Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all enamored with Jayson Tatum but Sneed is an under the radar talent. Great to see us making an early offer to him. Sneed could definetly be a star at the D-1 level.

Looks like he also visited Vanderbilt, so he's probably a pretty smart kid.

I don't think him visiting Vandy for basketball says anything about his academic prowess, unfortunately.

I think it does. Vanderbilt isn't going to take many risks, especially after kicking last year's leading scorer off the team.

I can promise you that the Vanderbilt basketball recruits are generally no better in school than most other D-1 team's recruits.

I don't like that Kasas, Iowa and Purdue have all offered before SLU has.

I think being the first to offer is one of the more over-rated concepts on this board. Sometimes you better distinguish yourself by playing hard to get and creating a feeling that receiving a scholarship offer from SLU is a really big deal. As long as we are still having conversations with Cook and building our relationship with him, then I have confidence that our staff will know when to best offer him a scholly.

Is cook that good, or is this more of a tactic from ku towards Tatum.

Cook definitely has a long way to go, but he does show some potential. He is definitely not the caliber of recruit Kansas would offer without his connection to Jayson. I am assuming this is not a commitable offer on its own, but rather part of a package.

Trying not to downgrade a recruit but I question also whether Cook is worthy of a KU offer. He's a top 250 player currently. Usually they go for a little higher than that. I've seen him several times, he just doesn't strike me as being that high of a prospect.

Trying not to downgrade a recruit but I question also whether Cook is worthy of a KU offer. He's a top 250 player currently. Usually they go for a little higher than that. I've seen him several times, he just doesn't strike me as being that high of a prospect.

Agreed. He may very well improve and become a top 150 type of player, but he is definitely not there at this point (unless he has drastically improved this spring). I got out to a number of Chaminade games this winter and for the most part was unimpressed by him (incredibly heavy on his feet, slow to react to block shots and rebound, and not much ability beyond five feet), but he did show some flashes in the post when Chaminade played at CBC and that showed me some of the potential I have heard about numerous times from his coaches.

Saying a kid is not the caliber of a KU offer is not really crushing a kid as they mostly only target 5 and 4 star type talents at this point in the recruiting process. I personally am not sure whether SLU should offer him and because of that I really like our approach with him and Jordan Barnes (don't think he has an offer either) of building the relationship without extending an offer at this point.

Agreed. He may very well improve and become a top 150 type of player, but he is definitely not there at this point (unless he has drastically improved this spring). I got out to a number of Chaminade games this winter and for the most part was unimpressed by him (incredibly heavy on his feet, slow to react to block shots and rebound, and not much ability beyond five feet), but he did show some flashes in the post when Chaminade played at CBC and that showed me some of the potential I have heard about numerous times from his coaches.

Saying a kid is not the caliber of a KU offer is not really crushing a kid as they mostly only target 5 and 4 star type talents at this point in the recruiting process. I personally am not sure whether SLU should offer him and because of that I really like our approach with him and Jordan Barnes (don't think he has an offer either) of building the relationship without extending an offer at this point.

-and those flashes were mostly coming against a Big12 recruit two years his senior (make any Rick Barnes comments, he mostly deserves them)

-I am on the Tyler Cook bandwagon for this reason, as a frosh he was a big (see fat) kid and I was shocked to see what he looked like as a soph as his body developed a great deal, shows me he is a worker and he his game improved as well, if that sort of progression is maintained I can see a good player for SLU

-but he is also going to be a hs junior, so there is time for him to sail or fail, I see more sailing, time will tell, I hope we don't need 12 evaluations before we engage

-and those flashes were mostly coming against a Big12 recruit two years his senior (make any Rick Barnes comments, he mostly deserves them)

I don't think Jordan Barnett was guarding Tyler Cook very much. Cook had a nice run when Tatum was out of the game and I think Armon Watts, Arkansas football recruit, was the one guarding him at the time.