land a big time local in the past. They get blinded by the bright lights. Again, I would welcome eating the crow pie if he chooses SLU, and I'll down it with blue Koolaid.

Well there are certainly lots of reasons that the top players go to the elite programs and those programs certainly offer things we can't come even close to. The top players in the country are going to go to the top programs in the country 99 times out of a 100. Maybe Tatum is that 1. With his connections to SLU, the opportunity to play in front of his family and friends in his hometown, and his college choice seemingly not impacting him being a NBA lottery pick we at least have a chance (more than a chance than we likely ever will for a top #10 recruit) and have some things going for us that can't be matched by any other program recruiting him.

And don't forget the snowball effect ...... what others might say "hey, I want to play with him" and come to SLU. Like the Heat's Big Three for example.

I know when Hughes signed on, it kept Baniak and Tatum home but it also reeled Chris Heinrich in. When else would we have been considerd by a 6'10" kid from the Philly suburbs? Justin Love was rumored to sign on so he too could play with Hughes. Of course, that never happened. Hughes' signing rumored us in on Quentin Richardson (DePaul) and Pete Mickeal (Cincinnati). The shoulda-coulda-wouldas were endless back then and we were all giddy.

I agree with the stance that a #1 kid will always be a #1 kid no matter where he goes. But the chances are diminished when he goes with a bunch of other Mickey D AAs to the bigger pond like UK, Duke and so on in a weird, "twisted-logic" sort of way. I'll bet the reception for Hughes in and around St. Louis is a lot better than it is for Parker in Durham, Wiggins in Lawrence (he'll never go back), or Randle in Lexington.

It'll also be bigger than the reception Tatum will get in Durham, Lawrence, or Lexington.

I recall JT's dad saying something like when the Legend committed to SLU he and Baniak all decided it would be good to stay at home to try and build SLU into something special. Now, if dad can convince JT and his group that would be a good thing, well, we might just have a shot. And some on here who are supposedly in the know have said, Ms. T would be happy to see him stay at home. Interesting situation, but not getting my hopes up this somehow comes together.

It's way too early to be placing odds. We appear to be a real contender, which is as good as anyone could hope for at this point.

Also, the kid's apparently putting on quite a show at LBJ. Although one look at the coaches (and their high-profile friends) in attendance will tell you everything you need to know about how difficult it's going to be to land Tatum. But we're in the race, and hopefully Crews & co. are prepared to stay in the race.

Will you be sure to let us know when it is ok to place odds. Thanks.

lol ok buddy. In all seriousness, though, right now it's just blind guessing and reading tea leaves. I guess it's the offseason, so anything goes. But it still feels like a lesson in futility trying to handicap things at this point. If that's how you get your kicks, though, then go for it I guess.

My advice, for what it's worth, figure him gone. If he chooses SLU pick a bar and pretend it's NY Eve, XMAS, and Mardi Gras all rolled into one.

My advice, stop posting in this thread if you know he's not coming here. Oh yeah, that's right, you have no idea but want to be the pessimist who says we have basically no shot

Pshh, its 50/50. He can be a legend, or a tool. Up to him.

Jayson Legend or Legend Tatum just doesn't sound as good as Larry Legend. There's no alliteration. Of course, we'll be just fine if he says no, but he being FBJT, I thought he deserves better. I thought maybe Towering Tatum but that makes him sound like a C. And then I thought maybe Jayson and the Argonauts for his supporting players while here (that one's not half bad). Finally, I looked legend up in ye ol' thesaurus, but it seems there is a dearth of synonyms for legend that begin with J or T. The best I could come up with was Terminological Inexactitude Tatum, which rolls off the tongue with inexactitude.

If JT is planning on being a one and done, it doesn't matter where he goes. So, he might just as well stay home so his family can enjoy his play.

Jayson Legend or Legend Tatum just doesn't sound as good as Larry Legend. There's no alliteration. Of course, we'll be just fine if he says no, but he being FBJT, I thought he deserves better. I thought maybe Towering Tatum but that makes him sound like a C. And then I thought maybe Jayson and the Argonauts for his supporting players while here (that one's not half bad). Finally, I looked legend up in ye ol' thesaurus, but it seems there is a dearth of synonyms for legend that begin with J or T. The best I could come up with was Terminological Inexactitude Tatum, which rolls off the tongue with inexactitude.

The Titan Tatum.

And don't forget the snowball effect ...... what others might say "hey, I want to play with him" and come to SLU. Like the Heat's Big Three for example.

I know when Hughes signed on, it kept Baniak and Tatum home but it also reeled Chris Heinrich in. When else would we have been considerd by a 6'10" kid from the Philly suburbs? Justin Love was rumored to sign on so he too could play with Hughes. Of course, that never happened. Hughes' signing rumored us in on Quentin Richardson (DePaul) and Pete Mickeal (Cincinnati). The shoulda-coulda-wouldas were endless back then and we were all giddy.

I agree with the stance that a #1 kid will always be a #1 kid no matter where he goes. But the chances are diminished when he goes with a bunch of other Mickey D AAs to the bigger pond like UK, Duke and so on in a weird, "twisted-logic" sort of way. I'll bet the reception for Hughes in and around St. Louis is a lot better than it is for Parker in Durham, Wiggins in Lawrence (he'll never go back), or Randle in Lexington.

The biggest problem with your hoped for snowball effect is that, I believe, we only have one other scholarship to give if FBJT does commit to the Bills. No one will commit the next year, knowing that FBJT would only be here one year.

The biggest problem with your hoped for snowball effect is that, I believe, we only have one other scholarship to give if FBJT does commit to the Bills. No one will commit the next year, knowing that FBJT would only be here one year.

Jimmy Whitt and Tatum are good friends. Whitt is a 2015 recruit.

Jordan Barnes, Tyler Cook and Xavier Sneed are all SLU targets that play ball with Tatum.

Tatum's commitment would set a precedent for local guys in the future (Jeremiah Tillmon, Courtney Ramey, etc.) that you can be big-time and still stay home.